Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
that GTR is almost painful to look at
To some perhaps but I will tell you that in my three weeks of GT-R ownership I have already received more "great looking car" comments than I did in all three of my C6 Vettes (including a Z06 and Grand Sport). I've always loved the looks of the GT-R.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Chalk up another one for the C7. Thanks for posting.
Did I miss something? The C7 did not out perform the GTR in this comparison. Sure, the corvette is more engaging and the GTR is less...but this has been the case since the introduction of the GTR and its battles with the C6.

While I prefer the C7, I would be shocked if it proves faster than the GT-R around a track. You will need the Z for that....and that would be a fair comparison.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
So when you say you'd never own one do you mean you'd never buy one or if someone gave you one you wouldn't take it. Me, I probably wouldn't go out and buy one for the money that they are going for now but if I was Bill Gates rich or someone gave me one I'd definitely take it.
Would never buy one. And if one was given to me, I would sell it that day as fast as I could. I love the older GTRs but never cared for this one.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
While I prefer the C7, I would be shocked if it proves faster than the GT-R around a track. You will need the Z for that....and that would be a fair comparison.
How many volts you want? Apparently the written material said it did have a faster track time.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

All we need are the:

Ring time/Laguna Seca time
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

1/4 mile trap was pretty slow for the C-7!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
C7 won on the track.... That is the only thing that matters here guys.

C7 time: 1:24.6
GTR track edition: 1:25.2

Flame suit off, because this ends the thread. GREAT job corvette team for a car that's HALF the price, and performs better, and I think looks better.
The time of 1.25 for the GTR is way off R&T ran a 1.19 around that track with the same GTR? I love the new C7 But it cant keep pace with the GTR, We have to leave that for the new Hi Po model. But remember the new GTR will be out next year and it will be a monster.
Also 0 to 60?
Its 2.7-second 0-60-mph time ties it with the fastest production vehicles we've ever tested -- Veyron, 911 Turbo

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2eA4kv6mz

While the R8's 1:21.95 lap is respectable (besting the Ferrari 458 by 0.4 second), the GT-R's 1:19.55 is the fastest we've recorded from a production car. It's also 0.17 faster than what AMA pro Steve Rapp could do with a Ducati 1198 S.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html

Last edited by DRLC5; 09-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Would never buy one. And if one was given to me, I would sell it that day as fast as I could. I love the older GTRs but never cared for this one.

The R34 was way better looking than this current one.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Did I miss something? The C7 did not out perform the GTR in this comparison. Sure, the corvette is more engaging and the GTR is less...but this has been the case since the introduction of the GTR and its battles with the C6.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
How many volts you want? Apparently the written material said it did have a faster track time.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the difference this time is that in previous battles with various C6's, some of the engagement was created by the car but not always in a good way. Its substandard seats forced engagement by the driver, as did the sometimes tricky behavior over bumps. Seems the C7 has exorcised almost all of that, and it tacks onto it better steering to boot, where the C6's numbness marked it down. This is the kind of engagement that works with the driver. Subjectively, the C7 outperformed the GT-R in this test and did so objectively on a hot day at the track.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Love the new C7 I will be buying the new Hi Po model when it comes out. I really don't understand how they only ran a 1.25 in the GTR? , Yes this one time The C7 was faster. I smell FISH..LMAO. I have Read several articles that have the GTR around 1.19 at that track? Maybe the driver was eating a SANDWICH? I also do not like the VOLT.LOL

Last edited by DRLC5; 09-06-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Love the new C7 I will be buying the new Hi Po model when it comes out. I really don't understand how they only ran a 1.25 in the GTR? , Yes this one time The C7 was faster. I smell FISH..LMAO. I have Read several articles that have the GTR around 1.19 at that track? Maybe the driver was eating a SANDWICH? I also do not like the VOLT.LOL
Different days and different drivers apparently.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 AM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesw95
Um the Corvette won what? Braking. The GT R is the other best value for the money. Yes it costs more so it should be faster and it is. I love the C7 but it cannot compete with the Nissan on numbers. If you prefer the C7, which I do, good for you, but don't diss the Nissan, it is one hell of a car.
Yeah I know the GTR outperforms anything in its category... but I think it's ugly as sh*t... just my opinion though.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is seriously LOL. People have zero perspective.

Originally Posted by Lavender
Not for 2011. 2012/2013MYs Z07s have the MPSC.

Anyway lets see if I get this right. Both cars are run by the same driver @ same day. Hot or cold or whatever. Both cars had the same gas. Is this GM or Edmunds fault? You are right. The car had a bad day. It was driven in the heat...with 91 octane fuel. So what does that tell you?
Anyone with half a brain knows forced induction cars need to and are designed to run 93 octane. SERIOUS power is pulled running lower power maps for 91 Octane. The car is designed for the entire world, not solely for silly hippy states like California.

Originally Posted by THECORVETTEMANN
And.....do not forget that the C7 is almost 1/2 the cost.

The Corvette is a BARGAIN amongst all of the world's sports cars.
1/2 the cost is nonsense. A similarly equipped C7 is $70 grand+, hardly half the cost. A Z06 C7 will be pushing $90K, just watch. Not to mention with the GTR, you don't get to see ten others of the same exact car with 65 year olds driving them on the way to work like you do with Vettes.

Originally Posted by Lavender
Until a Turbo or a Turbo S pulls next you and literally blow your doors off.

