Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am GM's "Target Buyer"......

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Hurricane

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I am not exactly the target because I have had Corvettes for the past 14 years and am in my mid 40s. However, if they hadn't hit it out of the park with the C7, I was seriously considering getting a 911 next. So by continuing to move the mark, GM is doing a great job of keeping me in the fold...
Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by WackyBob
I am really happy to have found the forum and have enjoyed spending time on here the past few months and plan to continue spending time on here (much to my wife's dismay).

I have read many posts dealing with GM's "new younger target buyer" and many posts dealing with "Vette vs. Porsche".

That being said I figured I would throw out my .02 cents. First off I am 35 years old. My C7 is currently @ code 3300 and I am foaming at the mouth to get it.

I have had 6 previous Vette's. My first was a gold 84 that I purchased for $5,000 my sophomore year in college. Since that time I have had a 92, 97, 05, 07 ZO6 & a 78 Pace Car at various times over the past 15 years.

I have loved Vette's since I was a kid but I must admit I had lost the passion I once had for them. I had recently considered buying a C2 since I had lost my appetite for new models. Even the ZR1 didn't thrill me and I honestly think it's overpriced. But the C7 bug bit me hard. I think GM has knocked it out of the park in all aspects including styling, price, performance & quality.

By the way......I sold my 911 Carerra S vert so the wife would give me the blessing on the new C7.

That is all
Congrats on the C7! Welcome to the club. I am 31 and have a 68 El Camino, 71 Vette, 03 Z06, 03 Suburban, 06 Convertible, 14 2LT Z51 (Currently 4D00).

I just sold my 02 vert and my 71 Monte in preparation for the C7, but they probably didn't target me since my first Vette was a 91 I got at 19.

I like Blue

My Son just joined the club at 11 months, but he won't get it until next month on the 9th. He is NOT GM's target buyer!

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eagle Ray 7
I’m a little older than the target age and a first time corvette buyer.
Me too. But Wacky Bob hit it on the head. I was in the market for the new Cayman or another Boxster. And it does appear they hit it out of the park with the C7. It would be interesting to see how many of us Porsche loyalists are now looking at the other side of the fence.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Actually, I'm the main target (as well as others in my peer group)

31, IT Professional, DINK, Currently drives RWD Japanese Imports - They did a good job...I'm even willing to look past the Pushrods and Leaf Springs
Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

You guys are all wrong. The actual target buyer is the person who has the desire for a performance two seat sports car and has the means to acquire it. That pretty much encompasses both genders, aged 21 through 100 years old. Maybe slightly younger/older?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:06 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts

I would agree that the target buyer is anyone who wants one and can purchase one but I also think GM needed to really release a game changing car that would attract a new younger buyer.

Look at Cadillac....before the first Escalade was released most folks under 55 would never have considered buying a Caddy. Now they have a loyal following in multiple age brackets. Granted that was a whole brand and not just a single model but the concept is the same. Harley Davidson has managed to freshen up their image as well and that started with the release of the V-Rod.

Bottom line for me at least is that I always loved Corvette but the same old thing wasn't going to hack it. My next sport's car was going to be Japanese or German.......until the C7.

It's a game changer. One of those things that makes you PROUD that its Made in the USA!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 33 and a target as well since I like the great new ride. Age has nothing to do with this. That idea is getting old.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by CJJ
I'm 33 and a target as well since I like the great new ride. Age has nothing to do with this. That idea is getting old.
From a business standpoint you have to have a "targeted" buyer.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by WildVettes
From a business standpoint you have to have a "targeted" buyer.
I run a 20M dollar sales operation. Thanks for the lesson. My point is that this "I'm in my 30s so I'm more important is lame, and by the way here is a list of all my cars that I have bought since I have no real responsibilities and I am a DINK". I would never call myself a dink even if I was though. It's called fortunate.

Signed
VIN #52

Last edited by CJJ; 09-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by CJJ
I run a 20 Milan dollar sales operation. Thanks for the lesson. My point is that this "I'm in my 30s so I'm more important is lame, and by the way here is a list of all my cars that I have bought since I have no real responsibilities and I am a DINK". I would never call myself a dink even if I was though. It's called fortunate.
Comparing running a 20 million sales operation to a billion dollar company hardly makes you an expert. GM is in the billions. A Best Buy store does 50-75 million but I wouldn't consider the GM an expert on all things business. Sorry if you took that comment as an insult.

Personally I don't call myself a Dink because I have no idea what a Dink is. I actually take a little offence at the 30s and no responsibilities. I currently have a mortgage, a rental property with a mortgage and insurance, a wife, a child, and enough monthly "responsibilities" to make most people turn white.

