Sponsored by:

GM Over Charging For Interior Packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
It isn't really a fair comparison though. Ferraris are an extremely low production vehicle so there is no huge spread of cars to help drop costs. Pioneer makes an $80,000 speaker that the creator explains if they had enough demand for them they could get them down to $5000. There isn't enough increased demand at a price drop from $80,000 to $5,000 though.

Ferrari buyers are also at a point where cost is of little concern. It is an indulgence and therefore cost is not an issue. I just don't think you can put a Ferrari buyer in the same category as a Corvette buyer. If cost wasn't a factor Corvette wouldn't be as successful as it is. This is why having options is nice. Most are stuff I would prefer to do myself later on.

It is a nice way to "mod" your cars from the factory.
Yeah, I know it isn't a fair comparison. Just an example of how ridiculously expensive 'personalization' options can get.

They can utilize a lot of exotic leathers that you'd never find available from any GM factory at any price.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:36 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yeah, I know it isn't a fair comparison. Just an example of how ridiculously expensive 'personalization' options can get.
Oh yeah totally. Look at how much we spend on mods after we buy them. I think I only have a moderate problem and probably have $30,000 between my cars. I know of plenty of guys with $30-60k in their C5s.

Houses are even worse than cars. Oprah needed a gold toilet

I would also like to think one day when I am rich(I don't know exactly how much that is) I will still be cheap.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The days of individual options, unfortunately, are over. So you have to pay for an entire package to get one feature. If take just the color of door panels alone, and ignore everything else that comes with the package, then, yes, it sounds inflated. It doesn't necessarily make the package overpriced.

You just can't customize a car like you use to. We have to just accept it.

The good news the base price of the car is very reasonable considering all the upgrades they did over the C6, as are some of the options. Yes, I am going to have to cut back on some of the features I had on my previous Corvette to keep the price in line, but, I will be gaining other new C7 features.

It's not all bad. You just have to make a few adjustments, and enjoy the new things.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 09-15-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Michael A
The days of individual options, unfortunately, is over. So you have to pay for an entire package to get one feature. If take just the color of door panels alone, and ignore everything else that comes with the package, then, yes, it sound inflated. It doesn't necessarily make the package overpriced.

The good news the base price of the car is very reasonable considering all the upgrades they did over the C6, as are some of the options. Yes, I am going to have to cut back on some of the features I had on my previous Corvette to keep the price in line, but, I will be gaining other new C7 features.

It's not all bad. You just have to make a few adjustments.

Michael
GM was smart to bundle it that way. The one and only feature I cared about was HUD. When I found out I couldn't get HUD without 2LT I had to open the checkbook.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maybe shopping the Porsche or Ferrari interior options would be helpful.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
RLK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Oh, there you go with facts to ruin a perfectly good rant.
No facts at all I said C5 had color matched interiors on the base models. If color didn't cost extra then why does it now?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
RLK
Instructor

The days of individual options, unfortunately, are over. So you have to pay for an entire package to get one feature. If take just the color of door panels alone, and ignore everything else that comes with the package, then, yes, it sounds inflated. It doesn't necessarily make the package overpriced.

It's not all bad. You just have to make a few adjustments, and enjoy the new things.

Michael
And why would that be? Could it be GM wants to fleece its buyers by making you buy packages. Why should I be forced to buy stuff I don't want? They didn't do it when C5 came out. This is how they make money on this car.

Last edited by RLK; 09-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Packages do several things...for the conspiricy addicts - yes, it does make Chevy more money...So let's get that up front. But it does two more things that are equally as important:

1. it streamlines production - a la carte items make it much harder to build cars as everything going down the line is different. It is far easier to make 100 cars today knowing they are all 2LT than 100 diff combinations. It raises quality too as the workers know what they are doing better.

2. The other is the dealers are demanding it because more of what he customer wants is in stock, or can be found to trade from another dealer. When cars are all different, it's much harder to find that one single car that is at another dealer the exact way you want it.

BMW, MB and all the other luxury brands have gone to packages in the last few years, this is why...
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ
Then go buy a civic
How long did it take you to think up that clever comeback? What does your response have to do with the op's question?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Here's what it cost in 2010 ....

2010 Corvette Coupe $49,880

1LT Base Equipment Group $0

2LT Equipment Group $1,195

3LT Preferred Equipment Group $4,205

4LT Premium Equipment Group $7,705

++++++++++++++++++++++

2014 C7 $51,995.00

1LT $0

2LT $4,010.00

3LT $8,005.00

FWIW, the 2010 3LT is the equivalent of the C7 2LT and the 2010 4LT is equal to the C7 3LT

Last edited by musclecar6; 09-15-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by RLK
And why would that be? Could it be GM wants to fleece its buyers by making you buy packages. Why should I be forced to buy stuff I don't want? They didn't do it when C5 came out. This is how they make money on this car.
It's also how they manage to offer so much car for the money. GM is making smart use of the economies of scale.

You keep bringing up this thing about having to pay extra for an interior with color and we keep pointing out that you're mistaken. Exactly what interior color combo do you want that you'd have to pay extra for?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Oh, there you go with facts to ruin a perfectly good rant.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM
RLK
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's also how they manage to offer so much car for the money. GM is making smart use of the economies of scale.

You keep bringing up this thing about having to pay extra for an interior with color and we keep pointing out that you're mistaken. Exactly what interior color combo do you want that you'd have to pay extra for?
Colored seats with matching color door panels and carpets front and cargo compartment. Not colored seats with ugly black carpet and door panels.
OR, color carpet up front and ugly black carpet in the rear who does this for $60 Grand? No one and Corvette used to be no exception. Thats why I ask since when does color carpet and door vinyl cost eight grand??

Last edited by RLK; 09-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Does anyone know how much i would cost to buy the chrome wheels and the Z51 spoiler from the parts department?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
I am confused on where I said options were a problem? What I said was GM is making profit "to keep them around". I am WELL AWARE you have to make money to stay around. See I pay fees every month so you have a forum you can come to for free.
You were complaining about the options. And prices. Since you are a forum vendor, I would think you would understand. And if you do as you say, then why start this whole thing in the first place? Just to get your name out there?
I think you might be better served to keep your money, and opinions in another forum.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:59 PM
RLK
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Does anyone know how much i would cost to buy the chrome wheels and the Z51 spoiler from the parts department?
Mid America's catalog will be filled with them in the spring for less than GM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:04 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Yes, and no. The days of the factory building a corvette to your specifications are over.

But (BUT) Nothng prevents you from buying the leather insert aftermarket or driving down to the local leather workshop and having them give you what you want.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Over Charging For Interior Packages

Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think 3LT is a bargain. They throw in Nav too.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I think 3LT is a bargain. They throw in Nav too.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Holy crap, talk about much ado about nothing.

Quick Reply: GM Over Charging For Interior Packages