C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the Stingray and Viper on track -- Viper had a great view...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love both models, the Viper and Vette, but I realistically won't be able to afford a Viper any time soon...
Would love to have both some day though.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
So Wayne you can cut some slack to what was then the all new ZR1 in 2009 yet not cut any to a non production Viper, sounds like you do not think fairly! And in fact when Randy ran the TA he was gaga over it and from what I remember stated that if it had CCB's and cup tires it would be even better! And btw, do youreally think I care what Randy is a fan of? LMAO...comical!

The Viper may not be making in it sales but I'd take one over a ZR1 everyday of the week, as a matter of fact I might just buy and post some pics for ya!
I wish you would buy one...then you could go over to the Viper forum and...oh, wait, there aren't enough new Viper owners to HAVE a forum!

And if you don't care what Randy says, quit trying to post his 4 yr old review to bolster a weak-a** position..

This is, after all the CORVETTE forum...feel free to visit the other parts of the forum that do not relate to Corvette...because basically 99.9% of us don't give a rat's a** about a Viper...

Have a nice day
Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So just a quick question Mike, you're saying the 460hp C7 will stay ahead of the 640hp Viper on the track?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is an utterly false statement! Your applauding of the C7 is fine, but making false statements devalues your commentary.

Any track, any day the Viper would waste the C7, based on your self proclaimed history of driving "most high end cars" you would know this. And this is not a slight against the C7, it should lose to the Viper and it would.

Dan,

The post was tongue in cheek as this was a media event, I really thought that was obvious. You jumped up too quickly showing your biasness. Despite driving the cars aggressively, I posted no lap times nor who was driving each of the cars. Hardly a realistic comparison.

For the sake of a civil conversation I'm happy to address your comments regardless.

Firstly, a higher HP car is NOT always faster on the track. If you really believe this then you don't understand all the variable that go into lowering lap times. A track like Road America or VIR will certainly favor the higher HP car, but not at a track like Autobahn (4th largest full track in the US) because it has shorter straight-a-ways and HP will not help you in the handling department. The ACR is a different story, neat car.

Here's a clip of my C6R so you understand driving a 640 HP Viper actually feels quite slow to me, as does a ZR1 as well.

In my C6R I see about 150mph at Autobahn on the straights ( A Viper will only see 128mph) whereas Road America I see 180mph+.

As far as myself, not your fault, you don't know me, despite many here that do, or what I've driven so I applaud you for questioning it.

I've spent plenty of time in different Vipers on track. Here's my summation: They are aggressive cool looking cars and I like them, I really do -- they are not fun to drive on track at the limit, period. We have 400 members at the club and many own Vipers, they do not track them and for good reason, they are not confident inspiring and too many have found the Armco. They're great for getting ice cream on a Friday night or going to a drag strip.

Any track, any day the Viper would waste the C7
As you clearly state later on, you have considerable seat time in the Viper. You're welcome as my guest to come to Autobahn to drive against a new Stingray. I'll even pop for dinner afterwards!

You drive your Viper to a faster lap time than the new Stingray here and I'll cover your travel expenses. You lose and we affix a racing window visor decal stating "I lost to a Corvette on track" which you proudly present for photo ops.

Mike

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

I have no doubt the same applies to the car world. The less power one has, the easier it is to push that car to the limit. And of course the opposite would also be true, the more power one has the harder it is to push that car to its limit. So while the Viper may have 180 more HP than the Stingray.. that doesn't mean the average driver off the street can just hop into a 2013 Viper and suddenly drive it faster around any given racetrack. What it does mean is that the Viper will be much more to handle on a racetrack and ANY driver, of ANY experience level, is more likely to wreck the Viper on a racetrack.
This is exactly why when our club first opened there were many Vipers brought out, until all the Corvettes, BMWs, Porches were proven to be better performance cars. Performance meaning stopping distance, threshold braking, handling, car feedback, nit just stepping on the go pedal.

Originally Posted by jschindler
I have no doubt that by an expert race driver the Viper would be faster. ...the car that is easier to drive and more forgiving will outrun other novices in a car that may be faster but is not as easy to drive or forgiving.
J, you get it!

If we take human error out of the equation, quite possibly. But we live in a world of humans and we make errors, heck I make too many every day -- like posting here.

With all the new technology evolving we have autonomous cars that have been programmed to drive on track and soon faster than humans. We are not robots; therefore it's critical to have a piece of machinery that we can handle, the easier it is to handle, the easier it is to go faster.

JSCHINDLER thanks for your intelligent and sensible post. I totally appreciate and agree with where you are coming from, the one place I'd counter you is that the Viper is really not as bad now as it once was and frankly the older cars earned a rep that was slightly exaggerated.
Absolutely the Viper is better since Gen 1, in fact world's better. It's still not up to par in terms of driver friendliness as other factory sports cars have to offer today. It doesn't make it a bad car or not enjoyable, but extracting the most from it is nearly impossible.

If you ever get a chance to drive the new Stingray on track, you will see for yourself there's a lot more to a car than a dyno pull. Until you've had that opportunity any comparisons you make are baseless.

Mike
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by flaagan
OK, that's just cool. The more tech and features people keep mentioning on here, the more I want to make "a C7 in my garage" happen.

