Why would you buy a Jag F type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The only recorded drag race between a StingRay and a Jag...

Corvettes just handle better!
Uh, actually, the Corvette crashed.................... Why do you think he was talking to the "Doc"?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City
I found the Mac 12c hard to get in and out of gracefully. I can't see my GF ever wanting to get into one. She definitely wouldn't wear a skirt!
Doesn't seem to bother the girl in your avatar................
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
X100 on the Idiot! I think his ol lady ran off with a P car owner.
Yeah kinda like the "idiot" who posts on a Corvette forum, rips on the C7 20 times a day, every day of the week for the last 8 months. Nothin wrong with that guy.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Uh, actually, the Corvette crashed.................... Why do you think he was talking to the "Doc"?

OK, I'll give you that they both crashed somehow but he is talking to the doc about the other guy who died, hence "Dead Man's Curve". He saw the Jag slide into the curve. Even the cover art shows the Jag crashing through the barriers.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-25-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The Jag is a luxury car that happens to also be a sports car. The Corvette is a sports car that tries very hard to not appear like an economy car inside.

Different strokes for different folks. Kinda like asking why someone would buy an S550 over a 300C SRT8, or why someone would buy an oceanfront condo in FL over 5000 acres in Montana. People just like different things.

That said, I wouldn't buy the F-Type as it sits, IMO the XK is a better looking car.
Do you mean the "F Type" is a luxury car that happens to be a sports car? If so, I don't have a clue why you think that. You apparently have not seen the car in person and have not read the tests on the car. It's every bit as much of a sports car as a Corvette.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
They buy the F type for the same reason people allow themselves to be bent over, raped, and robbed on a Boxster or a Cayman. Its all about the small minded ones pursuit of status. They certainly are not buying these vest pocket engine powered 2 seaters for their barn burning street performance.
It is amazing how many people compensate for their shortcomings this way. The Porsche boys have mastered the exploitation of these individuals and raised it to an art form. They present their entry level offerings with prices that are grossly in excess of what the car could physically ever deliver but get away with it because the buyer knows this vehicle will be perceived as a 100K+, flash item by the majority of the public.
Your posts all seem to have a common thread.
Anyone who buys a car that costs more than a Vette for whatever their reason is compensating for something or have a desperate need for "status".
I say if you can afford it go for the best things in life. And yeah, a Ferrari or a Lambo are really nice things in life.
Whether you agree or not is moot, 99% of the car world agrees.
Some people can afford the finer things. A bigger house than you, a better restaurant than you and yes, a better car than you.
They don't consider it wasting money.
It would appear that the one trying to compensate for their low self esteem and equally low income level is you.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Anyone who buys a car that costs more than a Vette for whatever their reason is compensating for something or have a desperate need for "status".
I say if you can afford it go for the best things in life. And yeah, a Ferrari or a Lambo are really nice things in life.
Some people can afford the finer things. A bigger house than you, a better restaurant than you and yes, a better car than you.
It would appear that the one trying to compensate for their low self esteem and equally low income level is you.
Sorry to disappoint you Pal but I can afford a Porsche, easily, and more than one of them. Had a Porsche years ago and it sucked. I see them as very poor performance values when compared to the Corvette. Rah Rah, Porsche!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Jag's reliability/durability. It's a Jag after all.

Maybe after a few years if the model proves out to be an exception in this regard.

The car looks great, but reliability of a Jag is just not good for me.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
OK, I'll give you that they both crashed somehow but he is talking to the doc about the other guy who died, hence "Dead Man's Curve". He saw the Jag slide into the curve. Even the cover art shows the Jag crashing through the barriers.
Yup - "the last thing I remember, Doc, I started to swerve..." Sounds like a definite case of PTSD amnesia to me!

BTW - WTF kinda Jag is that on the album cover? I've never seen a XKE with a grille like that. Looks more like a XK 120 grille turned sideways!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glenmcp

The car looks great, but reliability of a Jag is just not good for me.
My '73 XJ6 with a sbc and 700R4 is dead nuts reliable!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
LMAO!!!!!!!!! Well said...
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed

I'd say most (sure, not all but most) buyers of a Jag F-type or Porsche Cayman, SLK55, etc. are shallow and insecure because they are willing to pay extra just to portray status.
Really? Like you can get inside the mind of individuals and KNOW their motives? Wow. How impressive.

How about somebody buys "product x" because they want one, and because they can- period?
To be honest, there are as much ridiculous attitudes about Corvette drivers, too.

Back on the OP, the Jag is what it is, and IMHO, the new C7 Z51 brings an awful lot to the table... in bucketloads....for nearly 60% of the price (fully loaded) of a fully-loaded Jaguar F-type S V8.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 07-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I really want to attend that- signed up and everything.
But alas something came up.
Would have be much fun.
Sounds like you enjoy'd yourself.

Originally Posted by C6BOB
Funny you should mention this. Last Friday I went to a Jaguar Alive Driving Experience in Alameda, CA. I drove a supercharged V6 F-Type, a supercharged V8 F-Type, a supercharged V8 XFR sedan, and a supercharged V8 XKR. Jaguar apparently likes superchargers! They're all great cars, but the supercharged V8 cars all had an explosive surge when you get on it, which makes it hard to get around a course without losing control. I managed. It was fun, but Jaguars are too expensive for what you get. The cheapest V6 F-Type is $69,000, and options take you higher. The biggest surprise was the tiny trunk - a bowling ball, a briefcase, and a set of golf clubs. That's all that will fit at the same time.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And why is that ..... I ask.
Seems to me quite essential.

Originally Posted by sam90lx
At least the Jag vert has roll bar hoops, something the C7 vert should have.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I drove this supercharged V6 last month. Very nice car. then I jumped back into my C6 for a direct comparison and there was none. The C6 rode better, handled better, and had way more power, but the Jag had a stunning interior.

If my C6 blew it away, just imagine what the C7 will do. I guess it's a great car if you have more money than brains, you need the dubious status, or you like unreliable cars.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Damn I really want to attend that- signed up and everything.
But alas something came up.
Would have be much fun.
Sounds like you enjoy'd yourself.
Well, it was fun, but we only got one lap for each car - that's not enough!

Quick Reply: Why would you buy a Jag F type?