Sponsored by:

Why would you buy a Jag F type?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Why would you buy a Jag F type?

1) It's more expensive. Base model is 12 grand more than C7 Convertible. Yes, a full 12 grand. And options are also more expensive.

2) the base model is a V6 supercharged but only has 340 HP -- 120 LESS than the base C7.

3) It's only available in a convertible -- no coupes.

4) It has a manual or 8 speed auto (not a DCT)

5) It has an Ediff but only on the most expensive model. (Base has a mechanical limited slip diff)

6) Even it's top of the line 495 HP model is slower 0-60 than a base C7 by 0.3 seconds.

7) The base V6 supercharged gets worse fuel economy than base C7 or Z51 models. The S model has 6 worse MPG than the base C7.

8) The interior is nothing special to look at. I personally find the C7 interior much better looking than the rather ordinary F type. The C7 convertible waterfall is beautiful.

9) It's a porker at 3550 "curb" and 4450 pounds "gross".

I'm serious here... aside from the Jag name, or maybe you prefer the style, or maybe you just want to be different, why would you buy an F type?

And, for those who belly ache about the C7, how would you think if Chevy cranked this out for ya?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sin City; 07-24-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive the v8 S model the other day because I was bored and I had a few hours to kill in houston before I had to catch a flight. The interior is sharp and I think it will be a little better than the interior on the C7, but that would be the only thing better about it. It is small inside, I'm only 5'9" and I just had enough leg room. I guess the best way to describe it is that is a miata on steroids. It is fast, and since it is small it feels faster than it really is. Actually it it just like a boxster in that regard.

That being said the C7 wins hands down. I guess people buy the jag if they don't need super car type of speed, because for most people the s type is really fast.

Last edited by Davidl81; 07-24-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Funny you should mention this. Last Friday I went to a Jaguar Alive Driving Experience in Alameda, CA. I drove a supercharged V6 F-Type, a supercharged V8 F-Type, a supercharged V8 XFR sedan, and a supercharged V8 XKR. Jaguar apparently likes superchargers! They're all great cars, but the supercharged V8 cars all had an explosive surge when you get on it, which makes it hard to get around a course without losing control. I managed. It was fun, but Jaguars are too expensive for what you get. The cheapest V6 F-Type is $69,000, and options take you higher. The biggest surprise was the tiny trunk - a bowling ball, a briefcase, and a set of golf clubs. That's all that will fit at the same time.

Last edited by C7 BOB; 07-24-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

No. Why step down from a C7 ( or a new C6 GS/Z06/ZR1 for that matter). The Corvette is the best street supercar made. Period.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

I dig vettes but since you asked for a reason some would ever chose a jaguar f type is because....their priority is to buy a chick magnet...

The new jaguar f type will be an insane chick magnet...

JAg U AR! Just saying it makes the girls get all hot and steamy..

I'm married so I don't give a crap but for those guys and gals that do....no better under 100 grand import....

Just my two cents.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Nope
I still think it looks like a pregnant Miata

USAF
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

They buy the F type for the same reason people allow themselves to be bent over, raped, and robbed on a Boxster or a Cayman. Its all about the small minded ones pursuit of status. They certainly are not buying these vest pocket engine powered 2 seaters for their barn burning street performance.
It is amazing how many people compensate for their shortcomings this way. The Porsche boys have mastered the exploitation of these individuals and raised it to an art form. They present their entry level offerings with prices that are grossly in excess of what the car could physically ever deliver but get away with it because the buyer knows this vehicle will be perceived as a 100K+, flash item by the majority of the public.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
They buy the F type for the same reason people allow themselves to be bent over, raped, and robbed on a Boxster or a Cayman. Its all about the small minded ones pursuit of status. They certainly are not buying these vest pocket engine powered 2 seaters for their barn burning street performance.
It is amazing how many people compensate for their shortcomings this way. The Porsche boys have mastered the exploitation of these individuals and raised it to an art form. They present their entry level offerings with prices that are grossly in excess of what the car could physically ever deliver but get away with it because the buyer knows this vehicle will be perceived as a 100K+, flash item by the majority of the public.

