Sponsored by:

Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
Honestly the takeaway isn't that the Viper did poorly (it did WIN even on the track), it's that the C7 is doing extremely well considering it's power and weight. GM Engineering has done a great job with this car.
Yup. It's very easy to draw a purely polarized "this team did great", "that team did poorly" conclusion when it's actually possible that team Viper just fell a bit short of what GM was able to achieve. This could be a result of R&D budgets, personnel size, etc and that brings it to the next point.

The Viper's price is largely a function of its limited production and more labor-intensive production. Corvette guys may joke about Viper owners valuing exclusiveness, but that is part of the appeal of high-priced exotics. (The "Corvette wave" would likely lose its appeal if Vettes were as common as Camrys.) From the corporate standpoint, the Viper simply has fewer units by which they can amortize development costs. Something like <2k/yr, where we may see something like ~25k/yr for the Corvette. So to recoup those costs and make a profit, the Viper will naturally be more expensive. In its segment, the Viper is still very fast. Whether it works out in the long run, only time can tell. Hope it does. The ACR will have a huge task before it to take on the C7 Zwhatever.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Let's keep an opened mind about this review, Edmunds is but one rag, another magazine could totally trash the new 'vette (yes, parish the thought) so until such time that I drive mine, I will not take anyone's word for it, bad or good.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Have you been to a track dude? Corvette's are probably the most populous modern generation car you will see at any track. They are and still will be readily raced in SCCA and NASA as top performers. There is the NCM track events that's nothing but corvettes.

And GM is building a track for goodness sake.

You couldn't be more wrong.
You are delusional dude. 1 out of 1000 or less base C7's will hit a road course/track. Most people will not know that their car is 2 tenths of a second slower through a slalom or in braking was my point. What they will notice is the 7 year old C6 at their rear bumper.

Last edited by C6Z06C6; 08-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Nice of you to speak on behalf of everyone here.

Not.
Wasn't trying to.

Fruit
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
Say that when those ten fewer feat leave you a foot behind the car in front of you instead of in its back seat.
Really???? lol
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Same thing for ZR1s

Originally Posted by Sin City
In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.
I think that the price point is the issue for both the Viper and ZR 1.

Guys that have $100,000 for a car are really not going to buy either a Viper or any Corvette.

Just the way it is and neither car will ever, ever have the status of a R8, 458, and high end Porsche's.

The ZR1 was discounted big time and one dealer had one on the floor for months without any takers.

This was in Orange County, where people have lots of money are cars are status symbols.

The price point for a high end Vette is around $80,000.

Take the car that they tested here and put in a LS7 and C6Z06/Z07 package and it beats this Viper by 2 seconds a lap at Willow Springs or Laguna Seca.

it will also sound better that the standard C7.

Please GM, tell me that you are going to sell that car for $80,000 and I will buy it tomorrow.

I promise.

Last edited by Crossofiron; 08-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Anybody who hasn't taken a seat in a 125cc shifter kart...should (as long as they can fit, lol).
S.
Forget that. 250cc Superkarts. You haven't appreciated life until you strap one of those on. Near-death experience.

As far as this test...the Vette did what it came to do. The Viper disappoints...again. It's really too bad as I was considering a change of pace.

GM really did do the homework.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
You are delusional dude....

What they will notice is the 7 year old C6 at their rear bumper.
which C6? Maybe the Z. Otherwise it would be lost in the rear view mirror after a couple of laps.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
I think that the price point is the issue for both the Viper and ZR 1.

Guys that have $100,000 for a car are really not going to buy either a Viper or any Corvette.

Just the way it is and neither car will ever, ever have the status of a R8, 458, and high end Porsche's.

The ZR1 was discounted big time and one dealer had one on the floor for months without any takers.

This was in Orange County, where people have lots of money are cars are status symbols.

The price point for a high end Vette is around $80,000.

Take the car that they tested here and put in a LS7 and C6Z06/Z07 package and it beats this Viper by 2 seconds a lap at Willow Springs or Laguna Seca.

it will also sound better that the standard C7.

Please GM, tell me that you are going to sell that car for $80,000 and I will buy it tomorrow.

I promise.
This one? Not a chance...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another video of the viper and Vette shootout....apparently they tested other cars too with video rolling out in the next few days. I'd like too see how well the C7 did against the other cars.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The Corvette is flat out a better car. Some folks here cling to the 0-60 at qt times. You have to remember, a good car has a near infinite categories to be judged on. There are Civics out there that can out accelerate the Viper.

