Peter Brock's Sting Ray book

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default Peter Brock's Sting Ray book

I just picked up my copy of Peter Brock's new book Corvette Sting Ray and it is fantastic! The history, pictures and information are really informative. It has a forward by Ed Welburn. For those of you who may not know or missed a related earlier post, Peter was one of the youngest (if not the youngest) designers hired by GM and he worked under Harley Earle and Bill Mitchell and in 1957 penned the images that led the way for the 1963 Split Window Stingray. Here are a couple of pics from this morning:
and .

Peter will be at the 60th Reunion at Laguna Seca next week as well (and signing his book). I can't wait!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by jsc7vette
I just picked up my copy of Peter Brock's new book Corvette Sting Ray and it is fantastic! The history, pictures and information are really informative. It has a forward by Ed Welburn. For those of you who may not know or missed a related earlier post, Peter was one of the youngest (if not the youngest) designers hired by GM and he worked under Harley Earle and Bill Mitchell and in 1957 penned the images that led the way for the 1963 Split Window Stingray. Here are a couple of pics from this morning:
and .

Peter will be at the 60th Reunion at Laguna Seca next week as well (and signing his book). I can't wait!
Fantastic Thanks for that. I'll rush and get a copy. Didnt even know it existed.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

The info I have is that Mitchell got the idea for the 59 Stingray from this Alpha Disco Volante.

Then Larry Shinoda did this.

Then from this.

Peter Brock sketched this incorporating Shinoda and the Alpha design.

Which became the Q car designed by Larry Shinoda. Duntov hated it because of it's poor aerodynamics. Mitchell locked him out of the design studio.

Which became the 63 Stingray by Shinoda.

Then Peter sketched this car which Dr. Kham, an aircraft aerodynamicist, influenced. The Daytona was the first car to get this Kham back.

Is this the correct story?

This is my interpretation of the Stingray.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Can't answer yet as I have just started reading Sting Ray Maybe by Laguna Seca I will have some answers or you could ask Peter or Ed directly at the Reunion.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My copy is in the mail.

By the way, GM has rolled out the Sting Ray racer to be sent to an event honoring Peter Brock designs. Naturally Peter will be there.

Shaka: FWIS, you have many of the elements but some of the sequence wrong. Get the book and let Peter speak for himself. By the way, when the Viper Coupe (blue with white stripes) was introduced, Chrysler drove one to Peter's house for his blessing. He was very suprised and honored that Chrysler did so.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Peter Brock is scheduled to be at Carlisle....can't wait to meet him and purchase his new book.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
My copy is in the mail.

By the way, GM has rolled out the Sting Ray racer to be sent to an event honoring Peter Brock designs. Naturally Peter will be there.

Shaka: FWIS, you have many of the elements but some of the sequence wrong. Get the book and let Peter speak for himself. By the way, when the Viper Coupe (blue with white stripes) was introduced, Chrysler drove one to Peter's house for his blessing. He was very suprised and honored that Chrysler did so.
Thanks for clarifying. Also, are you talking about the Quail event?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Thanks for clarifying. Also, are you talking about the Quail event?
YUP

Event Details
Date: Friday, August 16, 2013
Time: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
The featured themes for 2013
Retrospect of Automobili Lamborghini celebrating 50 Years
100 Years of Aston Martin
A Tribute to the California Mille In Honor of Martin Swig
Peter Brock Designs
Pre-War Sports and Racing
Post-War Sports
Post-War Racing
Super Cars
The Great Ferraris
Sports and Racing Motorcycles
Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Peter Brock will also be the Grand Marshal of the Palos Verdes Concours d'Elegance, Sep 14 & 15 in Southern California, just South of Los Angeles.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
My copy is in the mail.

