Sponsored by:

Detroit Free Press; Corvette Purists, Stop Your Complaining

Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfie43
This thread is spiraling into the abyss. I knew I shouldn't have posted that article.
lol... you did know this was the C7 forum, right?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This thread is spiraling into the abyss. I knew I shouldn't have posted that article.

Alfie
Welcome to the TerrorDome!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Chicago
I don't mind change at all as long as its attractive and in good taste. However the back of the C7 is not. GM must have paid the guy off to write that. If GM was so into making C7 look different why did they continue to go with the four center loaded pipes a design Corvette has had for 16 years now????
But you see, it is attractive and in good taste. A great use of led technology and ingenius method to make it a solid looking light as opposed to a bunch of dots. The rear lower panel gives the car more shape, definition, and reduces the mass in terms of appearance. That's why I like it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Alfie
and exactly what did you think was going to happen?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The C7 design is certainly NOT perfect... not even close.

But, it's really interesting and exciting overall. And, there are cues to the C2 and C3 that are kinda fun without being "retro".

I think everyone gets too tied up in the look. A year from now, most of you will say you've warmed up to it.

What's new and different is often difficult to accept over the old and familiar.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Alfie
You have a guy who just registered today to complain about the C7's rear design in this very thread and JoesC5 posting...it's destined to go into the sh*tter. Now we just need Joe to regale us with his tales of driving 217 mph around Talladega in a blindfold and how he's paid cash for everything since 1972 including his 13 Corvettes and twin-supercharged Mercedes and the hijack will be complete.
S.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

A most salient point indeed.

I guess it comes down to the pro and cons list and how you weight those pros and cons to make an ultimate decision - thumbs up or down.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So, if the C7(or the Mustang or Jeep) had turned out to look like this, I should crush my C6 Z06 and buy one, just because it is different looking from my C6? Even if it would do 0-60 in 2 seconds and turn on a dime with nine cents change?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The Corvette has been many different things to many different people.

Given how many different generations of Corvette there have been and how different each one has been, I find it hard to view anyone as a 'Corvette purist'. The definition I would use is someone who keeps their Corvette as stock as is possible, no matter what year or model of Corvette it is.
I think a corvette purist is defined by those who reference the corvette by the nostalgia of the classical and golden age of corvette. Particularly the C1 to early C3 model cars.

Those most polarized by the new C7 are representative of those enthusiasts who have lived thorough the Gilded Age - C4-C6.
It will be interesting to see if the C7 will break out of this era.
IMHO
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 AM
C6Chicago
Advanced

Really? You have sales numbers already? Please share and verify.
No numbers. However a lot of forum dealers flaunting un sold allocations. This is just Forum dealers not counting the hundreds of other dealers with unsold allocations. It sure isn't hard to get at this point.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

This article could have been written about the haters of the C6. No matter how many there were then, it really didn't matter to the C6's success.
Very true. There will ALWAYS be folks who don't like a new design. This car is a far cry from a flop (as a matter of fact, it is probably one of the most celebrated cars by professional reviewers that I have seen in some time) and is very well received. It is the real deal regardless as to whether a few folks don't like the looks.

The very vocal and very bitter minority are also very loud (this is often/always the case) but, in the end, it won't change GM's direction or impact the car's success. But, cognizant dissonance runs strong in many of those people too so they will believe what they want to believe
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

No numbers. However a lot of forum dealers flaunting un sold allocations. This is just Forum dealers not counting the hundreds of other dealers with unsold allocations. It sure isn't hard to get at this point.
How about dealers that have requests that exceed their allocations (like mine)? The general public like to see, test drive and then buy cars. Initial allocations and pre-release sales are to nuts like us but we don't make up the majority of car buyers by a long shot.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

The sales of this car appear slow. There seems to still be a lot of allocation unsold. It will be interesting how well this car is selling in 2016 that will be the real "tale".
You hit it on the head!

Last edited by sam90lx; 08-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
How about dealers that have requests that exceed their allocations (like mine)? The general public like to see, test drive and then buy cars. Initial allocations and pre-release sales are to nuts like us but we don't make up the majority of car buyers by a long shot.
Any presale numbers? Does anyone know how many have been ordered or sold?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Read what I said...as usual, you ignore the point in hopes you can come up with something completely BS.

Read it again and try to understand, look beyond your personal hate of GM and the C7 to the truth of the situation.

