GM Over Charging For Interior Packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
GM was smart to bundle it that way. The one and only feature I cared about was HUD. When I found out I couldn't get HUD without 2LT I had to open the checkbook.

I had to have HUD too! I personally think the packages are overpriced too but they got me!

And to think this whole time I thought GM was a non-profit...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes, the options are costly. In 1998 my C5 base was $37,500, with sport seats, memory, upgraded stero, F55 suspension, and a couple of other items the sticker was $44,750. This was 16 years ago, so to days Corvette seems like a steal. I understand the cost of these items and, yes, GM is trying to make a profit, it would be nice to be an automobile mfg. and not be owned by the government. I understand what you are saying but it is your opinion and not shared by many on this forum, even though it is valid. So, if you don't like what is being said mayhaps you should just ignore, or accept that what you wrote is not what many feel is a good thing. I can't afford to drop $72,000 on what I want but $63,000 still gets me a lot of car, and as you said " they got me for $60,000" so you must have found some option that you liked, and felt was worth the money. Because you know, GM is going to make money on that option also. Enjoy your new Corvette!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Sunrise15
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
As they say, "time passes, things change".
It is true that many years ago car manufacturers in the US allowed you to order options individually, and those options were typically priced on a cost of goods sold plus mark-up type of deal. But as businesses evolve, so do their pricing models.
What they are doing now is bundling options together, which as an earlier poster said makes it cheaper for oem's to build. But they are also charging more for options because they know that most people will not actually buy these items in an after-market setting. So they are charging you more for the convenience of having them installed by them. That has value, they are charging for it. Simple as that, nothing sinister about it.

If you think about it, pricing models are changing all over the place. The airline industry has done it very successfully. They have unbundled all their services, charging separately for each one, making a ton of money doing it ($27B last year, I think). If you go to Best Buy and purchase a TV, you get a great deal on a TV, but they try to get you to buy the extended warranty, which is a huge money maker for them. 15 years ago no one was buying extended warranties on TV's, now it is the chief source of profit for Best Buy. As mentioned by others earlier, Porsche charges a huge amount of money for their options, knowing that the price of the base car gets the buyer in the show room, then they make a bunch of money when the guy adds in the options (but still really wants the car).

This is just an evolution in how businesses try to get money out of you in a very competitive environment. Our tools, as customers, has evolved tremendously as well. Think about this: 15 years ago how much did you know about the price of a car before you walked in to the dealer showroom?? Now, with the web, you likely know what the dealer paid for the car, you know what your trade-in is worth, you know what all the options cost, etc...

time passes, things change. Do your research and go make the best deal you can on the car you want.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Yes, and no. The days of the factory building a corvette to your specifications are over.

But (BUT) Nothng prevents you from buying the leather insert aftermarket or driving down to the local leather workshop and having them give you what you want.
That's true that you can customize with aftermarket pieces, but the quality is often questionable, and you general get $0 back on resale (might even be negative).

I do miss the days when you could order a totally unique car, and could spend lots of time going over options. That was really fun.

On the other hand, I like the fact that you guys buying these expensive packages will be subsiding my base car purchase.

By the way, my 2000 Corvette HUD option was $375. Z51 was $300.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 09-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by WildVettes
If you don't care then you can stop responding
I've always thought that was odd as well. Why do people click on things they don't want to read about? And then if they do click, after they realize they aren't interested in the post, why do they take the time to type a response?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

My theory...GM is overcharging for some of the popular, less expensive options (such as red calipers) so they can offset/lower the price of more expensive options (such as the exposed CF roof) that may otherwise cost buyers double. How many guys would spring for a $4K exposed CF roof? Additionally, I'm sure GM wants some CF roofs out there so it shows off the C7's high-end potential (good for competition with the Euro cars).
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
I've always thought that was odd as well. Why do people click on things they don't want to read about? And then if they do click, after they realize they aren't interested in the post, why do they take the time to type a response?
Maybe their spouse ( either gender please) has given them a hard time. Maybe it is their boss or job that is upsetting them. The only advantage to responding to a post they really do not care about, is to stir things up and give someone else grief for a change. I have been guilty of stirring the pot.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I appreciate the economies of scale with the packages. That said, Porsche, very successfully, makes it work and, between all the 911 variants/Boxster/Cayman, they produce a bunch of cars. Maybe the packages do force most into buying, in my case, GM lost money as I ordered 1LT. If the option list was also available "a la carte", they would have gotten more money out of me.

As always, YMMV.

Jimmy

PS. Please don't take the above as bitching, it is not. In a perfect world (which it's not), I would like a few things in 2LT, I just don't want all the stuff so I am willing to do without. Every car maker makes these decisions armed with way more knowledge than I have. So, as I hold up Porsche as an example, you also have to look at the other side....HID headlights are an OPTION (part of a $2,000+ PACKAGE!!!) on a Boxster, standard on a C7 (and the C6 as well).

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-16-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I appreciate the economies of scale with the packages. That said, Porsche, very successfully, makes it work and, between all the 911 variants/Boxster/Cayman, they produce a bunch of cars. Maybe the packages do force most into buying, in my case, GM lost money as I ordered 1LT. If the option list was also available "a la carte", they would have gotten more money out of me.

As always, YMMV.

Jimmy
Don't worry, GM Made it up and then some on us suckers that bought the 2LT! If they offered it a la carte they would have overall loss more because people like me would have just purchased HUD and Heated / vent seats. I could care less about everything else in there.

So instead of getting maybe $1000 from me for the two they got $4200 from me.

Quick Reply: GM Over Charging For Interior Packages