Comparison: Stingray vs. 911 vs. Ferrari F12

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Why did the tool drive the corvette and Probst showed what the other two could do? Very obvious he was going a lot slower than the pro. It is also obvious that stiffer stabilizer bars and better rubber will help the car a lot on the track.
the manufacturers put parameters on who drives the cars they test. i can tell you if I'm Ferrari or Porsche that dude didn't make the drivers list. GM though... sure, why not. It's not like the Stingray is a 200,000 dollar masterpiece. it's a 50,000 dollar masterpiece.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Something's still fishy about this f12 though. It just doesn't add up that the 599gtb is nearly its match. The 300-400lbs over the 599, where did it appear from?!? Isn't the AWD 4 seat FF 4200lbs? Isn't the aventador 3900lbs? How could Ferrari release such an underachieving car go from development to production? No one stopped and said wait a minute...?
Because they know their customers generally won't care what it does on a track. The 575M, for example, was blasted for its track manners in UK press tests. Did that bother customers? Not the ones who had already deposited their money and don't care for mag tests. Once those customers are satisfied, the HGTE-type packs are available for those who want a more sporting character.
Also, I mentioned in the other thread that the 599 never weighed 300-400 lbs less than the F12. The weights of 599s tested full of fluids (not dry like Ferrari claims) and typical options have been in the 3900 lb region.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 4 Posts

What a silly standard neglecting price in the comparison. Conclusion neglects the #1 consideration and is consistent with kids spending other people's money. Or a better analogy - me with a six inch ***** standing next to someone's twice-as-long foot long and claiming the motion of my ocean is better so I win... when everyone not delusional knows that's not true.

For the price of that 911 I can buy two (2) fully optioned Stingrays. AND be better than the Porsche in acceleration, braking, and track time. Additional marginal "confidence" does not make up that $75K gap. For the price of that Ferrari I can have one Stingray of each color for every day of the week.

Last edited by Ching Ho; 09-25-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Gentlemen. I was there for this test. I talked to Jonny for a half hour on the 911 vs C7. He told me this was going to be very very close. So close in fact that it will be a personal preference call. When I posted the 911 vs C7 thread a while back I couldn't talk about it much as I told Jonny I wouldn't give out the results. That thread went ballistic with anticipation of this test. One thing that happened that they didn't report was a second run around the track by the engineers from Corvette that matched the F12 time. After the Motor Trend guys finished up and also Pobst, the Corvette engineers reset the computer handling parameters and went out and reset a time which was faster and also matched the Ferrari time. The engineers called out to see if they wanted to accept that time and the MT guys said no. They had already done their lap timing and that the new time by Corvette would not be used. That's probably fair since Porsche and Ferrari did not have their testing engineers there to extract a better time. Overall a great result for Corvette. Jonny didn't give out his final results to me but I think he was having a real time of it making a decision on this. All of the MT guys were there and I'm sure it was a consensus of all, but could be nothing more than 911 fanboys vs Corvette fanboys in the group. I know Angus is a Porsche guy. I forgot to mention that the Corvette was a pre-production car without the the latest handling parameters. The Corvette engineers indicated that and then changed it to their latest settings. Hence, the faster lap time!!!
Thanks for the followup. It's amazing that the C7 was able to come within .2 of the Ferrari and was .7 quicker than the Porsche around the track. Even more impressive when you can see the advancements made in the suspension software. It's to bad they didn't allow it to be used, but it's understandable. Run the car as it was given to you. I'm wondering if the software the C7 was using contributed to their preference of the Sport setting over the Track setting. That seems contrary to what we've been seeing in other articles.

Not really surprised that the 911 was able to eek out a victory due to its subjective merits. The fact that the Corvette is so very close even in those categories is quite a feat. Those folks that are willing to cross shop will have a much tougher time choosing than ever before. With it that close, the better performance numbers of the Corvette may be enough to sway them.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
the manufacturers put parameters on who drives the cars they test. i can tell you if I'm Ferrari or Porsche that dude didn't make the drivers list. GM though... sure, why not. It's not like the Stingray is a 200,000 dollar masterpiece. it's a 50,000 dollar masterpiece.
Not true. Carlos drove the Ferrari and Porsche in other videos.

