Sponsored by:

Why is rev matching an on/off situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Saves some wear and tear on the clutch also which is a good thing since changing a clutch on these cars isn't a cheap or trivial task.
Yep! I didn't ever want to change the clutch on my C5. Rev matching reduces wear and tear on the entire driveline. And the guaranteed smooth engagement will be the icing on the cake.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Not really the same thing, as the rev matching in the C7 is to match the engine revs with the drive line so the when the clutch operates there it no speed difference and hence a super smooth up shift or down shift.
The suggestion was that heroic heel-and-toeing makes the rev match feature unnecessary. It also makes synchronizers unnecessary.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't think there are enough "heroic heal and toeing" dudes left in the world to not justify syncros or rev matching.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2012 GS A6 with paddles. It rev matches and works just fine. GM has had this technology for at least that long and it works great.

They are just adding the feature I have to the manual clutch C7's.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
This is incorrect. The blip is not the computer guessing what the engine should be at or simply jabbing the throttle. It's matching the transmissions output speed to the input speed by setting the engine's RPMs to the correct speed that corresponds to the desired gear. Essentially perfect shiftting.

If you put the shifter in a gate and hold the clutch in while you're at speed, the engine will maintain the correct RPM until you let out the clutch. As the vehicle speed slow while coasting, the engine RPMs will continue to match the expected input speed on the transmission.

Nissan engineers explained that automatic rev matching indeed saves the life of the syncros and the driveline as a whole. The GM version isn't different than the Nissan version.

The engine matching the expected input speed prevents the need for the syncros to crash or spin up/down as fast. The gears mesh without the syncros working (or working hard).
Crappola. The drive train and the clutch yes, syncros no.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by torquetube
The suggestion was that heroic heel-and-toeing makes the rev match feature unnecessary. It also makes synchronizers unnecessary.
Oh God!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Saves some wear and tear on the clutch also which is a good thing since changing a clutch on these cars isn't a cheap or trivial task.
I would have to agree that this is probably one of the main reasons it's on there. While rev matching is certainly a good selling point to auto-x ers and trackers that are not inclined to heel-toe, rev matching does more than enhance driving skills.

The two largests benefits are as stated, wear on the transmission and synchros. But also further enhancement of fuel economy. The engine will use more fuel to 'build back' the rpm after a shift. Rev matching makes this process much more efficient, thus saving fuel. It seems to me, that it's real benefit is providing a more efficient, comfortable driving experience in the daily commute as well, those times when many don't really want to heel-toe. Just my thoughts anyways.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lift up shifts are cool as hell...

Yet another reason no one needs a DCT!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I would have to agree that this is probably one of the main reasons it's on there. While rev matching is certainly a good selling point to auto-x ers and trackers that are not inclined to heel-toe, rev matching does more than enhance driving skills.

The two largests benefits are as stated, wear on the transmission and synchros. But also further enhancement of fuel economy. The engine will use more fuel to 'build back' the rpm after a shift. Rev matching makes this process much more efficient, thus saving fuel. It seems to me, that it's real benefit is providing a more efficient, comfortable driving experience in the daily commute as well, those times when many don't really want to heel-toe. Just my thoughts anyways.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

The two largests benefits are as stated, wear on the transmission and synchros.
Unless the rev match contraption is programmed to cooperate with a driver who is double-clutching, there isn't much it can do for the synchros.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
It's a gimmick I think. And, it's been done before.
"Gimmick" to me implies that there is no practical use for it. There is certainly a use for rev matching.

Originally Posted by Sin City
My feeling is... this is the last Corvette with a manual.

In fact, before the C7 is finished I would not be surprised if it has an optional V6 and no longer is offered with a manual if they go eventually to DCT.

Get 'em while you can!
GM still sells nearly have of their Corvettes with a manual last I heard (45% as of a couple years ago on the C6).

As long as they keep selling manuals anywhere remotely that often, they will not stop offering them... Although I suppose it's possible that manuals start selling so poorly in other cars that they can no longer re-use the manual from the Vette in other cars, which may at least raise the price of the Corvette's stick.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
I have a 2012 GS A6 with paddles. It rev matches and works just fine. GM has had this technology for at least that long and it works great.

