C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the C7 be lowered using the stock components?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Shaka
A few things. For street use, 1" is not going to affect too much.
Total bling here - I'll get it done as soon as I see how the car handles speeds bumps in my complex. In all the cars I've lowered before (honda and BMW) lowering an inch or less did not require a alignment if you realized you were not in perfect spec. But tire wear was minimal...More than an inch required new rods and alignment.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shaka is making some really good points. For looks not too much to think about but for track driving, the car with MRC is at a limit higher than almost any street car. Plus lowering effects corner balancing and cross weights. The gm engineers spent a lot of time on weight bias toward the rear and this can also be effected from lowering incorrectly.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3FORME
Shaka is making some really good points. For looks not too much to think about but for track driving, the car with MRC is at a limit higher than almost any street car. Plus lowering effects corner balancing and cross weights. The gm engineers spent a lot of time on weight bias toward the rear and this can also be effected from lowering incorrectly.
They say this chassis is 60% stiffer. I don't know what that means. The C6 Z06 flexes like a pretzel. Even with coil overs, you going to put a lot of energy into the chassis at one wheel before it shows up at the diagonal wheel. I'm real curious to measure actual torsion and bending on the C7.
I would do it the same way I would on a Z06 without a roll cage. I would check ride heights all round with or without me in the seat. Collect all data. Then I would put a weight on the drivers seat equivalent to mine then jack the car at the front subframe in the middle just enough to unload the front tires. They don't even have to be off the ground. Check rear ride heights again. Collect data. This is a production setting that you will have to accept. It tells you diagonal load transfer. It will be very nice if it is the same.
Set the back to the stock ride height less and inch plus the stand alone height. Do the same with the front by jacking up the rear. It will take a few attempts to get the ride heights perfect. Lower the car and roll it a couple of feet each time. Check ride heights again. If they are correct, it's done. You don't have to do corner weights which is a science anyway and futile on a Z06 and maybe on a C7 also.
If you did scale it, you would find that there would be no load transfer with the above procedure other than factory.

Last edited by Shaka; 09-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Can the C7 be lowered using the stock components?