The Corvette is not the dime a dozen car, the Viper is. Look at the reviews we have thus far, hood griles flying off, suspension settings out of wack, 30 degree differential between feet and face, pedals are misplaced. At what point will people realize these are engineering problems? The Corvette gets far more engineering hours, and it shows. It sells more because it's smarter, mechanically and economically. It's a better product. Not better in every way but certainly overall.

For 0-60s and quarter mile in a street car you pretty much need the 4wd+DCT. We are not in the 1960s where power is enough. If you bought the Viper for these two objectives you bought the wrong car.
40 thousand plus corvettes per year(mass produced vette), all generation vipers put together don't equal that, they don't even make 2k a year, and are all hand build.
You will see 100 corvettes to one viper on the street, viper a dime a dozen, you are out of your mind
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
The TA had one shot at the ZR1 and it won, people seem to forget that the Z has been in production for five years, the TA for five weeks. IMO the TA will only get faster, I think after five years GM has optimized the ZR1.

The TA was also on Pirelli Corsas, which anyone who has driven MPSC knows they are the best thing cooking short of DOT slicks. There is plenty of upside left in the Viper yet. The ACR will be a straight monster.

I have no dog in this fight though as I want them both to dominate everything else. Just keeping everything in perspective.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The TA was also on Pirelli Corsas, which anyone who has driven MPSC knows they are the best thing cooking short of DOT slicks. There is plenty of upside left in the Viper yet. The ACR will be a straight monster.

I have no dog in this fight though as I want them both to dominate everything else. Just keeping everything in perspective.
Always lots of talk about run what ya brung but can you imagine the TA with CCB's and sport cups?

I drive a 427 now, first Chevy in years and I like it a lot. I do still hold the Viper close to my heart. What bugs me is the constant comments drawn from rag tests, for me drive a Viper and understand what it's all about, it is street drivable but it shines on the track. Driving my ACR was the most fun I've ever had on a track b/c the car always made you work and challenged your own skill level, when I had my GT3RS it was the most well balanced and precise car I have ever driven but it was so good it didn't ever concern you, too boring almost! I always described them as a chisel and a scalpel, and you know which one was the chisel.

I know this is a Corvette forum but guys should respect the Viper for its amazing abilities and as a competitor to the Corvette brand.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
My friend at work just took delivery of a 2013 Viper GTS, Stryker Red Edition.

Very, very beautiful car. Just stunning from all angles, especially in that color, which changes hue based on the angle of the sun. Really highlights the curves well.

And as much as I love the exterior, I was equally impressed with the interior. I actually thought it was pretty easy to get in and out of. I just needed to change the method of entry and egress. Rather than putting one leg into the car, sitting, then putting the other leg in, I'd instead sit in the seat with both feet outside the car, then swing them in at the same time. Was actually pretty easy. I also thought the seats were just perfect. I'm about 5' 11" and 180 lbs, so not huge, but not as lean as I should be either. Found the seats to be very comfortable. Snug, but overly so. What I would like for a track day, but also comfortable for street driving as long as you don't try and move around much. Great lumbar support that helped distribute the weight. Huge amounts of leg room. With the seat tilted way back and the headrest just about touching the back wall, I couldn't reach the front of the footwell.

Also, the layout of the interior was great. Nicely symmetric in terms of vents and stereo, everything was logical. HVAC had great rotary *****. Materials were very nice. This was a two tone red/black (a bit like a C7 2LT red in terms of color location, but the Viper had more red on the doors). Nice aluminum accents. Much better steering wheel than the C7.

Finally, the acceleration was just brutal. Literally had me LOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Definitely need more of that type of craziness in today's world IMO. Loved the details in the IP, the little plastic/metal surrounds on the digital gauges. I actually thought the ride was quite good (suspension was set to softest of the two settings). Only complaint was the exhaust. Seemed a bit too loud for a cruise.

Still, I was just incredibly impressed with the car. But, I've been dreaming of a Viper since about 1996, so I was a already in love before riding in it.

It's a bit more car than I really want to own, so I'm looking forward to having a C7 Z51 with the Comp Seats when they become available. Still, on a scale of 1 to Bonkers, the Viper rates an 11 (not even sure what that means, only that the Viper was just amazing).