You guys are looking wayyyyyyyy too hard into this. Both people drove all the cars and then they talk about them in the car during the video. They just showed a different driver between the first and last just to mix it up, so not to have the same guy driving all the time.

The lap times were done by the Randy, the racing driver.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
That Corvette delivers 99% of the Porsche for half the price is a testament to GM and the engineering team. For us working stiffs for whom there is no other option, we need to give thanks.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ching Ho
For the price of that Ferrari I can have one Stingray of each color for every day of the week.
You could, but would any of those Stingrays replicate the experience of driving the Ferrari? It's true that you could have 20 McDonald's Happy Meals for the price of a $50 steak dinner at a nice restaurant with a view of the city. But the experience is not the same.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
CorvetteFerrariFTW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, since I heard about this test last month in a thread, I was anticipating it. And based on that thread, it sure sounded like the C7 would finally a win a comparison, and not because it costs less.

(The OP in that thread also stated the V12 car, the Ferrari, wouldn't be directly tested against the 911 and Corvette. Well, maybe MT didn't test all three the same day or or at the same time, but they did compare all three.)

I have to say, I am crushed, though. I really thought that, this time, finally, the Corvette would edge out the 911. I wish I can be at the test track or on these back roads and ask them if they pick these cars based on their bias for Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lambos, Vipers, or any other car or manufacturer. It's just so hard for me to believe that a car the Corvette team benched against still beat it, straight-up. What exactly is the reason why they feel the 911 inspires immediate confidence and continues throughout the track run, yet the Corvette takes a little time to build up to it?

I just don't get it. I have a feeling if this Corvette was in their last driver's car series, it would've landed 4th, behind the SLS AMG Black Series and Audi V8 10 Plus.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
You could, but would any of those Stingrays replicate the experience of driving the Ferrari? It's true that you could have 20 McDonald's Happy Meals for the price of a $50 steak dinner at a nice restaurant with a view of the city. But the experience is not the same.
Seems to me they were articulating that the driving experience was pretty similar. The mystique of a $400,000 Ferrari can't be overcome but the actual driving experience seemed to be as good in the C7... hence why the F12 was third.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Guibo, you can't compare 20 McDonald's versus steak dinner - that's a luxury affordable to anyone. At considerations of $75K versus $150K... that's more than the annual income of 90% of the American population.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Regardless of the outcome, that Ferrari was damn sexy. I wonder how a Torch Red C7 with Kalahari interior and yellow calipers would look? Can you say . . . . wait for it . . . Cherrari?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW
I gotta say, since I heard about this test last month in a thread, I was anticipating it. And based on that thread, it sure sounded like the C7 would finally a win a comparison, and not because it costs less.

(The OP in that thread also stated the V12 car, the Ferrari, wouldn't be directly tested against the 911 and Corvette. Well, maybe MT didn't test all three the same day or or at the same time, but they did compare all three.)

I have to say, I am crushed, though. I really thought that, this time, finally, the Corvette would edge out the 911. I wish I can be at the test track or on these back roads and ask them if they pick these cars based on their bias for Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lambos, Vipers, or any other car or manufacturer. It's just so hard for me to believe that a car the Corvette team benched against still beat it, straight-up. What exactly is the reason why they feel the 911 inspires immediate confidence and continues throughout the track run, yet the Corvette takes a little time to build up to it?

I just don't get it. I have a feeling if this Corvette was in their last driver's car series, it would've landed 4th, behind the SLS AMG Black Series and Audi V8 10 Plus.
I think this is a overreaction. If you listen to their words, the cars were incredibly close. The C6 would not have been as incredibly close. That is the win. When the cars are so close, another magazine, say C&D, could easily have gone the other way.