I'd say most (sure, not all but most) buyers of a Jag F-type or Porsche Cayman, SLK55, etc. are shallow and insecure because they are willing to pay extra just to portray status.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NO! IT'S A FRIGGEN JAG!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF
Nope
I still think it looks like a pregnant Miata

USAF
I cannot even imagine what you are thinking when you say that. Have you seen one in person? I looked at them a couple of weeks ago and in person I found them better looking than the pictures show. I liked a lot of things about the car. I personally would not buy one either because of the cost and lack of space in the car and extremely small trunk. But I still liked the car a lot. I have not driven one though.

Originally Posted by drmustang
And how many thousands of times have we heard the same thing said about Corvette owners? And truth is, an awful lot of Corvette owners really do buy them for exactly these reasons.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Or, maybe it is bought by that part of the population that prefers to to have Euro styling. Not every one with cash has good smarts or excellent taste. Then there is the thought that some of these cars are good looking and carry with them a sound history, many with a storied racing career. If all were like us Chevrolet would never be able to build enough Corvettes and the waiting line would be horrid. So, please let them buy Euro and I can get my Corvette sooner rather than later.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"9) It's a porker at 3550 "curb" and 4450 pounds "gross"."

Not sure if you know, but gross vehicle weight may not be what you think it is. Here is the definition from CarsDirect.com (and per the description of both compartments for holding people and luggage, I'm not sure how the car would add 900 additional pounds, but that's what it's rated at for Gross Vehicle Weight [GVW]):

[emphasis added]

"Curb Weight vs Gross Vehicle Weight

Many people become confused by the terms "curb weight" and "gross vehicle weight." It may seem contradictory that your vehicle could have two separate weights at the same time. Fortunately, however, there is an easy explanation for the difference between these two types of measuring the weight of your vehicle. It's important to keep these things in mind, particularly if the difference between these weights places your car in a different weight class or can present a difficulty with crossing overbridges, for instance.

Curb Weight

The curb weight of your vehicle is the weight of the car with all of the standard equipment and amenities, but without any passengers, cargo or any other separately loaded items in it. Thus, the curb weight is the amount that the vehicle weighs when it's resting on the curb and not in use. This is generally the standard weight that the manufacturer assigns to the car.

Gross Vehicle Weight

The gross vehicle weight is the combined weight of the vehicle and all passengers and cargo pieces in "gross," that is to say, in total. Gross vehicle weight is especially important if you're driving in a delicate area or if you're carry exceptionally heavy cargo. Gross vehicle weight is particularly important for truck drivers, who may be carrying huge quantities of cargo that might alter the total weight of the vehicle considerably."
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Jag's reliability/durability. It's a Jag after all.

Maybe after a few years if the model proves out to be an exception in this regard.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

1. Because its not a Corvette or a Porsche

2. It fits right in between the Corvette and the 911 in terms of pricing, at least the V8s model

3. Rarity, you're not going to see many around

4. It performs pretty well with the V6S's performing similarly to the Boxster S and the V8S performing like the Corvette and the 991S

5. You like Jaguars

6. It sounds and looks awesome to most people

7. You like European cars more than American ones

Pretty simple. People like to rag on Jaguars but recently their quality and durability is more than on par with comparable automakers. They make some pretty cool stuff.

I've driven the F-Type V8S, 991S, and C6 427 'Vert, all recently and each has there ups and downs but I can't say any of them are bad. They're all awesome.

EDIT: I'll be very, very surprised if the base C7 is quicker than the V8S in a magazine test. That thing moves.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Because the leaping cat is a better logo than a roadkill squid?

Only reason I can think of…
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I hate to break your bubble, but not everyone out there is a Corvette type of person. It is call preference, individuality and so on.. Many that buy the Jag have been Jag owners for years and happen to like them. Maybe they are not totally wrapped up in the HP game and 0-60 times.
You can ask the same question, Why would you buy a Boxter or Cayman over a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would you buy a Jag F type?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Why do some buy a Lexus instead of a Toyota?

Why do some buy an Acura instead of a Honda?

Why do some buy a Cadillac instead of a Chevrolet?

Why do some buy an Infiniti instead of a Nissan?

Maybe it's because they can afford the more expensive version and maybe they feel the additional expenditure is worth it to them.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1. I love to overpay

2. I love a car that under performs

3. The Service area at my Jag dealer is my kind of hang out

4. I want the fastest depreciating car in my neighborhood

5. All the best people are on the Jaguar Forum . . . . . . .
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I could see someone picking the Jaguar based on styling. The C7 has some polaring aspects to its styling. The Jaguar just looks good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why would you buy a Jag F type?