Sponsored by:

3LT Leather Quality and new Impala

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:53 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default 3LT Leather Quality and new Impala

After sitting in a 2LT and a 3LT I was not all that impressed with the Napa leather that is supposed to be a premium over the stock leather.

Leather quality tends to run across the board in a company with the exception of high end vehicles.

I discounted it as typical GM inexpensive leather marketed as higher end. Jeep does the same thing, the leather in the new GC is OK but pay for the Overland with its better leather and minus the holes the material quality was not all that much higher.

Never gave it much thought until I sat in a new Impala. I don't know if its real or fake but the leather in a 38K Impala was fantastic.

Best interior surface feel out of a lot of cars I've been in.

Considering they were covering the front and back seats you would think they would have put a higher quality material in the C7 especially for the 3LT interior.

I don't mean its a little nicer. It is the best leather seating surface I've sat in short of very high end luxury cars.

It may have been real, it may have been fake but what I care about is the look and feel of the material rather than the name associated with it.

I'm trying to find a pic of that interior but all I'm seeing is the flatter leather similar to the C7.

Closest I could find was http://www.chevrolet.com/impala-4-do...or-photos.html

You can click through and on the close ups see the material, it felt very thick, soft, etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I just had my vette serviced and thought the leather in the 40 grand new LTZ impala was horrible....I would never have stated it but when I read your opinion I was shocked. I'll have to go and check out the impala s leather again...and I apologize if I recant....it was the 40 grand price tag that really surprised me and the leather was terrible as far as I remember...

I'm a huge gm enthusiast but the leather so far has been less than fantastic.

JMO
Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I just had my vette serviced and thought the leather in the 40 grand new LTZ impala was horrible....I would never have stated it but when I read your opinion I was shocked. I'll have to go and check out the impala s leather again...and I apologize if I recant....it was the 40 grand price tag that really surprised me and the leather was terrible as far as I remember...

I'm a huge gm enthusiast but the leather so far has been less than fantastic.

JMO
I would suspect the vehicle I was looking at had a premium interior.

From the pics it looks like the brown/off brown colors from Chevy's website are very similar to what is in the C7.

The black however looked much better and felt much better.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently looked at the new Impala. I thought the interior was very nice including the quality of the leather. Better than our C6 Corvette for sure. I asked about all wheel drive. Don't offer all wheel drive. I told the Chevrolet salesman that right next door the Buick LaCross is $1,000 more with all wheel drive and heads up which the Impala doesn't have either. Also. the Buick had price incentives that the Impala does not have.

My initial impression was very good on the Impala. Ii think I'll go with the Buick this fall.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I would suspect the vehicle I was looking at had a premium interior.

From the pics it looks like the brown/off brown colors from Chevy's website are very similar to what is in the C7.

The black however looked much better and felt much better.
I assumed with the 40 grand price tag the Impala had the best interior leather. I hope you are correct.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This fall the new Impala SS will make its debut with a 415HP LS3

To me it is an insult to chevy performance buffs to only offer us an LS3 when they have both a higher performance twin turbo V6 available to use or the new LT1.

Meanwhile Australia's performance fans are being given a 580HP LSA in their version of the Impala SS

Napa leather does not help much if you're only weapon is a knife when showing up for a gun fight
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Impala is actually pretty nice. GM's doing a really good job.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the Impala interior was great and the car seemed HUGE to me. Way bigger than I will ever need.
I really hope the interior of the Vette impresses me even more.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What do we know about the leather GM is using in the C7? Leather falls into a number of types and types of tanning methods used. Here's a link to the Wikipedia discussion on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather
Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike S
What do we know about the leather GM is using in the C7? Leather falls into a number of types and types of tanning methods used. Here's a link to the Wikipedia discussion on the topic:

Leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I can tell you from sitting in the car it feels thin and overly stretched in the Kalahari due to the light color.

Brownstone looked better but did not necessarily feel better.

I'm hoping the red has more of a feel to it since I'm leaning towards white/black wheels/red interior in a 2LT.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
I recently looked at the new Impala. I thought the interior was very nice including the quality of the leather. Better than our C6 Corvette for sure. I asked about all wheel drive. Don't offer all wheel drive. I told the Chevrolet salesman that right next door the Buick LaCross is $1,000 more with all wheel drive and heads up which the Impala doesn't have either. Also. the Buick had price incentives that the Impala does not have.

My initial impression was very good on the Impala. Ii think I'll go with the Buick this fall.
The LaCrosse also has a 4yr/50,000 bumper to bumper warranty vs Impala's 3/36
Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Buick is making some nice cars right now. I recently bought my wife the new Enclave. Nice ride.

Their exterior and interior styling is hitting the right notes. And I agree with you, if the Buick is only 1k more than the Impala, I'd take the Buick.

I haven't had a chance to see the C7 leather interior yet (or the car). It needs to be nice, tho, IMO.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

OnPoint. Yes the Buick is only $1,000 more than the Impala and at that price it has all wheel drive and heads up. Now subtract the incentive (I forgot how much and these things change) of 1,000 to 1,500 and t is priced below the Impals. The Chevrolet salesman was left trying to sell me a car in Colorado without all wheel drive. Buick has made some nice changes to the 2014 La Cross

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Leather Quality and new Impala

Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

OnPoint. Yes the Buick is only $1,000 more than the Impala and at that price it has all wheel drive and heads up. Now subtract the incentive (I forgot how much and these things change) of 1,000 to 1,500 and t is priced below the Impals. The Chevrolet salesman was left trying to sell me a car in Colorado without all wheel drive. Buick has made some nice changes to the 2014 La Cross
You wouldn't normally catch me in a sedan but I drove one as a rental car. I was impressed. I don't know what year model it was.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by p4snow
The LaCrosse also has a 4yr/50,000 bumper to bumper warranty vs Impala's 3/36
I'd bet money that the extra year and 14K miles doesn't make a significant difference. In my experience warranty issues are going to show up in the first few thousand miles. If you haven't had any issues by 36,000 miles odds are you probably won't have any issues until you're well out of warranty.

It's been that way with our 05 Silverado and our 08 Malibu. Both had a few minor warranty issue well with in the 36K and once they were fixed they been great. The truck has 175K and the car has 160K. The trucks been without a warranty since 2007 and the car has without a warranty since 2010.

When people talk about car warranties it reminds me of this scene:

Quick Reply: 3LT Leather Quality and new Impala