C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you watch your car come off the line and NOT take museum delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Suzy Cruisy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you watch your car come off the line and NOT take museum delivery?

I originally asked tons of questions about Museum Delivery, which I SOOOO want to do. However, hubby refuses to allow a drive or ship back to CA so I had to totally shelf that idea.

Nevertheless, something occurred to me this weekend that I wanted to ask -

I know some have 'watched their car be built' and come off the line.

And then the car sits two weeks.

And then you can take museum delivery.

I think some who live near KY or are retired maybe could do the watch part and return later for the delivery part.

However, can you do the watch part ONLY and then have the car shipped to your normal near home dealer?

Cheers!

Suzy
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

It's called the Buyers Tour. Read this carefully. The production should be predictable next year, but there could be delays, etc. I would plan to stay several days, just in case.

https://store.corvettemuseum.com/services/buyertour.asp
Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 AM
lawdawg79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would think spending as much as one is on a new vette that this could be included at no extra cost since one is already paying their own way to get there and rent a room in the area. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Yes but not until after September 30th....
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

I did this with my C6 in 2010. Car was delivered to the dealer a few weeks after I watched the assembly process at the Bowling Green facility. Go for it!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Suzy Cruisy
Instructor

Thanks for the reply!

Bob.. I ALMOST sent you a private message as I knew you'd know the answer , but others might make use of the general post so I contained myself.

I think that will the plan for next year!

SO, we plan to order a 2015, so the not until 'after 9/30/13' doesn't affect us specificially, but we MIGHT be one of the first to order a 2015. How does this work on a model year to year turnover at the plant? If it is not a totally new car, is there still a huge gap when tours won't be available as they start production of the new year? If we know we want to do this, would it be wise to NOT be one of the first to put an order in for 2015?

And in a 'normal' year, when does production start on the new model year and tours start?

And, last question in this wave, IF they alert you of your probable production time and you just totally can't get off work then, do you just tour the plant with the same personal guide WITHOUT getting to see your own car being built?

Thanks,

Suzy

Last edited by Suzy Cruisy; 08-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but in a "normal" year, I think the new model year production begins sometime in very late June or very early July. There is a one or two week shutdown right around that time, however. And while I think the '15 model year cars will be a "normal" year, it may not be for whatever reason (not least of which is a shortened '14 year--Aug. thru ?). I'd stay tuned to CF and dealers your trust to have the inside information to make sure that new-model production goes as planned for a "normal" year.

Your husband won't allow driving or shipping the car back? He does know the car is, or will be "shipped" to whatever dealer you pick it up at, right? Just asking, not trying to start something.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

In a normal year the plant shuts down the first 2 weeks of July for the switchover.

I'm not sure if the C7 will be the same, but it took about 20 hours to build a car, which may be 2 1/2 days. It seems like the buyers tour is for the last part of the build.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdawg79
You would think spending as much as one is on a new vette that this could be included at no extra cost since one is already paying their own way to get there and rent a room in the area. Just my humble opinion.

$800.00 is highway robbery. Other manufacturers do this for free!

Michael
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

" If you purchased Museum Delivery Option R8C, you may also participate in the Corvette Buyers Tour by signing up through the link below."

I read the above to mean you have to purchase the R8C to participate in the Buyer's Your.

Best to call the museum and get the information straight from the horses mouth.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

$800.00 is highway robbery.
If it's Museum Delivery you're referencing... the Teamsters get their cut.

serious

unless things have changed in the past 3-4 years, the Teamsters get their full amount for trucking the car from the assembly plant to the NCM. No one is allowed to just simply the car over there.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 08-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM
SJVET
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy Cruisy
Thanks for the reply!

Bob.. I ALMOST sent you a private message as I knew you'd know the answer , but others might make use of the general post so I contained myself.

I think that will the plan for next year!

SO, we plan to order a 2015, so the not until 'after 9/30/13' doesn't affect us specificially, but we MIGHT be one of the first to order a 2015. How does this work on a model year to year turnover at the plant? If it is not a totally new car, is there still a huge gap when tours won't be available as they start production of the new year? If we know we want to do this, would it be wise to NOT be one of the first to put an order in for 2015?

And in a 'normal' year, when does production start on the new model year and tours start?

And, last question in this wave, IF they alert you of your probable production time and you just totally can't get off work then, do you just tour the plant with the same personal guide WITHOUT getting to see your own car being built?

Thanks,

Suzy
This is exactly what we plan on doing for our 2015 vert. Order in June 2014 and pickup in the fall doing the buyers tour. Pickup meaning at my dealer after the car is delivered, but still doing the buyers tour but not museum delivery. By then things should be back to "normal". SJ

Last edited by SJVET; 08-28-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Suzy Cruisy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SJVET
This is exactly what we plan on doing for our 2015 vert. Order in June 2014 and pickup in the fall doing the buyers tour. Pickup meaning at my dealer after the car is delivered, but still doing the buyers tour but not museum delivery. By then things should be back to "normal". SJ
Great! See you there!

Wish I could count the days, but it is too much of a mystery to count.

Cheers,
Suzy

Get notified of new replies

To Can you watch your car come off the line and NOT take museum delivery?

Quick Reply: Can you watch your car come off the line and NOT take museum delivery?