They are just adding the feature I have to the manual clutch C7's.

I seriously doubt that manually shifting an auto via paddles is the same technology.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
"Gimmick" to me implies that there is no practical use for it. There is certainly a use for rev matching.

GM still sells nearly have of their Corvettes with a manual last I heard (45% as of a couple years ago on the C6).

As long as they keep selling manuals anywhere remotely that often, they will not stop offering them... Although I suppose it's possible that manuals start selling so poorly in other cars that they can no longer re-use the manual from the Vette in other cars, which may at least raise the price of the Corvette's stick.
Ferrari enthusiasts said the same thing about the 360 modena when the F430 came out with a greatly improved robotized box.

The number fell to less than 10% manual.

In 2009 Ferrari made the California with the new DCT and no manuals as an option for the first time. The Tifosi were outraged. So, in the second year, they made a manual possible.

They sold 2.

Then it went to 0% manual with the 458, much to the displeasure of the 6-10% of the buyers out there that still wanted manuals.

They still have about a one year waiting list 3 years into production.

Whenever the DCT is introduced, a large percentage of manual owners give it up in favor of the DCT. Those are real historical numbers.

It's not the manufacturers who are driving this. It's owners. The many complaints from people on this forum about a lack of DCT in the C7 proves it.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shaka
You certainly have a way with words.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Unless the rev match contraption is programmed to cooperate with a driver who is double-clutching, there isn't much it can do for the synchros.
Seems to me that if the power load is removed off of the transmission (ie, clutch is disengaged) then the syncros (if designed well and work well) do their own thing regardless of what RPM the engine is doing.

For instance, if you are in 3rd gear and push the clutch pedal in at 20 MPH and let the engine come to an idle, you can put the transmission into 1st gear without any grinding, so the syncos did their job.

Likewise, if you are going 60 MPH is 4th gear and you push the clutch in and coast for 10 seconds with the engine at idle, you can easily shift to 6th gear with no gear grinding. You don't need to "double clutch" if the syncros are working right. Of course you would want to rev the engine back up some to "rev match" the speed of the transmission input shaft so the clutch engagement is nice and smooth ... this is what "rev matching" is all about.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Seems to me that if the power load is removed off of the transmission (ie, clutch is disengaged) then the syncros (if designed well and work well) do their own thing regardless of what RPM the engine is doing.
...which is why "rev matching" with the clutch disengaged doesn't do a thing for the synchros.

Reliance on the synchros to work miracles is also why on most used sports cars they're completely trashed.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

better question, why are the on/off switches separate and in such a weird location?

Get notified of new replies

To Why is rev matching an on/off situation

Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

I Love how some of the folks can get so easily derailed from one little word and go completely off topic in debate over the most insignificant detail.

Okay, rev match is not designed to save the synchros. However, the synchros job is bring the input shaft to engine speed during gear change. Now if rev match brings engine speed to the desired rpm, this makes the synchros job easier, right? So rev matching saving the synchros from wear might be overstated as a benefit, maybe more a side effect.

Okay, enough tunnel vision of the insignificant. Carry on.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

I Love how some of the folks can get so easily derailed from one little word and go completely off topic in debate over the most insignificant detail.

Okay, rev match is not designed to save the synchros. However, the synchros job is bring the input shaft to engine speed during gear change. Now if rev match brings engine speed to the desired rpm, this makes the synchros job easier, right? So rev matching saving the synchros from wear might be overstated as a benefit, maybe more a side effect.

Okay, enough tunnel vision of the insignificant. Carry on.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Okay, rev match is not designed to save the synchros. However, the synchros job is bring the input shaft to engine speed during gear change. Now if rev match brings engine speed to the desired rpm, this makes the synchros job easier, right?
No, the synchros don't bring the input shaft to engine speed. They bring the input shaft to the correct speed relative to the output shaft for the gear being engaged, or in other words, they match the speed of the input shaft and the road.

Without double-clutching, the engine isn't even involved. Only if you blip the throttle in neutral with the clutch engaged (i.e. foot off pedal) can the engine alter the speed of the input shaft to match the destination gear.

If the system only blips the throttle when your foot is on the clutch, that doesn't do a thing for the synchros one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Why is rev matching an on/off situation