Sponsored by:

Price as tested

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price as tested

Having read the reviews all posted here I've noticed one common theme, all the cars as tested were in the 66-68k range, what happened to 52k? It appears as has been said before to get a well equipped C7 it's going to be near 70k, maybe over in some instances. Doesn't seem like such a huge bargain as it's been portrayed to be and before all the defenders get all twisted let it be known I'm just stating a fact.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 AM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool man. Thanks for your story.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Having read the reviews all posted here I've noticed one common theme, all the cars as tested were in the 66-68k range, what happened to 52k? It appears as has been said before to get a well equipped C7 it's going to be near 70k, maybe over in some instances. Doesn't seem like such a huge bargain as it's been portrayed to be and before all the defenders get all twisted let it be known I'm just stating a fact.
This is common in the auto industry...when's the last time you saw a Porsche Cayman S tested that wasn't almost $100k after all the goodies are added in that make the car that much more amazing.

Chevy is gonna give the press their most appealing setup...aka the best performing. The Z51 package is a no brainer, MSRC also no-brainer, NPP exhaust...ding ding ding...no-brainer. It also had the 2LT with NAV, carbon interior trim, and the glass roof. When you are competing for attention in a crowded world of cars, are you seriously gonna throw the media your most stripped down, zero option model to let the media pick it apart? No, you give the media the package that has all the bells and whistles...remember, Porsche is the intended target. You know, the brand where everything is an option and nothing comes standard.

Of course it would be interesting to see a comparison of the base, zero option Vette, versus a Cayman at the same price point. Pretty sure it would be very one sided.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 AM
post-it
Racer

My C7 list at $65,600, it is a bargain to me. My "12" E350 Benz V6 with a whopping 302 HP was $67M.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Supermassive
This is common in the auto industry...when's the last time you saw a Porsche Cayman S tested that wasn't almost $100k after all the goodies are added in that make the car that much more amazing.

Chevy is gonna give the press their most appealing setup...aka the best performing. The Z51 package is a no brainer, MSRC also no-brainer, NPP exhaust...ding ding ding...no-brainer. It also had the 2LT with NAV, carbon interior trim, and the glass roof. When you are competing for attention in a crowded world of cars, are you seriously gonna throw the media your most stripped down, zero option model to let the media pick it apart? No, you give the media the package that has all the bells and whistles...remember, Porsche is the intended target. You know, the brand where everything is an option and nothing comes standard.

Of course it would be interesting to see a comparison of the base, zero option Vette, versus a Cayman at the same price point. Pretty sure it would be very one sided.
Spot on post. My point is that for months the number 52k has appeared over and over but let's face it, essentially no one is buying a 52k Vette.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by post-it
My "12" E350 Benz V6 with a whopping 302 HP was $67M.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by post-it
My C7 list at $65,600, it is a bargain to me. My "12" E350 Benz V6 with a whopping 302 HP was $67M.
Different market segment but I'm quite sure your M/B has a much better quality that goes with it. The soon to be released AWD Hybrid Acura RLX will window around 60k and I can guarantee you the fit and finish, materials, build quality and technology in it will far exceed a C7. If it's just HP people want get a 'Stang or ZL1. Don't get me wrong,
70k is not a lot of money for a good sports car it's just not the 52 # that has been spoken a million times!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 AM
post-it
Racer

Different market segment but I'm quite sure your M/B has a much better quality that goes with it. The soon to be released AWD Hybrid Acura RLX will window around 60k and I can guarantee you the fit and finish, materials, build quality and technology in it will far exceed a C7. If it's just HP people want get a 'Stang or ZL1. Don't get me wrong,
70k is not a lot of money for a good sports car it's just not the 52 # that has been spoken a million times!
Big Dan, I appreciate your comments. If you don't feel it is a bargain, don't buy it. As you can see from this Forum, There are numerous members eagerly awaiting the delivery of thier $60M to $70M bargain.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Spot on post. My point is that for months the number 52k has appeared over and over but let's face it, essentially no one is buying a 52k Vette.
I don't disagree with you at all Big D, I would just offer however, that this is no different than any other manufacture. Everyone has an entry price, but the "as tested" versions are always decked to the nines. To you're point, it would be interesting to see how many first year buyers actually get the 52k version. For someone that just wants a great looking car and isn't as concerned about track type performance the base model with no goodies is still an attractive offer.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Sounds like fully loaded......no surprise as that's what the media usually gets at release.