Other than that...yeah it does launch like no other car
Ya, that .1s is just blowing doors off all over the place. Here's a few pro-tips:

For around $4,000 in extremely simple mod's any 2009+ GTR can run 600 HP/TQ to the wheels, pull in 2.5 sec 0-60 times and low 10's in the quarter. I doubt with $40,000 in upgrades you'd be able to to that in a 911.

And one last thing, Nissan stupidly only sells the car with street tires. All of these tests at the 'ring etc versus cars with pilot sport cup track tires is a bit laughable. Put pilot sport cups on the GTR and the other cars get destroyed.

Oh and by the way, the C7 did a 12.3 sec 1/4 in this test? Isn't that slower than the C6 and not exactly something to be excited about.

As a vette owner I am not putting down the C7, but people lose all perspective. Especially when it comes to these silly tests done by soccer dads from sites like Edmunds who are more apt to testing econoboxes. In no-way-shape-or form is a base C7 a better car than a GTR, get real people.

Last edited by Callsign_Vega; 09-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega

Anyone with half a brain knows forced induction cars need to and are designed to run 93 octane. SERIOUS power is pulled running lower power maps for 91 Octane. The car is designed for the entire world, not solely for silly hippy states like California.

1/2 the cost is nonsense. A similarly equipped C7 is $70 grand+, hardly half the cost. A Z06 C7 will be pushing $90K, just watch. Not to mention with the GTR, you don't get to see ten others of the same exact car with 65 year olds driving them on the way to work like you do with Vettes.

Ya, that .1s is just blowing doors off all over the place. Here's a few pro-tips:

For around $4,000 in extremely simple mod's any 2009+ GTR can run 600 HP/TQ to the wheels, pull in 2.5 sec 0-60 times and low 10's in the quarter. I doubt with $40,000 in upgrades you'd be able to to that in a 911.

And one last thing, Nissan stupidly only sells the car with street tires. All of these tests at the 'ring etc versus cars with pilot sport cup track tires is a bit laughable. Put pilot sport cups on the GTR and the other cars get destroyed.

Oh and by the way, the C7 did a 12.3 sec 1/4 in this test? Isn't that slower than the C6 and not exactly something to be excited about.

As a vette owner I am not putting down the C7, but people lose all perspective. Especially when it comes to these silly tests done by soccer dads from sites like Edmunds who are more apt to testing econoboxes. In no-way-shape-or form is a base C7 a better car than a GTR, get real people.
You make me LOL.
Nissan GTR is sold mostly in California... and not for Neanderthal rednecks who still use the word hippy to describe a PLACE.

All else being equal...the driver could not get the performance out of the Nissan (as well as the Vette, Viper, 911) as a pro driver would. This is more in tune to real world driving.

Stop moving the goalposts...the Nissan had a slower lap time
"but...but...but something was wrong with the driver...or the car...this whole test was wrong...wrong gas...wrong track...wrong state....it went faster with a pro driver...let's use that time instead...yeah that's a better time...boo hooo."

Facts are a hard thing to deny... the fact is ALL these cars were driven slower...this accounts for not only the slow C7 0-60 1/4 times...but the other cars as well. What don't you guys understand?

Now is the C7 a better car? We shall see...but it sure looks better IMHO. Interior of the C7 is better also than the Nissan (my opinion of course) while I like Euro/Japanese cars more than American cars...the Vette and Viper are the only exceptions. So I am not a GTR hater...I just don't understand you guys denying t
These test results. This thread is sounding like a teen XBox vs PlayStation forum. And you are all grown men....LOL

Last edited by Blancpain; 09-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhma
You make me LOL.
Nissan GTR is sold mostly in California...
Not so. If you count the entire US, that accounts for only 42% of GT-R global sales, using 2012 figures.

IMO, the test does raise a legit concern for people who intend to use these cars for the track, especially in regions that get hot.

Last edited by Guibo; 09-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R

Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALMS21
To some perhaps but I will tell you that in my three weeks of GT-R ownership I have already received more "great looking car" comments than I did in all three of my C6 Vettes (including a Z06 and Grand Sport). I've always loved the looks of the GT-R.
I've owned 3 C6's, 2 of them Z0's and i got 10x more attention in my 2012 GT-R then all of the vettes combined. the C7 just doesn't do it for me. I think i'll buy another GT-R to hold me over till the C7Z comes out.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

The GTR is impressive still the c7 is the car I'd prefer to own...

C7 z51 MRC with NPP for 58 grand...

Torch red with red interior.

The GTR is a double bagger.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega

I see. You really have no clue about what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever ran a GTR in a .2 Turbo S? Both from a dig and a roll? Because I have...and it wasn't pretty for the GTR. I remember running one from a dig up to 300+ kp/h. When I looked in the mirror..I couldnt see where he was. He was about 3 cars behind me up to 200 kp/h....and then it seemed like he fell on its face. The pathetic aero..or lack thereof might have something to do with.

Yeah you are right. Nissan should put Sport Cups on the GTR. Oh wait...the GTR is already having issues with its current set of tires. You'll be lucky if your tires lasts your entire day on the track. I won't even mention the brakes. Some dude shot his brakes @ Hockenheim in 10 laps. And he was on stock tires. Yeah you really have a neat point.
Comical

And please...don't bring 2009 GTRs with "$4,000" in mods on the table. First of all thats modded vs stock. Second...I've seen quite a few "modded" GTRs that literally get destroyed by stock ZR1s.

Quick Reply: Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R