-T
Nice comments about a very nice car........... that cost nearly 150 large

I would like to have a GTS but they are much too expensive (for me) to justify the cost.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
You are delusional dude. 1 out of 1000 or less base C7's will hit a road course/track. Most people will not know that their car is 2 tenths of a second slower through a slalom or in braking was my point. What they will notice is the 7 year old C6 at their rear bumper.

So clearly you have not been to a track..... Just like I thought.

90% of Corvette drivers aren't going to street race either, they buy the car to wax and polish and go to Cruise ins. For the percentage of people that do care about performance (and can drive a lick), most of them will be able to tell, and care that their car handles better and IS A BETTER CAR than the C7.

No matter how hard you try, you can't reduce the betterment of the C7 to 0-60 times. Because the C7 will be better at that too.

Last edited by heavychevy; 08-30-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres the deal:
The Viper is a fine car but it lost 3 of the 5 categories. Period. It LOST this comparo and it costs $30+k more than the C7. Period. Even guys on Viper Club of America said the hand-built Viper should have killed this cheap, mass produced Corvette. It didn't. Period.

This is the second recent major comparo that the new Viper (GTS) has LOST to a Corvette (C6 ZR1). Period.

This whole BS of a TA coming in later is a completely different car on a completely different day in a NON-comparo situation. Period. Ralph is a douche. Period.

All of the guys who said to just wait for the 'independent' tests are now getting them. At least recognize what a loss is when you suffer one.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

The Viper WON 3 of 5, 1/4 mile/0-60 and road course, it lost slalom by 4/100ths and braking where the Vette excelled with the Z51 set up.

The Viper vs. ZR1 was a joke, I don't even know why SRT would run a mule (yes a non production car) against a five year old proven car that had CCB's and sport cups. And if you don't think that matters on a course like LS you are just living in denial.

And why Ralph always comes into the topic is beyond my ability to comprehend, we are talking about cars here not people.

What do the guys say on the other forums when ranking a car vs. its cost? The 400k LFA and Aventador should kill anything in their paths then right?

We get it, you hate the Viper and wish Ralph would wreck in one! I can only think you lost some sort of head to head that has caused so much animosity, was it a drag race or some other form of spanking? lol

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 08-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonK
Guess we don't hang out with the same crowd lol...not into the knuckle-dragging 1/4 mile scene myself, nor are my friends, so your scenario would never come up, we'd much rather have a fully rounded sportscar that corners and brakes exceptionally well. A Vette is not your best bet for getting the fastest 1/4 times for the lowest price, it's a sports car.

It a well rounded sports car - not a dragster!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Heres the deal:
The Viper is a fine car but it lost 3 of the 5 categories. Period. It LOST this comparo and it costs $30+k more than the C7. Period. Even guys on Viper Club of America said the hand-built Viper should have killed this cheap, mass produced Corvette. It didn't. Period.

This is the second recent major comparo that the new Viper (GTS) has LOST to a Corvette (C6 ZR1). Period.

This whole BS of a TA coming in later is a completely different car on a completely different day in a NON-comparo situation. Period. Ralph is a douche. Period.

All of the guys who said to just wait for the 'independent' tests are now getting them. At least recognize what a loss is when you suffer one.
Until you can do anything other than sit behind the keyboard and actually show us your driving skills, you are nothing more than a wannabe driver. You are basically a cheerleder who doesn't even own a corvette and who himself stated that you would possibly be buying one later down the road. So right now all you are is a C7 nutswinger. You are the typical sit behind a keyboard type person and talk crap and act like you know what you are talking about when it comes to performance driving. Have you ever even been on a track before?

Unlike you, Ralph actually drives and races his cars. Can you say the same? We all know the answer to that. You are not even the typical waxer and polisher. At least the typical waxer and polisher owns the car they talk about. You talk crap without experience. I would venture to bet that over 50% of members track their Viper. It is a way larger percentage than that in our Viper Club. But in the Corvette CLubs I am members of, it may be 10% that track their cars.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Did the C7 do an outstanding job? Absolutely! It rocked big time. Did the Viper under deliver in this test? You bet. Big time. And I am not making excuses for the Viper by any means. The base Viper (SRT) should have beaten the Corvette and by not doing so, it brings out some serious questions. I don't believe in excuses. Either you perform or you don't. And in this case, the SRT Viper didn't perform. There better be some answers or sales will surely reflect as I am sure they have already cost some sales for the Viper. Corvette 1 Viper 0.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test