C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
If you want your car to be a garage queen good for you, I'm going to do what I want to do with MY car, go ahead, worry about what your paint will look like, me for one will enjoy my car year round while yours is in the garage I will be delightfully driving mine around. Yeah I have an Explorer for the really bad days which amount to maybe 15 out of 365, not too bad IMO. As for a pleasure, damn rights it is........
Not putting winter tires on because I live in Texas and only have about 3 days a year I don’t drive the cars.
It’s great to see not everyone will lock the C7 up and hold it hostage in the garage. I salute you sir! Drive on!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Heck with winter tires, go directly to chains.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ya, I've got on order a set of John Deere winter tractor tires. NOT.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

I'll be on Pirelli Winter Sottozero's half the year!
Got a Jeep when snow gets deep...a blast to drive.
Occasionally ride my Street Glide on a cold/sunny winter day.

Last edited by C8Jake; 09-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by KingMotley
Actually, you sound like the idiot. You can hardly put a sentence together. I plan on driving my car, not locking it away in the garage. It's not my only car, but I'll be driving it in the snow quite often, and reserve my other car only for the worst of days. Yes, the paint will get scratched (OH NO!) and I'll park it in the sun almost every day.

You sound like the guy who had to "reach" for the corvette, having to make sure to baby it so you can resell it for maximum value when you are done with it. I'll drive mine into the ground and when it dies, I'll go get another one and do it all over again. I buy my cars to enjoy them, not some sort of weird reverse investment scheme. I have stocks for that, but thank you for your concern over my finances. Sort of reminds me of the guy who kept his toys in the package while all the other kids were out having fun with theirs. I don't ever think back and wish I still had my toys in their box looking all pretty.
QUEEN MOTLEY! YEAH I baby mine all 600 plus rwhp. Getting ready to add a ZR1 along with KEEPING the blown Z!
AND a GTR to the stable. I'll pass on the C-7! Too slow!
Actually I likely put more miles on Corvette's than you! I pay cash for everything! I'm not just feeling
like looking stupid to the GENERAL PUBLIC! By having my new C-7 in a blizzard!
Another who "just doesn't get it!"

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Heck with winter tires, go directly to chains.
I agree let's turn the STUPIDITY UP A NOTCH!
Oh! Make sure you have the Z51 option for deep drifts!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-15-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I drove my M3 and C63 all year long... both RWD cars. The C63 had similar torque to the Corvette. With good winters, they are "OK" for most days except really bad ones. I, therefore, clearly don't think it is nuts to drive a high powered sports car in winter.

However, I bought a cheap AWD vehicle for the winters now that the C7 is coming (a Kia Sportage). I did this for a couple of reasons... I never really "enjoyed" driving my M3/C63 in the winter because winter tires (even high performance winters) do not perform the same as summers... period. I also didn't like pushing the car too hard in winter because you never really know when there is something on the road (black ice, etc) that you notice just a little too late. One of the main reasons, however, is that I found that driving the car in the winter in slush, ice and dirt, and not really enjoying it the same way as in summer while doing it made me enjoy the car less the following summer. Made it seem less "special" somehow. Obviously, not everyone will agree.

So, I decided I wanted a real winter vehicle that I didn't need to worry about if we get 6 inches of snow while at the office or worry about some idiot not knowing how to drive in poor weather (or having poor tires) slide into me. I want to keep the car as an April through October car... I think it will feel more special and I will really, really appreciate it when it comes out of the garage for the first time!!!

Last edited by gthal; 09-15-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM
kellabyte
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving my C7 in the winter. I live in a climate where it's winter for several months and to be honest I didn't buy this car to not drive it.

I might keep my old car for 2 months where its really bad more frequent but I'll like others try to find winter tire options for the other months.

And then in the summer that top is coming off
Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
QUEEN MOTLEY! YEAH I baby mine all 600 plus rwhp. Getting ready to add a ZR1 along with KEEPING the blown Z!
AND a GTR to the stable. I'll pass on the C-7! Too slow!
Actually I likely put more miles on Corvette's than you! I pay cash for everything! I'm not just feeling
like looking stupid to the GENERAL PUBLIC! By having my new C-7 in a blizzard!
Another who "just doesn't get it!"
More name calling? I'm not 10, and internet twits calling me names doesn't bother me, but if you like that sort of thing Rock'n Blue ***** 08, go right ahead. Sounds like you are the one "not getting it". Please continue to "brag" about how you paid cash for your new cars, it makes me laugh. If you aren't going to buy a C7 then why are you here at all?

Last edited by KingMotley; 09-15-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Locked for now. More to follow.

Not really keeping with the attack ideas, not people and don't make things personal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?