Put another way... think of the company the car is being compared with and the comments that were made... HUGELY positive IMO because the final "win" was subjective and very close.
Ching Ho
Instructor

Originally Posted by Philr56
Regardless of the outcome, that Ferrari was damn sexy. I wonder how a Torch Red C7 with Kalahari interior and yellow calipers would look? Can you say . . . . wait for it . . . Cherrari?
Hm, I would argue that if you removed the badge, made them both red, and rounded up 100 women - they couldn't tell the difference. An interesting Youtube experiment = P
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gthal
Seems to me they were articulating that the driving experience was pretty similar. The mystique of a $400,000 Ferrari can't be overcome but the actual driving experience seemed to be as good in the C7... hence why the F12 was third.
Similar, yes. On a racetrack. Audibly, one can tell the soundtrack and snaps of the gearchange were something else. Pobst and the MT editor were giddy just listening to it, and for those who can afford it, the track manners of the Corvette is not likely to be a consideration. Nor is the Porsche's superior manners likely to sway someone who has a deposit on an F12.
I think their comments about the F12 have merit and have been echoed elsewhere: Not enough chassis/tire for that level of power.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Guibo, you can't compare 20 McDonald's versus steak dinner - that's a luxury affordable to anyone. At considerations of $75K versus $150K... that's more than the annual income of 90% of the American population.
You mean a $50 steak dinner is a luxury affordable to anyone? Tell that to the homeless folks in this country, or those who have been laid off and working multiple part-time jobs just to make ends meet.
A $70k Corvette is already beyond the means of much of the American population (whose average income is closer to the $50k mark). We are just debating one luxury item over another. But my point still stands: Yes, you can buy all of those Stingrays, but none of them give you the same experience. Yes, the Corvette has its own qualities too. But a person who can afford both isn't likely to make it an either/or proposition.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

You mean a $50 steak dinner is a luxury affordable to anyone? Tell that to the homeless folks in this country, or those who have been laid off and working multiple part-time jobs just to make ends meet.
A $70k Corvette is already beyond the means of much of the American population (whose average income is closer to the $50k mark). We are just debating one luxury item over another. But my point still stands: Yes, you can buy all of those Stingrays, but none of them give you the same experience. Yes, the Corvette has its own qualities too. But a person who can afford both isn't likely to make it an either/or proposition.
I can afford all three and I am making it an either/or proposition. The other two cars, in the presence of the Stingray, make no financial sense.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video

Thanks for posting

Good to see the new c7 is so capable nearly lapping as quickly as the Ferrari F12 which is stunning and is faster than the cool Porsche 911s....

Get notified of new replies

To Comparison: Stingray vs. 911 vs. Ferrari F12

Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW
What exactly is the reason why they feel the 911 inspires immediate confidence and continues throughout the track run, yet the Corvette takes a little time to build up to it?
Perhaps the 911's steel structure is more rigid. It is narrower and the sightline out the front gives a better view of the road, so that could give better awareness of actual speed and placement options within the track width.
Finishing 4th behind those cars would not be a bad result by any means. That's better than the GT-R, Cayman, M6 (BMW's marketplace competitor to the 911), Aston Vanquish, and 8 spots in front of the Viper.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Hm, I would argue that if you removed the badge, made them both red, and rounded up 100 women - they couldn't tell the difference. An interesting Youtube experiment = P
Would love to be in the "test group."
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

I can afford all three and I am making it an either/or proposition. The other two cars, in the presence of the Stingray, make no financial sense.
Yes, but you're not the only one. That's why $50 steak dinners and Ferraris continue to exist.
Financial sense? None of these cars makes any financial sense. You're losing money on all of them. But do luxury sports cars have to make financial sense? What about emotional sense? I have yet to find anyone here who would pay $70k for a car that looks like a Kia hatchback (and not a Corvette) and sounds like a Prius (rather than a roaring V8), even if it was much faster than the Vette.

Here's one part where the F12 could make financial sense: If you're fortunate to get an F12 at MSRP, that could get you a prime spot on the list for Ferrari's ultra-limited exotics. If I'm not mistaken, the Enzo still sells for far above its original MSRP, and that's for a used car, someone's sloppy seconds. See? Value is relative.

Quick Reply: Comparison: Stingray vs. 911 vs. Ferrari F12