Sponsored by:

Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
What did you think I was referring to when I said they make the stuff that make the stuff? Germany makes robots, but they still have a strong labor force.
Now you're taking it to an extreme in a failed attempt to disprove that some manual labor is valuable (and is seen as a point of pride in craftsmanship). As I said with the example of Germany, it's not necessary that you have to have an extreme of all labor or all machines.

The designing and building of those robots can be farmed out to lower-wage countries. All you're talking about now is maintenance. Really thinks it takes more people to maintain those robots than it takes labor to build what they're building? What was the point of robots again?

And why aren't they the same? Because if Toyota employed the same technique, they'd never hit their production goals. Pagani's production goals are far different, and it's worked out for them so far.
So where exactly is this perfect balance between man and machine that you believe exists? How do you determine where to draw the line? I think my stance is pretty clear. And why in the world do you think that advanced robots capable of building cars would be easier to outsource than the actual manual manufacturing of those cars???

Besides, the debate about helping the economy and whatnot was a clever little distraction, but completely besides the original point, which is that hand-made is objectively no better than machine-made in terms of the quality of the final product.

As for Pagani... That's kind of my point.

Who said it does? In the case of Porsche and Corvette, it is obvious that one method produces a better interior than another. I don't see Porsche benchmarking the C6 interior.
Again, the point is that even if one manufacturer produces a better interior than another, that doesn't mean that any one method of that manufacturer is better. Maybe their design is better, their materials are better, etc. It doesn't mean that hand-made > robot made.

That's not condescension. That's sarcasm. But there's probably some truth to it, am I right?
Condescension and sarcasm are not mutually exclusive. What you said was condescendingly sarcastic.

Absent any objective calculus on your part, is there any reason why the free market concept of value isn't valid?

And yet you will not even engage into a debate, point for point, about the advantages and disadvantes between Corvette and 911. You have not yet countered those things I've listed (and we can even get into more, if you want).
Already had both these arguments in the past... I'm trying to limit how many circles we run here.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 09-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v26278
Have you identified the population of, and conducted a scientific survey of, "most people in the know" and if so may we see the results...
It's the subjective opinion of professional drivers those who review cars in the media.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Edmunds is the nerd of auto magazines...

Just ahead of consumer reports..

Its a pricing guide that creates articles for traffic ..

Edmunds vs motor trend...or better yet car and driver..( motor trend did do that stupid rain test comparison of the grand sport versus 911 a year or two back...lol

Lets see the differences in the report and enjoy the cool video edmunds showed us.

Its like asking a pro golfer to play pro football...at least at this stage.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerriVette
... motor trend did do that stupid rain test comparison of the grand sport versus 911 a year or two back...
It wasn't a test they designed to be run in the rain; it wasn't a "rain test comparison". They had the cars for a couple of days and although highly unusual, it did rain the first day of the test. They said they weren't going to skip the test just because of some rain, so they proceeded. That makes complete sense to me. Besides, it was good to see how both cars performed on public roads where the vast majority of owners operate them and where traction and temperatures aren't "track perfect". The review illustrated what the real-world capabilities of both care are.

So no, it wasn't even close to a "stupid" test.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I read on another forum that the Corvette says you're getting there as fast as you can while the 911 says you've already arrived.

Money no object, I'd choose to own both cars.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Notch
It wasn't a test they designed to be run in the rain; it wasn't a "rain test comparison". They had the cars for a couple of days and although highly unusual, it did rain the first day of the test. They said they weren't going to skip the test just because of some rain, so they proceeded. That makes complete sense to me. Besides, it was good to see how both cars performed on public roads where the vast majority of owners operate them and where traction and temperatures aren't "track perfect". The review illustrated what the real-world capabilities of both care are.

Says the guy on corvette forum who continually says Porsches are better...

I'm not surprised at your response.

Main Focal point is edmunds is not exactly Up to the test standards of car and driver, road and track or as I mentioned even motor trend...

Their impressions are valid...the video cool but the test data is less than representative.....in my opinion based off of the fact edmunds main focus is price guidelines etc...

Its created these edmunds reviews to increase web site traffic etc...

