Sponsored by:

Why is rev matching an on/off situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I had a 370Z with the rev match feature. It's a blast....the first time you try it you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM
arghx7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan has had it in the 370Z for years. Having driven one I can't say I care for it, but if it increases sales of manual transmission vehicles that's a good thing for the Corvette.

We want people buying MT vehicles, and if the rev matching features helps so be it. If people don't buy them, some day they will be cancelled. GM needs to make money on MT's or they will stop making them.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by blksw4n
Always have to take someone else's opinion too far dont we?
If your going to continue to post on a public forum you might want to grow a thicker skin.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by arghx7
Nissan has had it in the 370Z for years. Having driven one I can't say I care for it, but if it increases sales of manual transmission vehicles that's a good thing for the Corvette.

We want people buying MT vehicles, and if the rev matching features helps so be it. If people don't buy them, some day they will be cancelled. GM needs to make money on MT's or they will stop making them.
If GM had a DCT, there would be no manual at all. The younger buyers they're supposedly aiming for have none of that old school passion for a manual. Besides, a good DCT will smoke the equivalent manual in acceleration times.......and that's all that really matters, right? The writing's on the wall. The only reason Porsche still offers a manual is because of the Porsche purists who still want them but the numbers are dwindling....or dying off. You can't buy a new Ferrari with a manual. The day is coming.......
Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

A synchromesh is a passive mechanical rev-matcher. Is that cheating?

Almost everyone on this forum, including the heel-and-toers, are relying on the synchronizers to help them out whether they recognize it or not.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by torquetube
Funny never thought if it that way. That's a pretty good point.

But it's matching the speeds of between the gears, not the engine. To get the best performance, you want to match both while adjusting the throttle.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-27-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:59 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Cheating...what a f**kin stupid statement. Cheating on what?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
If GM had a DCT, there would be no manual at all. The younger buyers they're supposedly aiming for have none of that old school passion for a manual. Besides, a good DCT will smoke the equivalent manual in acceleration times.......and that's all that really matters, right? The writing's on the wall. The only reason Porsche still offers a manual is because of the Porsche purists who still want them but the numbers are dwindling....or dying off. You can't buy a new Ferrari with a manual. The day is coming.......
Half the young kids today never learned how to get out of a parking space in a manual...much less really drive one well...

Not all the kids but a vast majority can't drive a stick shift car...they are afraid....

I've been driving manual transmissions for over 35 years and I'm still not all that fast at it. I love it...but driving wise..ill never be a Ranger...lol

DCT would be cool but rev matching and launch control will suffice if DCT is not available,,

Is rev matching cheating ...only if PTM and ABS is as well..

The m7 is a cool advancement....and till DCT is available...I'd go that route.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 AM
donkeyman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sin City
Funny never thought if it that way. That's a pretty good point.

But it's matching the speeds of between the gears, not the engine. To get the best performance, you want to match both while adjusting the throttle.
You're right, the only reason I rev match today is because my transmission grinds during downshifts. It is more than just rev matching the engine with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. I have to release the clutch pedal before the rev match and press the clutch again for a smooth downshift without grinding gears.

This C7 rev match features does nothing for the synchros, in fact, it is worse because the engine speed is much greater than the transmission speed???
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I plan to use it often. I know how to rev match just fine on my own.

But one thing it does very well is ensure that the syncros are healthy far longer.
Will have no affect on the sincro life. Double de clutching with old single silicon bronze sincro rings did that job. Heel toe, double de clutch, left foot braking, ah, those were the days. I still do it sometimes because of the imprint in left in my brain.
There are 3 iron sincro rings on first and second, 2 on 3rd and 4th, coated with carbon molly compounds like auto xmissions and DCT have.
ZF cautions against double de clutching because the rings wont line up which will cause blocked shifts. You don't care about the life of sincros anymore.
I think they put auto blip in for warranty reasons. The problems with damper, dropped valves, timing chain wear, etc. were caused by lunatics that couldn't heel and toe. You hear them at the track events all the time. It makes me sick. They should be fined and flogged.
Many so called racers just shove it into the lower gear and pop the clutch which accelerates the engine faster than it was designed for. Not to talk about the reversal loads of the drive train. 60s rally drivers would do purposely it to get the tail out. You have tools you can use only if you understand the machine.

Left foot braking and heel toeing is essential in braking, acceleration transitions which the auto blip can't do. Also when you take off from and incline, only extremely horrible low class Obama supporter types use the hand brake.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
My feeling is... this is the last Corvette with a manual.

In fact, before the C7 is finished I would not be surprised if it has an optional V6 and no longer is offered with a manual if they go eventually to DCT.

