Dealer Demo's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Dealer Demo's?

How have Chevy dealers handled this traditionally?

Hard to get a test drive? How long after the first ones show up before they have one?

Also... will it probably be an auto as that's what most buyers traditionally have ordered?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I would bet that it would be near impossible to find a dealer that will have a unit to test drive in the first 3-6 months of release.

Maybe one of the large dealers like Kerbeck might offer one in the first few months.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 AM
rijowysock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a member here made a post about a dealer wanting to use their car on the floor after delivery (and many urged against that).... i would doubt any dealer would allow a test drive on such a new/in demand vehicle... which sounds not ideal for those curious.. but for the most part interested buyers should know how it drives...

i guess some would want to feel magnetic versus non magnetic susp first hand.. but i doubt test drives will be commonplace just because of miles and risk..

i remember when the E46 M3 came out, it was an entirely new everything M3 and most dealers wouldnt even let you sit in them... i thought that was a very backwards though process but they were always presold or sold quickly so i guess people didn't mind.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

Hard to get a test drive? How long after the first ones show up before they have one?

Also... will it probably be an auto as that's what most buyers traditionally have ordered?
we have the third largest allocation in the country and at some point yes we will have cars available and test drives will be offered on certain cars......it will be months though before I truly see this happening.....with the controlled distribution and the way orders go in , in advance, every car right now is sold.....

I know production numbers will be much larger than last year so will open up availability by spring next year......I'm almost out of 2013's....

Regarding auto's, that is mostly what they build and what I sell, but in the early stages of ordering, most of mine are 7 speeds...
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM
BAD2000TA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickConti@Coughlin
we have the third largest allocation in the country and at some point yes we will have cars available and test drives will be offered on certain cars......it will be months though before I truly see this happening.....with the controlled distribution and the way orders go in , in advance, every car right now is sold.....

I know production numbers will be much larger than last year so will open up availability by spring next year......I'm almost out of 2013's....

Regarding auto's, that is mostly what they build and what I sell, but in the early stages of ordering, most of mine are 7 speeds...
Just sad.....
Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Said with my best southern drawl.........

"You're not from around here are you boy"?

Rick gave you an excellent answer but trust me when I tell you that he is among the minority as far as dealers go.

Most Corvette dealers other than the large forum dealers just don't see many Corvettes. Many if not most will sell single digit cars and for the most part none will have demo cars. The best chance any of these dealers have at a car for test drives is when someone trades in a used car and even then, understanding how particular Corvette owners are, they still try to keep mileage low. Test drives are few and far between.

I think the best shot most had at a test drive of a new Corvette was while GM had the Hertz ZHZ program running.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Rick,
I'm curious....When the C6 first came out, were more of your orders 6 speed manuals and then moved to more automatics later?

Jimmy
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Rick, To clarify, what do you mean when you say "almost out of 2013s"? Does his mean you have sold most of your C6s?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,070 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
Rick, To clarify, what do you mean when you say "almost out of 2013s"? Does his mean you have sold most of your C6s?
Thanks
I checked Kerbecks site yesterday and they had 2 13's left. Just checked again and the have 5
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

How about the Suitcase Editions? Certainly you will let people rag the crap out of them, won't you?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Are demos out now?? Just how are these guys getting these cars right now?

Name:  u2xSO4hh.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  170.5 KB
Name:  Icak2yqh.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  146.0 KB
Name:  dOj8TDSh.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  149.5 KB
Name:  tNJFc3Bh.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  171.5 KB
Name:  Es0Hwaph.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  119.1 KB
Name:  S15g61Jh.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  155.2 KB
Name:  VimvE4Wh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  164.3 KB
Name:  U7SNEDIh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  pfGmSY0h.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  156.6 KB
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Two of my close friends own Chevy stores and this is their take on test drives. They do not let anybody test drive new Corvettes. Both say do you want to be the first one to drive it or do you want a car that other people have pounded before you?

Both said you can test drive a used C6 but not a new one. I asked what do you do if they say I won't buy it unless I can test drive it? Both said well I guess your not buying this one.

I agree with them. You get more people who just want to waste your time and drive your car. The next words out of their mouth is I have to think about it, or I got to talk to the wife. If you are a true buyer for a new Corvette I don't see the need to drive it before you buy it.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by LFZ
Are demos out now?? Just how are these guys getting these cars right now?
They are captured test fleet cars. GM executives, Corvette team members and select employees have these cars as daily drivers to qualify and shake down the build process. Additionally there are pool cars that other GM employees can request for driving, testing and development work.

There are no demo cars available to dealers or folks outside of those I have listed above. There are no customer cars or retail cars currently.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

Shortly after the C6's went into production, my local dealer(Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield, MO) had our club over for a test drive session on a Saturday, Sept 4, 2004. We each got to drive a new C6 and then they fed us(thanks Wes!!!!!).

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-31-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
They are captured test fleet cars. GM executives, Corvette team members and select employees have these cars as daily drivers to qualify and shake down the build process. Additionally there are pool cars that other GM employees can request for driving, testing and development work.

There are no demo cars available to dealers or folks outside of those I have listed above. There are no customer cars or retail cars currently.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Rick gave you an excellent answer but trust me when I tell you that he is among the minority as far as dealers go.

Most Corvette dealers other than the large forum dealers just don't see many Corvettes. Many if not most will sell single digit cars and for the most part none will have demo cars. The best chance any of these dealers have at a car for test drives is when someone trades in a used car and even then, understanding how particular Corvette owners are, they still try to keep mileage low. Test drives are few and far between.

I think the best shot most had at a test drive of a new Corvette was while GM had the Hertz ZHZ program running.
I think he meant it's just sad that most people drive automatics. It's highlighted in Red.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

In two years they will be more than happy to let you get behind the wheel and test drive.

All the "gotta have it now" guys won't necessitate test drives, so why allow them?

Once the buzz wears off and they are sitting on lots unsold, they will do what it takes to move them.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Demo's?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
....If you are a true buyer for a new Corvette I don't see the need to drive it before you buy it.
I understand the whole tire kicking thing, but that's just absurd. They expect me to part with $60 Large and not test drive the thing? I have heard of ESP but do they expect me to have ESB (Extrasensory Butt) or something?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Two of my close friends own Chevy stores and this is their take on test drives. They do not let anybody test drive new Corvettes. Both say do you want to be the first one to drive it or do you want a car that other people have pounded before you?

Both said you can test drive a used C6 but not a new one. I asked what do you do if they say I won't buy it unless I can test drive it? Both said well I guess your not buying this one.

I agree with them. You get more people who just want to waste your time and drive your car. The next words out of their mouth is I have to think about it, or I got to talk to the wife. If you are a true buyer for a new Corvette I don't see the need to drive it before you buy it.
I have bought cars without a test drive - such as when the C6 came out. On the other hand, I think it's a bit arrogant to suggest that you buy a $60,000 car on faith that you are either a Corvette person or you are not. It's easy to be cocky when it first comes out and they know they don't have to give test drives. They won't be as cocky two or three years from now.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Thanks......I truly want the customer to drive...I'll never forget the training sessions I have attended over the years and the absolute thrill I got driving the next Vette....I was flying so high

....I need and want the customer to experience that....then you can have a real conversation about a potential purchase

Quick Reply: Dealer Demo's?