Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The coming invasion!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM
ucfsaxman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see 3-5 per week on average and I live in the Orlando area although I don't drive that far to school or work. I definitely live in area where people own these types of cars and of course the dime a dozen BMW Mercedes Audis even at the college. Whats funny is I never see C4's in any where near the condition mine is in or in general so my car is very rare and I have gotten a lot of positive comments from people. My plan is to go from my C4 into a lightly used C7 in a few years. So basically from the outhouse to the penthouse
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stocksting
Personally I like the fact that you don't see a vette every 30 cars that go by. I drove my '11 GS 3-4 times a week not a daily driver, but that's why we wave to each other, we don't see one that often. If mustang guys waved to each other their wrist would fall off.

Absolutely right. On a nice week end summer evening drive I can count 20 mustangs in 20 minutes....
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great commentary, thanks for participating. It does appear that with the odd exception of Orange County in SoCal, the midwest is teaming with American muscle. The Left and Right Coast do tend to have their noses pointed upward most of the time. But, I don't think it's really a stigma thing as much as it is the vast majority of people know about as much about cars as they do about guns.... almost zero. So the easiest way to pick your next car and to conform is to buy the car that everybody else is buying within your economic peer group. In other words, the same car all the other soccer moms, or co-workers, or whoever your peer group is, buys. Face it, car guys like Vettes, most professionals I work around are not car guys unless you consider a guy who changes leased cars as often as underwear, a "car guy". I'm a farm boy turned professional and the people I am around understand more about how the infotainment center in the car works (in detail) than the engine.....far more. I work with people that regularly consult to the electric car industry at a strategic level. And guess what? They buy Porsches and Telsas. Yes sir, the age of the software driven car and it's coming very soon to a Corvette near you! Time to break out the code books boys!

Last edited by Dusty Starbucks; 09-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Once a day. Thats only because a guy at work drives one. Otherwise, it would be about 2 or so a week. Baltimore area.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Sometimes I see a few in a day & most days I see one or two or zero. In the winter I rarely see any.

Guess mainly garage queens around here.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not many at all. But then I don't look for them. Most people don't pay attention
anymore. Just watch when you're out, most do not even turn there head. So many
cars are sporty looking today just not that big of deal like 30 years ago.

Daily driver no. Especially if your truly running errands in them. Aaaaaaa where
are going to put anything, but a roll of paper towels. Dragging Aaaaaaa try driving
through a lot with speed bumps, pulling in or out off a road and dragging the
front end. No these are not daily drivers. Spend too much time on where to park,
oops thats a bad entrance, etc. Along with setting so low, stare at the valve stem
of an 18 wheeler.

Beside look at a Cadillac, looks just as good, sporty or maybe better than a vette

http://www.cadillac.com/2013-cts-v-l...|_cadillac%20v

I like BMW, Lexus over GM anyway. Better build quality

Last edited by texvette2; 09-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

8 - 10 a day.

Heck there're are handful in the parking lot of my office.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I live in Granbury, Texas, a small town of less than 10,000 people located 35 miles southwest of the DFW metroplex. We have about 40 Corvettes of various ages, two Vipers, one Ford GT, one Lamborghini Gallardo, several 8 cylinder Ferraris and two Maserati Quatroportes and I see at least some of them on the street each day. I also live 10 miles from MSR Cresson. I drive my 04 Z06 every single day.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by texvette2
Not many at all. But then I don't look for them. Most people don't pay attention
anymore. Just watch when you're out, most do not even turn there head. So many cars are sporty looking today just not that big of deal like 30 years ago.

Daily driver no. Especially if your truly running errands in them. Aaaaaaa where are going to put anything, but a roll of paper towels. Dragging Aaaaaaa try driving through a lot with speed bumps, pulling in or out off a road and dragging the front end. No these are not daily drivers. Spend too much time on where to park, oops thats a bad entrance, etc. Along with setting so low, stare at the valve stem
of an 18 wheeler.

Beside look at a Cadillac, looks just as good, sporty or maybe better than a vette

Man, big time Buzz kill! What happened to you? Member since 2000 and "I don't even look at cars anymore". I am surprised that anybody would even be on a forum that thinks that way.

I like BMW and Lexus too, but they are different cars. I also like tractors, because a BWM has a hard time pulling a 70 foot plow. A lot of people like driving something other than a rolling living room day in and day out. I am one of them and I think most people here are. Also, I would venture to guess most have more than one car or truck for various purposes.

