Sponsored by:

Why would you buy a Jag F type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I always love hearing this kind of nonsense.
The Jag has a sphincter for a nose, IMHO. It polarizes the heck outta me, mainly because...
it's a friggen Jag! AAHHHHHHHH!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czmb6tEwFE8
A lot of people here aught o go back to school either for re education or to get their fees back.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
A lot of people here aught o go back to school either for re education or to get their fees back.
Yes, so you can learn how to spell and use the word 'ought' vs 'aught'.
"aught" .... (seldom used) - but it means "a quantity of no importance"
"ought" ... a common word that is used to express duty
Hey, we gotta have some fun via the competition. It's an old tradition to make fun of most Jaguars.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

XKR is still 1000x better looking than the F-Type.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I sometimes wonder about some of the replies I read on the forum. Granted we are all here (well most of us anyway) because we all happen to be Corvette enthusiast. But I never have understood why we have post like this one. Why ask a question like this on the Corvette forum except to see how many will try and make what they think is a comical remark, or to see how many will put down the other brand of car.
Remember in the eyes of many out there Corvette owners are all over weight old men with gold chains that are trying to relive their lost childhood. So why try and pick on another brand, be it Jaguar, Porsche, Audi or what ever. I look at all of them and find good points as well as bad points. Lets face it we can do the same with our beloved Corvette's.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I sometimes wonder about some of the replies I read on the forum. Granted we are all here (well most of us anyway) because we all happen to be Corvette enthusiast. But I never have understood why we have post like this one. Why ask a question like this on the Corvette forum except to see how many will try and make what they think is a comical remark, or to see how many will put down the other brand of car.
Remember in the eyes of many out there Corvette owners are all over weight old men with gold chains that are trying to relive their lost childhood. So why try and pick on another brand, be it Jaguar, Porsche, Audi or what ever. I look at all of them and find good points as well as bad points. Lets face it we can do the same with our beloved Corvette's.

Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replies and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 07-24-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

JAGUAR = Just A Ghastly Unreliable Automobile, Really.

Used to be, anyway. I doubt Jag or anybody else could get away with low quality in today's world. And Jags have E-type heritage, the Royal Family drives them (or not, who cares), sound great, and look great.

Some people think Jaguars project wealth and class and good taste, and therefore impress clients and prospects. They may be right. To paraphrase the old Wall Street saying--think Yiddish, drive British.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replys and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious.
The sad thing is, many of the people putting down the Jag ARE serious.

Michael
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm with you. I'm a car guy - not a Corvette guy. Before anyone gets all bent over that statement, I've owned seven Corvettes and I think that at some point I probably will own another.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The sad thing is, many of the people putting down the Jag ARE serious.

Michael

^ I sure hope they are the few and far between. I hope most of the chatter is humorously intended
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replies and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious.
Granted, some of the replies have been amusing, but I was trying to point of that I don't understand the OP reason for even asking a question like that on the Corvette Forum. If he really wants to know what would make someone buy a Jag, he need to maybe go the Jaguar forum and ask them.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I think the OP has or had cross shopped the Jag, not sure if he would admit it though. I would never buy one myself but I think the FI V8 Vert is pretty nice and rcvd high marks from Tommy Kendall when he tested it.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drmustang
They buy the F type for the same reason people allow themselves to be bent over, raped, and robbed on a Boxster or a Cayman. Its all about the small minded ones pursuit of status. They certainly are not buying these vest pocket engine powered 2 seaters for their barn burning street performance.
It is amazing how many people compensate for their shortcomings this way. The Porsche boys have mastered the exploitation of these individuals and raised it to an art form. They present their entry level offerings with prices that are grossly in excess of what the car could physically ever deliver but get away with it because the buyer knows this vehicle will be perceived as a 100K+, flash item by the majority of the public.
funny you make fun of people buying caymans which was the c7's benchmark in handling and chassis feel. idiot.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Granted, some of the replies have been amusing, but I was trying to point of that I don't understand the OP reason for even asking a question like that on the Corvette Forum. If he really wants to know what would make someone buy a Jag, he need to maybe go the Jaguar forum and ask them.
I'll tell you why.

Because there is so much whining on this forum about that the C7 has "only 460" Hp and a 3LT interior that costs 4 grand and doesn't come with a DCT etc etc, I thought it would be good to see how someone else approached a clean sheet designed 2 seat sports car and how much weaker it looks in comparison.

I ask again-- if Chevy made this car with a supercharged V6 and 380 Hp that costed 12 grand more, would you think that was ok?

Somehow I have a feeling I don't think so.

So why would that be adequate for a Jag?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Prestige of a Porsche Cayman or Boxster. If I lined up 100 people that I know (not necessarily Corvette owners) and asked them if they thought either of the above cars is prestigious, or well regarded among the Porsche lineup, not even a majority would agree. Good cars nonetheless. Better in many ways than a Miata or S200 but not a prestige vehicle. jmo.
Even Hollywood has begun to recognize the Boxster as a joke. Anybody seen the trailer for the new movie "Girl Most Likely"?

Him - "You scratched my Porsche!!"

Her - "Sir, it's a Boxster........"

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-24-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
funny you make fun of people buying caymans which was the c7's benchmark in handling and chassis feel. idiot.
X100 on the Idiot! I think his ol lady ran off with a P car owner.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

A subsidiary of Tata motors.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Sin City
I'll tell you why.

Because there is so much whining on this forum about that the C7 has "only 460" Hp and a 3LT interior that costs 4 grand and doesn't come with a DCT etc etc, I thought it would be good to see how someone else approached a clean sheet designed 2 seat sports car and how much weaker it looks in comparison.

I ask again-- if Chevy made this car with a supercharged V6 and 380 Hp that costed 12 grand more, would you think that was ok?

Well if Chevrolet made a supercharged V6 and put it in a Corvette, would we/I buy. Most likely no, but then again they don't so why asked "Why would you buy a Jag F type?" I said from the outset of the C7 introduction with the estimated 455 HP, that it was enough for me. Sure more HP is always great, but I fail to see why we all seem to think that we need 600Hp or 700HP or what ever. Unless you track the car, where in most parts of the country can you use all the HP available in the C7. All the big HP numbers are, are bragging rights at the local cruise in.
As far as the F type Jag goes, it is a great looking car. As far as the expense, you can say the same for the Ferrari, but people still buy them.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would you buy a Jag F type?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I'll tell you why.

Your points are all valid, but buying these types of cars are not always (not usually) objective decisions. They are more about lifestyle than they are about numbers. I have a very close friend who has had several Jaguars, and his wife currently drives a 2013 510 hp XKR. They could care less whether it's faster, slower, handles better etc than a Corvette or anything else. His wife loves the car and that is all that matters. He wrote a check for the car and will never miss the money.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Would not even consider a Jaguar as no,manual transmission option.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The question was 'would you buy a Jag F type' and I, comically but realistically, said no because it is a Jag(!). Jags have a bad reputation (in my mind from some past acquaintances' experiences) for being unreliable cars and I wouldn't own one based on that and other factors. Add to that it is a very pricy car that I've had little interest in and there you have it.

Is that better?

Quick Reply: Why would you buy a Jag F type?