Lots of people hated the C6 because it didn't have popups. Purists hated the fact that popups were taken out by team Corvette...it made no significant difference in the end to how successful the C6 was. You even bought one.

This article could have been written about the haters of the C6. No matter how many there were then, it really didn't matter to the C6's success.
Really? Then point us to where the Detroit Free Press wrote the same article about the C6. The point is , they found it necessary to write an article about the C7. Why was it necessary for them to write the article, if all but three people believes the C7's styling is spot on.

I remember when people on this forum said negative things about the C5's styling and when people on this forum said negative things about the C6's styling, yet the Detroit Free Press didn't feel it was necessary to write an article basically telling them to "shut up and accept it".

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a thought to ponder. Back when the C6 came out I wonder what the CF member count was, the point being that the internet has come a long way in 10 years and the pool of info is much more easily accessible. If the DFP wrote the same article 10 years ago many outside of Detroit would have never saw it. It's a different world we live in.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Alfie
This was a perfectly legitimate article and it echoes the thoughts of many of our forum members.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who agonize over what they do not like. Some even feel the need to defend their dislikes, and lack the ability to communicate in constructive ways. Others feel the need to point out their dislikes ad nauseum in an attempt to convince others.

We have a few choices in how to respond. We can simply ignore them, losing what possible insight they might have actually been able to share. We can agree with them to placate their need for acceptance and stature, which is often done with children. We can recommend professional counselling, which would probably do all of us some good given the amount of time we spend on this forum. We could also try to help see things from the perspective of 'the other guys', but that takes work that's not likely to happen on an enthusiast forum.

Given the topic at hand. Everyone gets to vote with their wallets and we'll all see how it shakes out after a few years. As the article essentially said, give it "6 months" and make sure that the complete package deserves the ire you're giving it today.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Here's a thought to ponder. Back when the C6 came out I wonder what the CF member count was, the point being that the internet has come a long way in 10 years and the pool of info is much more easily accessible. If the DFP wrote the same article 10 years ago many outside of Detroit would have never saw it. It's a different world we live in.
Did they write an article telling the SUV people to "shut up and accept it" when the Tom Peters designed the Aztek, and people started voicing their opinions on it's styling?

Doesn't really mean anything that the Internet was in it's infancy when the Aztek was released. The Detroit free press didn't tell it's hard copy readers to "shut up and accept it" back then.

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit Free Press; Corvette Purists, Stop Your Complaining

Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't disagree with that aspect of it Joe, I just think everything written nowadays gets magnified by 100.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
This was a perfectly legitimate article and it echoes the thoughts of many of our forum members.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who agonize over what they do not like. Some even feel the need to defend their dislikes, and lack the ability to communicate in constructive ways. Others feel the need to point out their dislikes ad nauseum in an attempt to convince others.

We have a few choices in how to respond. We can simply ignore them, losing what possible insight they might have actually been able to share. We can agree with them to placate their need for acceptance and stature, which is often done with children. We can recommend professional counselling, which would probably do all of us some good given the amount of time we spend on this forum. We could also try to help see things from the perspective of 'the other guys', but that takes work that's not likely to happen on an enthusiast forum.

Given the topic at hand. Everyone gets to vote with their wallets and we'll all see how it shakes out after a few years. As the article essentially said, give it "6 months" and make sure that the complete package deserves the ire you're giving it today.

Oh, you mean like when C5kid posts his feelings about the C7 without a single personal attack on any forum member, and how the "lovers' are now making personal attacks on him. There are even two topics now running making fun of him. Now, who is defending their position with "hate"?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Oh, you mean like when C5kid posts his feelings about the C7 without a single personal attack on any forum member, and how the "lovers' are now making personal attacks on him. There are even two topics now running making fun of him. Now, who is defending their position with "hate"?
At no time have I ever suggested that the 'lover' team is completely without fault. I'm actually suggesting that many of the haters are beyond reason.

There are several people on this forum with very eloquent communication skills. I'm sure these skills contribute to their success in real life. I often wonder how many of the forum members have become successful enough use a computer, much less to buy a $50K+ new car.

There are also a few members who seem nice enough, but never seem to know when to stop digging.

To clarify further: My original post was intended for those individuals I mentioned in bold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detroit Free Press; Corvette Purists, Stop Your Complaining