That's the sadest commentary I have heard on this forum. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your opinion of "not a daily driver", but that read to me like you lost any and all interest in cars.

Last edited by Dusty Starbucks; 09-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

California people are about 1% innovators and 98% lemmings. They buy whatever some else tells them to buy or think will impress the neighbor, boss, etc....
Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
anymore. Just watch when you're out, most do not even turn there head. So many
cars are sporty looking today just not that big of deal like 30 years ago.

Daily driver no. Especially if your truly running errands in them. Aaaaaaa where
are going to put anything, but a roll of paper towels. Dragging Aaaaaaa try driving
through a lot with speed bumps, pulling in or out off a road and dragging the
front end. No these are not daily drivers. Spend too much time on where to park,
oops thats a bad entrance, etc. Along with setting so low, stare at the valve stem
of an 18 wheeler.

Sounds like you have one foot in the grave already. My condolences.

I daily drove a supercharged c5 for 4 1/2 years and I would do it again now. Sports cars make great daily drivers.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stocksting
Personally I like the fact that you don't see a vette every 30 cars that go by. I drove my '11 GS 3-4 times a week not a daily driver, but that's why we wave to each other, we don't see one that often. If mustang guys waved to each other their wrist would fall off.
Not Shelby GT500 guys. It's great that Corvette guys still wave, can't wait to get in my C7 and wave away.lol
Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

The waving comment, brings up a question I have for all the existing Corvette people. Is there some requirement to drive with your parking lights on?.....cause I didn't see it in the manual.

and now I have to wave, too? You guys are gonna have to teeach me the rules of being a Carvette guy
Old 09-14-2013, 06:55 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
The waving comment, brings up a question I have for all the existing Corvette people. Is there some requirement to drive with your parking lights on?.....cause I didn't see it in the manual.

and now I have to wave, too? You guys are gonna have to teeach me the rules of being a Carvette guy
Just be glad you didn't have to learn to "wink" the headlights at other vetted since the rebate no more headlights that flip.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Maybe two a week, if I'm lucky.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

They are not parking lights, if you are referring to c6s. They are The DRLs. They're much brighter than the actual parking lights which use the same bulb, but on the dimmer filament.

The DRL's are at the intensity of the turn signals, and utilize the brighter filament of the same bulb.

One bulb. Two filaments.
Bright filament: Turn signal & DRL
Low filament: Parking lights

The DRLs can be turned off by rotating the headlight control to OFF. But must be repeated each time the engine is started.

All of the above refers to a C6 only.

Ed
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
They are not parking lights, if you are referring to c6s. They are The DRLs. They're much brighter than the actual parking lights which use the same bulb, but on the dimmer filament.

The DRL's are at the intensity of the turn signals, and utilize the brighter filament of the same bulb.

One bulb. Two filaments.
Bright filament: Turn signal & DRL
Low filament: Parking lights

The DRLs can be turned off by rotating the headlight control to OFF. But must be repeated each time the engine is started.

All of the above refers to a C6 only.

Ed
Well, there ya go. Thanks yellow, I learned something. I've only seen white DRLs. The C7 has white, as well.

Get notified of new replies

To The coming invasion!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

FWIW I did an experiment today. I live in Kansas City, MO and was meeting a friend in Columbia, MO about 120 miles away for a ride down to the Lake of the Ozarks for Bikefest. I trailered my bike to Columbia, we rode down to the lake (65 miles) then went for about a 120 mile ride around the lake, rode back to Columbia and trailered back home. In all I covered about 490 miles today. I counted 14 Corvettes of all generations from door to door which amounts to about one Corvette every 35 miles. Not exactly scientific but it was definitely less than I expected especially on a gorgeous 78 degree Saturday.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Well, there ya go. Thanks yellow, I learned something. I've only seen white DRLs. The C7 has white, as well.
C5 & C6 both have yellow DRLs
Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Based on your avatar I think you might relate to this. When I have been on the west end of Coronado Beach in San Diego and the carrier based fighter jets come in for landing at the naval air station there they are only 50-100 ft off the deck. They always have cool "running lights". That is one reason I like the look of "running lights" on a C6 and leave mine on.

Quick Reply: The coming invasion!