Yes, I can't count how many times driving my sport cars over the years in colder weather watching the temp gauges for permission to apply the throttle harder, now it's maximized in real time, really incredible.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Dan,

The post was tongue in cheek as this was a media event, I really thought that was obvious. You jumped up too quickly showing your biasness.

You drive your Viper to a faster lap time than the new Stingray here and I'll cover your travel expenses. You lose and we affix a racing window visor decal stating "I lost to a Corvette on track" which you proudly present for photo ops.

If you ever get a chance to drive the new Stingray on track, you will see for yourself there's a lot more to a car than a dyno pull. Until you've had that opportunity any comparisons you make are baseless.

Mike
Nailed it!!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

You can always tell those that have never been on a racetrack, because they think the car's motor are what make it go fast around the track. Lol

I really enjoyed destroying Z 06's and GT3's in my 280 horsepower Hyundai last year. Good fun!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I've posted this before, go directly to 2:45 and tell me what Randy says about control and ability.

ZR1 Laps Laguna Seca! - 2009 Best Driver's Car Competition - YouTube

GOOD GOD DAN! GIVE IT A REST! YOU POSTED THIS 100 TIMES, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT??
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nature of ALL car forums, if your on a corvette site, the vette is the best car in the world. Porsche site, porsche is the best car in the world. Mustang site, mustangs are the best in the world....... even the Honda guys think their **** is the best,....... yada yada yada

Very few owners have a large stable and have driven them all, and give a honest opinion.

I drove the Viper before i bought my Z06, it was faster. But harder to drive and bit uncomfortable, (low windsheild header, and hot feet, were my biggest turn offs)

The Viper is a brute, to each his own.

Can;t wait to get some wheel time in the C7!!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:52 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

The 2013 Viper will win but it will not "WASTE" the C7.
Just look at the test against the Ferrari where the C7 lost by 1 second.
I like both cars and SRT has done a great job with the new Viper, but GM (Chevrolet) has done a terrific job with the new C7, specially when we are talking about the base car with the Z51/MRC/NPP options.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
You can always tell those that have never been on a racetrack, because they think the car's motor are what make it go fast around the track. Lol

I really enjoyed destroying Z 06's and GT3's in my 280 horsepower Hyundai last year. Good fun!
Absolutely, my spec Miata race car in a slow race corner can go through faster than a Vette or Viper.

The Stingray is a car that wont make you feel fearful or tentative, that has a lot to do with going fast.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike thanks for responding, I did not get the meaning yet will respond to you later when the kids go to bed. Your R sounds sweet btw.

Oh and btw the ACR is sold but if you can get a memeber to trust me I'll take that bet. lol
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Lower hp cars (that weigh about the same) tend to be easier to drive, you don't need as much throttle management like a 640hp car. Though it has been said the zr1 inspire more comfidence than the viper at the same ho level. That said, I'm sure the c7 inspire more confidence than the zr1 because it lacks 200 hp and tq.
Want a better comparo use a new gt3 and a c7z51... weight and power are on par to one another.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

^ You must have been racing on a track with very short straight sections and lots of low speed corners . . . or on a video game
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM
MYTTZ06
Advanced

I like my Z06 more than My GTS viper. My GF is of the opposite opinion. She comes a sport bike world also. With the Viper going from a mid $80k car to $140k, with the dealer markups, no doubt it's priced some buyers out. Viper owners almost always degrade Corvettes, but Ford GT owners almost always degrade Vipers, and so forth as one moves up to "higher" exclusivity. Egos, egos. anyways, for more of an "exotic" or rareness factor, the Viper gets the nod, but for everyday livability and all around performance (even though I'm like 95% of most non racer drivers), I'd be more inclined to buy a ZR1.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
A musical analogy:

The 2014 Stingray:

The 2014 Viper:

The 2014 Stingray:

The 2014 Viper:

Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ You must have been racing on a track with very short straight sections and lots of low speed corners . . . or on a video game
Or he crashed straight into them @ car show? Hey..it happens!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
The 2014 Stingray:

The 2014 Viper:

Agree...shes ugly. And fat.

Get notified of new replies

To Drove the Stingray and Viper on track -- Viper had a great view...

Old 10-05-2013, 01:07 PM
VLE-OPD
Intermediate

Default Corvette vs Viper

So just a quick question Mike, you're saying the 460hp C7 will stay ahead of the 640hp Viper on the track?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is an utterly false statement! Your applauding of the C7 is fine, but making false statements devalues your commentary.

Any track, any day the Viper would waste the C7, based on your self proclaimed history of driving "most high end cars" you would know this. And this is not a slight against the C7, it should lose to the Viper and it would.
Well Dan there is one more challenge that could be thrown in here. We could have Andy Pilgrim show up and drive Mike's T1 Corvette. You ain't going to like it, but you will be following Andy. No worries though because he will be out of sight in a short period of time.

Last edited by VLE-OPD; 10-05-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it VLE-OPD. I'll get Tommy Kendall to drive the snake. LOL
Old 10-05-2013, 01:24 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy to say that I know Mike (Short-Throw) and can vouch for him and his opinions/conclusions. He's a straight up cool guy and has the integrity and the means to backup his offer. There's no one else on this forum I would trust more.

Quick Reply: Drove the Stingray and Viper on track -- Viper had a great view...