Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Snakiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have we ever determined if CAGS functions in sport or track mode? I asked the dealer yesterday, and surprise, they didn't know.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
It's very easy to disable...just drive the car like it was designed! I've never understood why people by a monster sports car and then decide they need to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1400 RPMs...

Dave
Try enterying a military base that way. You'll probably get shot.

Tom

PS: I work on a USAF base and considering all the Jersey Barrier's I have to snake my way through I'm not about to blast off from the guard at the gate.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I think I'm safe in saying that none of us likes CAGS or AFM. But what is your solution for GM compliance with the fast-escalating CAFE regulations? Maybe everyone buying a C7 must also buy three Volts? And the old "drop in the bucket" wishful thinking has been clearly refuted by GM management saying that Corvette doesn't get a CAFE pass.

This is a new era. My prediction: Don't like CAGS and AFM? Stand by; you ain't seen nothing yet.
Waiting on the lower volume zo6 to have it all, or better said none.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Couldn't we just decide to shift from 1 to 4th if we want too? Why did chevy have to lock out the gears?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 93 C4 with CAGS and I just unplugged it at the transmission. I hated it. My new Porsche Boxster does not have this feature but it does have start/stop of the engine at stop lights. You can turn that off with a switch right on the console. Mine is OFF for sure.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
I had a 93 C4 with CAGS and I just unplugged it at the transmission. I hated it. My new Porsche Boxster does not have this feature but it does have start/stop of the engine at stop lights. You can turn that off with a switch right on the console. Mine is OFF for sure.
You unloaded that frumpy bmw at a HUGE loss, and bought an even more curmudgeonly miata clone?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Skip shift, as much as I hate it, is effective in fuel economy testing, and has been easily dealt with by each owner in their own way. It's a feature only applicable to high- torque engines and Porsche could not use it on the Boxster even if they wanted to.

Last edited by v26278; 08-08-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Sure, on the rare occasion that may happen when you are not thinking. However, on that rare occasion, you should probably let the car do what's best for the car and not over-ride the engineers' programming. Of course, that just my opinion, but I always ere on the side of the guys who design and build them over my own mechanical prowess!

Dave
The engineers didn't design this feature to save any kind of wear and tear on the car... They did it for the sake of fuel savings.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RickDI
AFM is easy to defeat anyways. Put the car into Sport or Track Mode on the autos and any mode but ECO on the stick.
Missing the point. It's the compromises in design of the AFM that is a drawback. We know the torque tube is heavier because of it, we know the clutch is heavier because of it, odds are the cam is tame because of it, and the VVT...well I think that's probably the more interesting of the bunch. With simple VVT, like the one GM can implement on pushrods you often need to make sacrifices, you can either have low end torque gains or top end torque gains. If we were able to get the 40ft/lb up top then 500hp would be attainable. Now we have to make do with 460hp and a whooping 1mpg more on the freeway...wow...what a great choice.

The engine mounts are probably softer too. That can mean they break easier, but almost surely the throttle response suffers. Think that one of the strengths of the small block v8 is that it's very well balanced, stiffer mounts can be used without increasing NVH significantly getting both a very classy ride feel and great throttle response. With a V4 you get one or the other and every drawback that exists for a V4 engine now exists for the small block V8. This is a huge step back. GM has chosen for you, NVH is the same driver feedback is worse. A tough choice has been made.

Fuel economy savings in general are even deeper in the design. The extra gear meant a transmission that's 2 inches longer. What if the C7 is larger just to fit the damn 7th gear?

You have a heavier car, a less direct throttle feel, less power, and a crappier powerband. You think you can get that back by not using Eco mode??? C7 is handicapped like that.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 08-08-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by torquetube
Easy there.

As everyone knows, CAGS can be disabled easily.

As for the electronic parking brake, I presume you're objection has to do with hill-holding. Every EPB out there, including the one on the new Holden (GM Australia) Commodore, works as a hill-holder by design:
No. Two things: 1.ergonomics 2. variable strength

1. For ergonomics think this, the same electronic brake but instead of a button it's an old fashioned lever. Great things happen with a lever. You can find it without looking, you can find it when the car is going sideways, you can find it while drive hard and need it for extra tricks. Lever will always beat button for ergonomics. The only thing worse than a button is a touchscreen.