Get 'em while you can!
I doubt the manual disappears, DCT or not. I expect Corvette and 911 to be the last two sports cars on the planet to offer a manual transmission, and they'll offer it until it becomes prohibitively expensive to carry forward.

Almost everyone on this forum, including the heel-and-toers, are relying on the synchronizers to help them out whether they recognize it or not.
You don't double-clutch?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Cheating...what a f**kin stupid statement. Cheating on what?
er...er...your wife?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 PM
DaveVY
Instructor

Originally Posted by v26278
I look forward to trying it out. I don't heal/toe very well, will never track my vert and couldn't be bothered to learn to perfect heal/toe. If the feature works well I'll use it, if not, no loss, I still enjoy manual transmissions. Cars like Corvettes are toys, if technology makes them more enjoyable then that's great
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I think it will be fun to play around with.

Probably won't use it all the time.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
You don't double-clutch?
My first cars had completely nonfunctional synchros. Double clutch on the way up, blip on the way down, get it wrong by even a fraction and *graunch*.

Drivers heel-and-toeing a car with big stout healthy synchronizers may be unaware of what an assist they're getting. I suspect if we secretly replaced their Tremecs with crash boxes, Folgers Crystals-style, there would be lots of grinding and wincing.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Left foot braking and heel toeing is essential in braking, acceleration transitions which the auto blip can't do. .
Yup, left foot braking provides a lot of advantages that the rev match cant. Even with rev match, your right foot is on the brake pedal and left foot is on the clutch. Transitioning from right-foot-brake to left-foot-brake can be part of the fun of it.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stick shift/manual.
+ hydraulic clutch assist = semi-stick shift/semi-manual
+ rev match = semi-semi-stick shift/semi-semi-manual

Get notified of new replies

To Why is rev matching an on/off situation

Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Not really the same thing, as the rev matching in the C7 is to match the engine revs with the drive line so the when the clutch operates there it no speed difference and hence a super smooth up shift or down shift.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeyman
You're right, the only reason I rev match today is because my transmission grinds during downshifts. It is more than just rev matching the engine with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. I have to release the clutch pedal before the rev match and press the clutch again for a smooth downshift without grinding gears.

This C7 rev match features does nothing for the synchros, in fact, it is worse because the engine speed is much greater than the transmission speed???
This is incorrect. The blip is not the computer guessing what the engine should be at or simply jabbing the throttle. It's matching the transmissions output speed to the input speed by setting the engine's RPMs to the correct speed that corresponds to the desired gear. Essentially perfect shiftting.

If you put the shifter in a gate and hold the clutch in while you're at speed, the engine will maintain the correct RPM until you let out the clutch. As the vehicle speed slow while coasting, the engine RPMs will continue to match the expected input speed on the transmission.

Originally Posted by Shaka
Will have no affect on the sincro life. Double de clutching with old single silicon bronze sincro rings did that job. Heel toe, double de clutch, left foot braking, ah, those were the days. I still do it sometimes because of the imprint in left in my brain.
There are 3 iron sincro rings on first and second, 2 on 3rd and 4th, coated with carbon molly compounds like auto xmissions and DCT have.
ZF cautions against double de clutching because the rings wont line up which will cause blocked shifts. You don't care about the life of sincros anymore.
I think they put auto blip in for warranty reasons. The problems with damper, dropped valves, timing chain wear, etc. were caused by lunatics that couldn't heel and toe. You hear them at the track events all the time. It makes me sick. They should be fined and flogged.
Many so called racers just shove it into the lower gear and pop the clutch which accelerates the engine faster than it was designed for. Not to talk about the reversal loads of the drive train. 60s rally drivers would do purposely it to get the tail out. You have tools you can use only if you understand the machine.

Left foot braking and heel toeing is essential in braking, acceleration transitions which the auto blip can't do. Also when you take off from and incline, only extremely horrible low class Obama supporter types use the hand brake.
Nissan engineers explained that automatic rev matching indeed saves the life of the syncros and the driveline as a whole. The GM version isn't different than the Nissan version.

The engine matching the expected input speed prevents the need for the syncros to crash or spin up/down as fast. The gears mesh without the syncros working (or working hard).
Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Nissan engineers explained that automatic rev matching indeed saves the life of the syncros and the driveline as a whole. The GM version isn't different than the Nissan version.

The engine matching the expected input speed prevents the need for the syncros to crash or spin up/down as fast. The gears mesh without the syncros working (or working hard).
Saves some wear and tear on the clutch also which is a good thing since changing a clutch on these cars isn't a cheap or trivial task.

Quick Reply: Why is rev matching an on/off situation