Sponsored by:

The coming invasion!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Based on your avatar I think you might relate to this. When I have been on the west end of Coronado Beach in San Diego and the carrier based fighter jets come in for landing at the naval air station there they are only 50-100 ft off the deck. They always have cool "running lights". That is one reason I like the look of "running lights" on a C6 and leave mine on.
It wasn't a rag, just something a non-Corvette guy notices, but never remembers to ask anyone about. I really did think it was sort of secret hand shake thingy between all you guys. Like I said, they look like parking lights to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
Prior to the invasion of the C7 that everyone talks about, I'd like to take an informal poll here. For the past several weeks I have been looking specifically for Vettes in the Northern California daily commute traffic I love so much. First week I saw exactly 4 Corvettes, second week I saw 3 and this week I saw 4. I'm in Silicon Valley and I see countless BMWs, Lexus, and a large number of Porsches. I see a surprising number of Teslas, on the order of 35/week. My brother bought a Prius (I know, don't even start) and I counted those for a few days, it was upwards of 30 a day!

I've heard people say the Corvette is a great daily driver and then you still get a roadster, too. But is it the area that has me wondering, where are all these Corvettes or is it the car isn't driven but on nice Saturday afternoons, or what?

How many Corvettes do you see per week on the road or per day and where are you from? (I'm not talking about you guys that spend all your time at the Corvette Club or America, either.)
Rarely...maybe once or twice a month....South/Central Jersey...Lots of turnpike driving too...judging by the thread "where's your new baby going to live" or roughly that translation, last I checked, including mine there were 2...so I guess not much is going to change....
Currently driving a Genesis Coupe 3.8 as a DD...don't see many of them either...lotsa Prius's and other nondescript cars around...
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vettes in Mass

Originally Posted by Mikec7
dont see too many here in Massachusetts - maybe a few a week on average.
I live in Mass on the New Hamshire border,and,maybe see five a week!
That is,unless I go to MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 AM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stocksting
Personally I like the fact that you don't see a vette every 30 cars that go by. I drove my '11 GS 3-4 times a week not a daily driver, but that's why we wave to each other, we don't see one that often. If mustang guys waved to each other their wrist would fall off.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I would estimate I see four or five Corvettes every day in my area. I live in a suburb north of Oklahoma City.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Ever since we got our first C6 (a few weeks ago - WHOPPEE!!!), I've had my eye on the road looking for vettes. I commute in silicon valley, home of the IPO, and lots of excess $.

I am lucky to see 1-2 vettes per day on my 70 miles round trip commute, 3 on a really high volume day. We have 2 vettes in our parking lot (approx 1500 people), and maybe 6-10 Porsches, lots of BMWs, a few Audi's. Interestingly in geeky computer high tech, lots of people are super "green", so excesses of hybrids and not much on the sports cars. I doubt most know that gas mileage in this V8 torque machine is as good as it is.

Personal and biased impressions. Porsche's have snoot and status appeal, Vettes have that Xtreme, daring, fun and just raw sex appeal. When you drive around in a vette, everyone who looks at your car smiles, and you feel compelled to wave. Vette drivers wave to one another. Even just coming in, I feel like I've just joined a family. Can you just imagine Porsche drivers waving to one another?

For GM, I do hope marketing to a broader audience works, as the cars are just too amazing not to be enjoyed by more people.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:35 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
C5 & C6 both have yellow DRLs
But you can't turn them off.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
But you can't turn them off.
I don't remember my C5, but you can turn them off on the C6s.

Just rotate the headlight switch to the off position, which is a momentary contact position, and they will remain off until you restart the engine.

I turn mine off on bright, hot days ever since I had my headlights out to paint the inside black, and noticed that the socket for that bulb was charred and distorted from overheating.

That was on my 2006 convert. I don't know if they changed the socket since then, but I have continued the practice with my 2010 Grand Sport Convert. Of course only when I felt it was safe to turn them off.

Both the 06 and 10 were Velocity Yellow so I felt the car was quite noticeable without the DRLs on sunny days.

Ed
Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Have yet to see one��
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

My wife drives hers (06 Z51) daily an hour or so search way... Did so as well with her 04 C5 before, and did so on our first 97 C5 when I turned it over to her a couple of years after buying it.

My GS is also my daily driver, except that I mostly work from home so don't have to commute all that often.

The Corvette makes a great daily driver... Great mileage, enjoyable road car, power to burn when needed, and can't beat the looks IMHO.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 PM
geezerman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Maybe two a day
we're in the somewhat wealthy va. suburbs of wash., d.c.,..i see at least 10 vettes a day,..also lot's of mercs,..beemers,..porsches,...even the occasional ferrari,..and lambo!,..the car I NEVER SEE?!,..is your Nissan gtr?,..I've literally seen 2!,..in the 6 years that thing has been produced?,...at least, here in this area,.it appears to NOT be selling very well?..just sayin'?...
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I live in Austin,Tx. Lots of techies, large university, state capital, all this equals BMW, Tesla, M.B., lots of Porsches and a couple of Italian cars. There are a lot of Corvettes here but only see about 2 per day, every day, but it is a different 2 every day. Only 2 GTR's in the past 4-5 years.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

C6 Corvettes maybe one a day. C6Z's maybe two a week around here. I travel approx. 300 - 400 miles per week, half of that in and around the Boston area.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be heavy Vette area and I drive 100+ miles most days but not many days that I don't see 10-12 mostly C-5 & a couple of C-6's. Have seen a couple of GM C-7's on road but that is part of being in Michigan.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, in a pretty affluent area, and hardly ever see a Vette. Lots of Porsches and Audis. But having owned a Porsche (they are wonderful cars), and when it came time to buy another sports car I wanted a manual transmission, not a $4k automatic option. I think Tadge and his team have hit a home run with the C7 and it will be every bit the performer and daily driver I want. Let the me-toos buy all the same cars; I like having something that's not seen often, and the rumble of a 460HP v-8 will be awesome.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

West central IL. Maybe a couple every week.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a bazillion Vettes here on Long Island.

Get notified of new replies

To The coming invasion!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
I live in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, in a pretty affluent area, and hardly ever see a Vette. Lots of Porsches and Audis. But having owned a Porsche (they are wonderful cars), and when it came time to buy another sports car I wanted a manual transmission, not a $4k automatic option. I think Tadge and his team have hit a home run with the C7 and it will be every bit the performer and daily driver I want. Let the me-toos buy all the same cars; I like having something that's not seen often, and the rumble of a 460HP v-8 will be awesome.
I hear that Jimbob. I'm in South Bay. Same demographic and same feeling about driving something that is less common. Just one of the attractive things about it for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
rmarc7828
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
California people are about 1% innovators and 98% lemmings. They buy whatever some else tells them to buy or think will impress the neighbor, boss, etc....
Seconded!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarc7828
Seconded!
Yep, remember "Get Shorty" where they all ended up driving "The Cadillac Of Minivans" because cool guy Travolta was driving one?

Quick Reply: The coming invasion!