2. In a city with lots of altitude change a manual e-brake is a great asset. I can pull up to a stop at a fairly radical angle and gradually sharpen the e-brake grab by increasing the pull on the leaver. That means I'll slow down smoother and not surprise whoever is behind me. It's perhaps best used to smoothen the take off. With a push button e-brake you have to manhandle the clutch to take off from a huge incline before letting go of the e-brake. With a manual e-brake you work simultaneously gradually phasing the clutch in and phasing the e-brake out.

Manual e-brakes are brilliant. Electronic e-brakes are for idiots. Here is an analogy. No one likes drag clutches for everyday driving. Think why they don't work very well and that's also the reason electronic e-brakes don't work very well. Except e-brakes that are electronic are purely on/off which makes them way worse than the drag clutch in my example.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Couldn't we just decide to shift from 1 to 4th if we want too? Why did chevy have to lock out the gears?
I think it's because some owners enjoy modding their new car with ebay parts. Think how awesome you are when you tell your buddies that your new C7 just came off the lot and you already tuned it, yourself, no help.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Chevrolet didn't offer CAGS as a feature for you the owner.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

v26278 I don't want CAGS on my Boxster. So now the C6.5 has CAGS on an outdated 6 speed automatic transmission and cylinder deactivation. Must get 90 MPG once it decides which gear it wants to be in.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Missing the point. It's the compromises in design of the AFM that is a drawback. We know the torque tube is heavier because of it, we know the clutch is heavier because of it, odds are the cam is tame because of it, and the VVT...well I think that's probably the more interesting of the bunch. With simple VVT, like the one GM can implement on pushrods you often need to make sacrifices, you can either have low end torque gains or top end torque gains. If we were able to get the 40ft/lb up top then 500hp would be attainable. Now we have to make do with 460hp and a whooping 1mpg more on the freeway...wow...what a great choice.

The engine mounts are probably softer too. That can mean they break easier, but almost surely the throttle response suffers. Think that one of the strengths of the small block v8 is that it's very well balanced, stiffer mounts can be used without increasing NVH significantly getting both a very classy ride feel and great throttle response. With a V4 you get one or the other and every drawback that exists for a V4 engine now exists for the small block V8. This is a huge step back. GM has chosen for you, NVH is the same driver feedback is worse. A tough choice has been made.

Fuel economy savings in general are even deeper in the design. The extra gear meant a transmission that's 2 inches longer. What if the C7 is larger just to fit the damn 7th gear?

You have a heavier car, a less direct throttle feel, less power, and a crappier powerband. You think you can get that back by not using Eco mode??? C7 is handicapped like that.
I understand what you are saying and I hadn't though of it that way. But other than the heavier torque tube the rest of what you say it just speculation at this point. I do agree that the 1 MPG advantage that we've heard mentioned doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I have a hard time being mad at GM though since they have to follow the governments lead on MPG regulations.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

v26278 I don't want CAGS on my Boxster. So now the C6.5 has CAGS on an outdated 6 speed automatic transmission and cylinder deactivation. Must get 90 MPG once it decides which gear it wants to be in.
This post shows just how little you actually know about cars and explains why you bought a boxter over a C7.

CAGS is not used on auto transmissions.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

WTF are you talking about. CAGS is used on the 6 speed manual transmission, not the automatic.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

Clutch is heavier because it is a dual disc design vs the single disc clutch used in the C6(ZR1 had the heavier dual disc clutch). Has nothing to do with AFM. C7's clutch has greater clamping force to handle the higher output of the optional engine to be released later on. Even though the clutch is heavier, the diameter is smaller than the single disc, thus it has less inertia. The heavier dual disc is well worth the slight increase in weight.

VVT has nothing to do with the pushrods.

As for the weight of the C7, better gas mileage is obtained with the AFM then if the car didn't have it but was ~35 pounds lighter.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-08-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?