Well... he IS thedoofus
Actually, he is the DOfuss
Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I love the double standard here: If a dealer adds an additional markup on a C7, he's branded as a "thief/jerk/etc" and the natives storm the fort.

But if a private owner does it, then he's just taking advantage of "supply and demand" and it's OK. Gotta love consistency.

Wow.

Jimmy
Great point. This give me the opportunity to bring up something that I find a foolish for lack of better word. All you guys on here who rave about how great these forum dealers are who can get you a new c7 at msrp and what great guys they are, great relationships you have, and so on. You call a guy who makes 5-7k off a new car purchase from you is your friend? You paid for his friendship. As the song goes, "I've got plenty of friends as long as I'm buying". They are capitalizing on your desire to have one of these rationed toys. Think about how much money these guys are making off 500-1000 c7 sales this year? These guys are no better than drug dealers in my opinion. They have this wad of allocations and will let you have one for $5-7K. These are the same guys who sell most cars at invoice every day and still make good money. The last two cars I purchase were $500 and $900 below invoice. I'd be ok with maybe $1-2K over invoice, but at msrp they are not any friend of mine. Go right ahead and come to their defense. I swear some of you guy are paid by these dealers to promote them.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
Great point. This give me the opportunity to bring up something that I find a foolish for lack of better word. All you guys on here who rave about how great these forum dealers are who can get you a new c7 at msrp and what great guys they are, great relationships you have, and so on. You call a guy who makes 5-7k off a new car purchase from you is your friend? You paid for his friendship. As the song goes, "I've got plenty of friends as long as I'm buying". They are capitalizing on your desire to have one of these rationed toys. Think about how much money these guys are making off 500-1000 c7 sales this year? These guys are no better than drug dealers in my opinion. They have this wad of allocations and will let you have one for $5-7K. These are the same guys who sell most cars at invoice every day and still make good money. The last two cars I purchase were $500 and $900 below invoice. I'd be ok with maybe $1-2K over invoice, but at msrp they are not any friend of mine. Go right ahead and come to their defense. I swear some of you guy are paid by these dealers to promote them.

No better than drug dealers????

That's silly. These guys have allocation because they EARNED them by selling a LOT of Corvettes in the lean years (2009 - 2013) at SUBSTANTIAL discounts. While I agree that this buddy/hero thing about a car salesman is a little much, you seem to forget that there's NOT a new Corvette generation every year. These guys will have to SELL these cars (with DISCOUNTS) starting next year, not just take orders.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
No better than drug dealers????

That's silly. These guys have allocation because they EARNED them by selling a LOT of Corvettes in the lean years (2009 - 2013) at SUBSTANTIAL discounts. While I agree that this buddy/hero thing about a car salesman is a little much, you seem to forget that there's NOT a new Corvette generation every year. These guys will have to SELL these cars (with DISCOUNTS) starting next year, not just take orders.

Jimmy
You're right. I should have said "like drug dealers" instead of "no better than". My bad.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
Can you please elaborate how these people are like drug dealers? You think individuals are selling 500-1000 corvettes a year, making 2,500,000 to 7,000,000 a year on corvettes alone?

I don't know if you've ever worked a job that has clients you work with on a regular basis in a close environment, but you can create friendships out of them, even though they are paying you for a service. I didn't know my roommates before I moved into my current house. I pay my roommate, who owns the house money for rent and I consider him a friend. I do personal training and one of my clients who I have worked with for over two years consider me his friend, and I consider them my friends.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mattkilla2015
Can you please elaborate how these people are like drug dealers? You think individuals are selling 500-1000 corvettes a year, making 2,500,000 to 7,000,000 a year on corvettes alone?

I don't know if you've ever worked a job that has clients you work with on a regular basis in a close environment, but you can create friendships out of them, even though they are paying you for a service. I didn't know my roommates before I moved into my current house. I pay my roommate, who owns the house money for rent and I consider him a friend. I do personal training and one of my clients who I have worked with for over two years consider me his friend, and I consider them my friends.
It's about having something that someone has to have and taking advantage of that. Don't get hung up on the drug dealer aspect. I didn't say making money off friends is bad. I'm a contractor and most of my work is for friends. The difference is I charge them a fair price or less, not retail or in this case mrsp. Dealers will sell a typical car at invoice or less to one guy, but the guy / friend wants a c7, it's retail or msrp baby. Not a guy a call a friend.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Not for me! A dealer tried to gouge me for MSRP +$4000 and I took a walk. Won't play that game, especially on ebay!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:22 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I wonder how those prices are playing out now?

Is the demand dropping yet?

My guess is it has. I have been a Corvette guy for almost 15 years....But in my opinion GM just got there *** handed to them by Chrysler with the Hellcat.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by sam90lx
And double digit unemployment in some cities and the Government is about to shut down and.....shall I go on?

Did I wander into PR&C?!

Originally Posted by LAvetteman
I wonder how those prices are playing out now?

Is the demand dropping yet?

My guess is it has. I have been a Corvette guy for almost 15 years....But in my opinion GM just got there *** handed to them by Chrysler with the Hellcat.
LOL I haven't seen demand drop, and I certainly don't want a Hellcat. No comparison at all to the looks of the Vette, IMO, plus I find the name offensive.

Quick Reply: Let the price gouging begin (on Ebay)