My dad died at 54 and I haven't spoken with my mother in over six years. No one gave me anything. I don't consider myself "fortunate" because I have had to work really really hard every day to get to where I am now. People born into money are what I would consider fortunate. The rest of us work for a living and try to make mostly good financial decisions, or at the very least learn from our lessons.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

[QUOTE=WackyBob;1584925481]I would agree that the target buyer is anyone who wants one and can purchase one but I also think GM needed to really release a game changing car that would attract a new younger buyer.

Look at Cadillac....before the first Escalade was released most folks under 55 would never have considered buying a Caddy. Now they have a loyal following in multiple age brackets. Granted that was a whole brand and not just a single model but the concept is the same. Harley Davidson has managed to freshen up their image as well and that started with the release of the V-Rod.

Bottom line for me at least is that I always loved Corvette but the same old thing wasn't going to hack it. My next sport's car was going to be Japanese or German.......until the C7.

It's a game changer. One of those things that makes you PROUD that its Made in the USA![/QUOTE

Unfortunately, you will never see a pure US car ever again. The cars now are assembled in US with parts made all over the world.

Still don't see myself in a Cadillac. Just not my type, much to plush, to big, just uncool.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
CJJ
Racer

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Comparing running a 20 million sales operation to a billion dollar company hardly makes you an expert. GM is in the billions. A Best Buy store does 50-75 million but I wouldn't consider the GM an expert on all things business. Sorry if you took that comment as an insult.

Personally I don't call myself a Dink because I have no idea what a Dink is. I actually take a little offence at the 30s and no responsibilities. I currently have a mortgage, a rental property with a mortgage and insurance, a wife, a child, and enough monthly "responsibilities" to make most people turn white.

My dad died at 54 and I haven't spoken with my mother in over six years. No one gave me anything. I don't consider myself "fortunate" because I have had to work really really hard every day to get to where I am now. People born into money are what I would consider fortunate. The rest of us work for a living and try to make mostly good financial decisions, or at the very least learn from our lessons.

You are taking me the wrong way and I am taking you the wrong way. Fortunate does not mean born into money to me. It means that fortunately you have a good opportunity to be happy and in our case buy a car that really is just for fun. However you got there is your own business. I was also not comparing my business to GM which is entirely different. I was saying thanks for teaching me about target audience.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts

A CTS-V coupe IS VERY cool. I'm proud of what Caddy has done.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:04 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by WackyBob
A CTS-V coupe IS VERY cool. I'm proud of what Caddy has done.
Agreed. I have been begging my wife to get a CTSV for years and she got an Elantra. Grrrrrr. She briefly wanted a Camaro and it died out. She wants a family car when we have a suburban. Her "four door family car" is now too small. I was trying to talk her into a ctsv wagon or a magnum srt8, trailblazer SS. No luck anywhere.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
I run a 20M dollar sales operation. Thanks for the lesson. My point is that this "I'm in my 30s so I'm more important is lame, and by the way here is a list of all my cars that I have bought since I have no real responsibilities and I am a DINK". I would never call myself a dink even if I was though. It's called fortunate.
Never said I was "more important" however, It's been said a million and eleven times that GM was aiming really, really hard to go after the 25-35 crowd that currently drive RWD Imports (Asian or European)

Rather then seeing it as me tooting my own horn (somehow) - It's actually more along the lines of "Good job GM, You did it - You have our attention"

Sorry to offend your sensibilities good sir lol

Last edited by Houston Z33; 09-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Hogfish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM isn't targeting any particular group. They are simply trying to give us the best sportscar they can at a price most can afford. They've done a great job.

I'm 35 as well, currently driving a C6 Vert, this is my 5th Corvette. Honestly though I had been thinking my next sportscar would be a Viper. I bought an SRT-10 pickup a few years ago and love it, this started my straying. Thankfully GM has nailed it with the C7 and I am back to being a Vette Fan Boy
Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
I also have not owned a vette over the past 7 years and the C 6 that I did own was only for a short time. The C7 has hit the nail on the head. The rear window design has really made this car a knock out.
This is the only thing I DISlike with the C6. Glad GM finally ditched the greenhouse rear glass 80's look.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

IMO .... GM's target has very little to do with age ...if you have 70 grand to spend on a car...that is what they care about. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but that is how I see it. Enjoy the new car...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
You guys are all wrong. The actual target buyer is the person who has the desire for a performance two seat sports car and has the means to acquire it. That pretty much encompasses both genders, aged 21 through 100 years old. Maybe slightly younger/older?
I like what I like and couldn't care less what ANYONE thinks the "target demographic" is.

Quick Reply: I am GM's "Target Buyer"......