Pick and choose is what real buyers do....

Under 60 sounds about right for many to still the performance numbers with z51. MRC and NPP...

Beauty options for the rest....
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

You can still get the same performance as the mag times with a $56k C7 so try again. GM gives the magazines nicer rides because they know they will be taking pictures, writing columns, and articles etc. It is a deal.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
You can still get the same performance as the mag times with a $56k C7 so try again. GM gives the magazines nicer rides because they know they will be taking pictures, writing columns, and articles etc. It is a deal.
Who is talking performance? A little trouble deciphering the OP?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If you love the new car it's a no brainier. For 68k, same price as my 2lz '08 Z discounted from 74 in the fourth model year I get close to the same performance with all the improvements, removable top and a warranty. For the same up charge the '08 could get Caravaggio and reworked heads but IMO why?
If the hipo version is that much cooler I will just write another check.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Mechanic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what $52k buys you: http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=19201. Seems like a hell of a lot of Corvette to me. And, more to your point, the results you're reading about can be achieved at a cost of $56,600.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Who is talking performance? A little trouble deciphering the OP?
Oh, silly me for thinking performance in a performance car.

Let me help you out bro. It's not a luxury car. There are these things called options, and you can option a C7 to your hearts content. A base C7 comes extremely well equipped from the factory, and the Z51 and exhaust only add $4k to the price. Everything else is just amenities, cosmetic, and refinement, and it's NOT that drastic of a difference over the 1LT. So yes it's still a bargain, and yes this is another nit picking thread by you.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Let me help you out bro. It's not a luxury car. There are these things called options, and you can option a C7 to your hearts content. A base C7 comes extremely well equipped from the factory, and the Z51 and exhaust only add $4k to the price. Everything else is just amenities, cosmetic, and refinement, and it's NOT that drastic of a difference over the 1LT. So yes it's still a bargain, and yes this is another nit picking thread by you.
You do have a problem with semantics I guess. Let's see how many 52k cars are sold, that is the premise of this thread you call nit picking and I call real world.

Get notified of new replies

To Price as tested

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

DING, DING, DING.....we have a winner.

Well said.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Let's see how many 52k cars are sold, that is the premise of this thread :
I think it is common that very few people buy the cars without options across all lines of vehicles. The last several years of the C6, base, 1LT coupes were 10-15% of total sales. (Note that doesn't necessarily equate to the minimum price, as you could still add optional colors and things raising the cost above the cheapest). Since the last several years of the C6 there were huge discounts, I'm guessing it bought at the bargain hunters, who were looking to get into a Corvette as cheap as possible. As such, I'd expect anyone willing to pay sticker (or close to it) to have one of the first isn't the same bargain hunter, so ordinarily I would think you might see less than the 10-15% go for the cheapest model/option package this year. That said, the base C7 is nicely equipped, so maybe that increases the orders for the cheapest model. Either way, history gives us a target number in the Corvette.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I think it is common that very few people buy the cars without options across all lines of vehicles. The last several years of the C6, base, 1LT coupes were 10-15% of total sales. (Note that doesn't necessarily equate to the minimum price, as you could still add optional colors and things raising the cost above the cheapest). Since the last several years of the C6 there were huge discounts, I'm guessing it bought at the bargain hunters, who were looking to get into a Corvette as cheap as possible. As such, I'd expect anyone willing to pay sticker (or close to it) to have one of the first isn't the same bargain hunter, so ordinarily I would think you might see less than the 10-15% go for the cheapest model/option package this year. That said, the base C7 is nicely equipped, so maybe that increases the orders for the cheapest model. Either way, history gives us a target number in the Corvette.
Thanks for the nicely thought out response, you obviously get my reason for posting. If you have been following this forum than you'll know many have been tossing around the 52k number for months, that is almost like saying (exaggerating here) let's build a new house and leave the counter tops plywood.

Quick Reply: Price as tested