They are improving but still placed above consumer reports...(which many Americans respect) and below carand driver etc as a true test of a vehicles capabilities..
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And yet AWD Porsches aren't used for that application. Nor Audis (at least not private customer ones). Evos and WRXs are, but then you're losing the point about the 911: It is that adept in poor conditions and that fast in the dry (<7:40 on the Nurburgring), and neither car matches the delicacy of controls and feedback of the 911.
The point about the Motor Trend test is that you really don't even have to drive the 911 that aggressively for the Porsche to offer far more confidence. That was not a test of at-the-limit driving (at least not for the 911s). At anything less than that, the 911 is still comfortably more secure.
But the 911's overall design is an asset to traction and functionality that many customers want. From a roll is one thing, but once you introduce steering lock and less than ideal conditions, limited sightlines (ie, not able to practice run after run on a racetrack), then it's the added confidence that can matter.
No the Motor Trend article was about test the limits of the cars on very cold wet roads. A bad idea in my opinion. If you enjoy doing that sort of thing or encourage it, to each their own. The Porsche may have been "better" here, but I don't value the criteria of driving aggressively in adverse conditions on public roads. I would still take a WRX or EVO with all season high performance tires here. They would be better than either car.

The 911 is first and foremost a sports car. The rear engine design is not an asset to this aim. You can find outside cases where this is can be an asset. But overall it is not. It is not an overwhelming traction advantage and likely not much of one at all in today's market. It is not the reason the 911 feels precise or inspires confidence. In fact in the older years it caused the opposite opinion.

Again I am not saying that the 911 isn't an excellent car. But it is not because it is rear engined. It is in spite of it. You can't argue against simple physics.

Last edited by 99C5JA1; 09-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, it was. No one should encourage driving aggressively on public roads in those conditions.

Real world common sense for a sane owner of an expensive sports car is to make sure that traction control is enabled and keep your foot out of it. Regardless of marque.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
I read on another forum that the Corvette says you're getting there as fast as you can while the 911 says you've already arrived.

Money no object, I'd choose to own both cars.
Would that be 6speedonline?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
Yes, it was. No one should encourage driving aggressively on public roads in those conditions.
No it wasn't. Go back and read the article.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

When I need a car type to speak for me...I'd be in trouble. I buy and own what I like.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Would that be 6speedonline?
Yup, sure was. I've been researching 996 and 997 cars quite a bit lately.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I don't do that.

Not surprised my the accuracy?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I don't do that.

Not surprised my the accuracy?
Lack there of and bias but its all good...

You make it fun..

Keep up the good work...

If we all agreed it would be boring.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Lack there of and bias but its all good...

You make it fun..

Keep up the good work...

If we all agreed it would be boring.
Disagreeing is one thing, making things up about someone is quite another.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Disagreeing is one thing, making things up about someone is quite another.
Thanks for agreeing not to make up any more nonsense.

Please accept my apologies if my interpretation and perspective of edmunds upsets you.

I did like the edmunds video efforts yet find car and driver, road and track and even motor trend test data more accurate when testing manual transmission vehicles.

Its unfortunate that is offensive to you.

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Main Focal point is edmunds is not exactly Up to the test standards of car and driver, road and track or as I mentioned even motor trend...

Their impressions are valid...the video cool but the test data is less than representative.....in my opinion based off of the fact edmunds main focus is price guidelines etc...

Its created these edmunds reviews to increase web site traffic etc...

They are improving but still placed above consumer reports...(which many Americans respect) and below carand driver etc as a true test of a vehicles capabilities..
Read the article, you obviously have not, it was clearly a test that happened to have rain during it, just because the Vette did terrible in the rain you think it should not be valid?

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test

Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1

Real world common sense for a sane owner of an expensive sports car is to make sure that traction control is enabled and keep your foot out of it. Regardless of marque.
Notch is dead on, you obviously did not read it either. The conclusion was the Vette was down right dangerous to drive in the rain conditions they were in.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

It's deja vu all over again.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Thanks for agreeing not to make up any more nonsense.
Stop making stuff up.

Please accept my apologies if my interpretation and perspective of edmunds upsets you.
They don't upset me.

Quick Reply: Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test