Sponsored by:

Winter rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Seriously, as a few others have stated, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs work well in reasonable amounts of snow, 3" or so in my case. More than that I will take another vehicle.

They also hook up in colder temps much better than the summer high-performance tires can ever do. You still have to respect the power and rear-wheel drive aspect of the car though.

Do you have any issues with the chains clipping the bodywork?

OP: Wheel fitment is going to be largely determined by clearing the front brakes. Maybe C6Z/ GS front wheels all around will do the job?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by hklvette
Do you have any issues with the chains clipping the bodywork?

OP: Wheel fitment is going to be largely determined by clearing the front brakes. Maybe C6Z/ GS front wheels all around will do the job?
I'm sorry. The pic was meant to be funny. It is PSed, and I would NEVER use chains (although I used chains and studs in the 60s and 70s.)

As stated, I do have a second set of wheels with the Michelin A/S tires I mount in Oct and use until spring. They are fine in the cold and some snow in the Chicago area.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Seriously, as a few others have stated, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs work well in reasonable amounts of snow, 3" or so in my case. More than that I will take another vehicle.

They also hook up in colder temps much better than the summer high-performance tires can ever do. You still have to respect the power and rear-wheel drive aspect of the car though.
Interesting. My experience with the same tires (I got them last fall) is not as good. I live at the apex of a cul de sac that becomes snow-over-ice-packed for a few weeks of the year. The city doesn't clear minor residential streets. I tried to get out this past winter and got stuck right in front of my driveway. The tires had zero grip. I had to throw a bunch of ice melt under and in front of the car and wait for it to do it's thing. It was a little frustrating and embarrassing.

Another time, though, I got caught in a snowstorm that popped up out of nowhere in the mountains. The tires did OK going through the snow on the road without any ice under it.

They are fantastic in cold temps as you mentioned, as well as in heavy rain.

For the C7, I think I'm going to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. Probably run those from October to May.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by -CM-
Interesting. My experience with the same tires (I got them last fall) is not as good. I live at the apex of a cul de sac that becomes snow-over-ice-packed for a few weeks of the year. The city doesn't clear minor residential streets. I tried to get out this past winter and got stuck right in front of my driveway. The tires had zero grip. I had to throw a bunch of ice melt under and in front of the car and wait for it to do it's thing. It was a little frustrating and embarrassing.

Another time, though, I got caught in a snowstorm that popped up out of nowhere in the mountains. The tires did OK going through the snow on the road without any ice under it.

They are fantastic in cold temps as you mentioned, as well as in heavy rain.

For the C7, I think I'm going to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. Probably run those from October to May.
Ah, you mentioned the no-no word: ICE.

Our town does a tremendous job of clearing our streets, but the same does not apply to every surface street in the area. If there is ice on the surface, I go nowhere in ANY of my cars. Actually, if there is 3 - 4" of snow on the ground or expected, I try to stay home (I'm retired and usually have that option).

If I must go, another car is used. It's great to know I can get home in the Corvette if I happen to get caught somewhere when some snow hits.

I'm glad you drive your car!

Quick Reply: Winter rims/tires