I'll get the book. Right up my alley. Shelby took the credit for the Viper GTS as did he for the LeMans win in 66 and many other things. Brock also designed the Superformance Daytona. I've been reading Corvette material for years and have many Corvette books. The Story of General Motors is my favorite story of all. It is only in recent years, that Peter Brock has been mentioned.
I was at the ground breaking ceremony for the Corvette museum where Duntov drove the Corvette bulldozer. I was also there for the opening where Duntov, McLelland, Shinoda and others were. Where was Brock?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Where to buy?

Interesting, not listed on Amazon. Maybe too new.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by CK 6
Just rolled off the presses this week.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default right here

Originally Posted by CK 6
http://bre2.net/index.php?action=vie...ule=newsmodule
Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

As an aero major, I just had to clarify one point ... the aerodynamicist mentioned above is Dr. Wunibald Kamm (not Kham) ... but I am impressed somebody actually knew about him!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
As an aero major, I just had to clarify one point ... the aerodynamicist mentioned above is Dr. Wunibald Kamm (not Kham) ... but I am impressed somebody actually knew about him!
Be very suspicious of an engineer who can spell. I will be very skeptical when I read Brock's book. There were a bunch of egotistical people stuck in the same room together. Non of them got along too well with each other. Shinoda and Duntov were like big babies and Mitchell and Duntov had shouting matches.
True, Brock won the competition, but the refinement of the design came from Shinoda and Mitchell showed them what he was after after seeing the Alpha in Europe.
The idea of the Corvette came from Gen. Curtis Lemay in the first place who was a friend of Earle's. He watched the British soldiers driving their silly little MGs around cones on the airfields. The NCCC still run at Airforce basis because of him.
I doubt Shinoda and Brock spoke to one another. Shinoda left under a cloud, did Brock do the same?
McLelland did also, over the design of the LT5.
Why did he wait so long to write the book?
Why wasn't Brock at the opening of the Corvette Museum? Duntov and Shinoda were, so was McClelland and Hill. The 59 Stingray was there as was the 63 Stingray and the Manta Ray. Mmmm.

Orville Wright took most of the credit for their accomplishments after Wilbur died. Wilbur was the smart one. Just saying.

Last edited by Shaka; 08-10-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:07 PM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Shaka, you appear to have reasonable knowledge of the Stingray's history. Perhaps it might make sense to read Peter's book before casting possible aspersions.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Shaka, you appear to have reasonable knowledge of the Stingray's history. Perhaps it might make sense to read Peter's book before casting possible aspersions.
Perhaps you are right. I'm just a little suspicious of the timing of this book. All the other players have passed on.
OK, there was a lot of controversy and secrecy at the time over Duntov's SS and Mitchell's Stingray. The car wasn't even done at GM. Maybe the info was classified and he was sworn to secrecy as McClelland was. There was even an old timer in an autoweek story that said he personally destroyed the 6th Grand Sport.
4 Duntov chassis were built. The SS and the Stingray each received one.
Many books have been written about Corvettes and their designs. None that I can recall have mentioned Brock. Why would that be? The first time I saw Brock's sketches was within the past 5 years. I have never seen him at any major Corvette events until now. Heck, he was 19 years old without a degree.

I look forward to the book never the less.

Get notified of new replies

To Peter Brock's Sting Ray book

Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed

And the Italian carmaker was not "Alpha" but ALFA (as in Alfa Romeo). The present-day Dodge Dart, a product of the Fiat/Chrysler marriage, is based on a contemporary FWD Alfa sedan.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Bought the book for the photos....looks pretty cool.

Did anyone notice the C7 book scheduled to be out in November on Amazon ? Supposed to be a journalist who was brought in to document the process from Day 1. Should also be a good read. I bought he " per- order..."
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Met Peter two years ago at Summit Point, here he is next to my 63.

While he was there had him sign the inside of the glove box:

Here he is with me and my friend John Herold,

He is a great person, down to earth. Told me my restored Corvette was one of the best he has ever seen. Man coming from him that was almost better than the 3 top flights I got.

Can't wait to by the book, hope he decides to come to Carlisle this year....

Quick Reply: Peter Brock's Sting Ray book