C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightness on gauge cluster screen adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 PM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Brightness on gauge cluster screen adjustable?

Can you increase or decrease the brightness on the gauge cluster high def screen?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM
bmxbaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.

From the manual:

"(Image Brightness): Lift up and hold (the brightness button) to brighten the display. Press down and hold to dim the display. Hold down to turn the display off."
Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 925 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

but reported to be not enuf.....
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by bmxbaddy
Yes.

From the manual:

"(Image Brightness): Lift up and hold (the brightness button) to brighten the display. Press down and hold to dim the display. Hold down to turn the display off."
I believe you are referring to the HUD brightness switch.

Yes, the center cluster dims using the same **** that controls the console screen and other gauges.

I'm not sure who "reported" it to not be "enuf", but I've driven my car in various stages of day and night and the screen brightness is fine IMO.
S.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 925 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

read some of the reviews here, more than two have reported it at dusk it does not go bright enuf...and CAC has noted they have passed it on to the engineers...1st time here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...m-the-ncm.html

and here with chevy commenting:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...post1585100329

Last edited by Glen e; 10-05-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
read some of the reviews here, more than two have reported it at dusk it does not go bright enuf...and CAC has noted they have passed it on to the engineers...
I don't need to read the reviews. I can just drive my car, which I already stated. I had the car out this evening around dusk before putting in into the garage and didn't notice any issues with the cluster screen with regard to brightness. It is perhaps related to specific cluster formats.
S.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 PM
C7MSRP
Intermediate

Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I don't need to read the reviews. I can just drive my car, which I already stated. I had the car out this evening around dusk before putting in into the garage and didn't notice any issues with the cluster screen with regard to brightness. It is perhaps related to specific cluster formats.
S.
Anyone noticed problems seeing displays with polorized glasses?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Bat7Man
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeG37
My friend has a BMW with HUD that you cannot see with polarized lenses. I have a few pairs of polarized Oakleys and have not had a problem.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

That's actually a really good question. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.
S.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I have prescription sunglasses I wear while driving, and my HUD is all but invisible in my C5 with them on.. unless I tilt my head just right

I assume the HUD is probably the same, I'm more curious about the instrument and infotainment screens.

Last edited by MikeG37; 10-06-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 AM
IAmCole
Advanced

It's going to depend on the lenses. If you don't care why, skip the rest of this.

Here's a quick over simplified lesson on what polarized lenses do and why they can black out screens. First of all light: for this explanation think of each individual light particle as having some magnitude and direction (a vector if you remember your college math courses). So, some look like this: | some like this _ and some like this / or this \. And all angles in between. Polarized lenses filter out all the light that isn't aligned to a particular direction. We'll assume horizontal for this. So, a particle that looks like _ will make it through without being diminished at all. The / particles are both horizontal and vertical, but the lens filters out the vertical part so it ends up with -. Since it's smaller its not quite so bright. The | particles have no horizontal part, only vertical, so they get filtered out completely.

In natural lighting, light is a mix of all the directions, so filtering out the vertical part is ok. With certain displays, the light emitted is all one direction (this is called polarized). So when your screen emits light that looks like this coming to your eyes ||||||||||||| and you're lenses only let horizontally polarized light through, you see a great void of sad and empty blackness, just like your ex-wife's heart. But there's some magic here in that if you're seeing all black and then you tilt your head, now your lenses are filtering out only vertical light, which is exactly what the display is emitting, so you can see it!

This is why I say it depends on the lenses. From my experience, different pairs of polarized sunglasses tend to be aligned to different polarities and had different effects with different screens. But you should always be able to lean your head one way or the other and change the effect.

Last fun fact/tip. If you're wondering if a lens is polarized, you can overlay it with another lens that you know to be polarized and look through them. Spin one of the lenses and if they are both polarized, you will see the light fluctuate from almost as bright as with just using one lens to going completely black where no light is getting through. If it doesn't do this, than one or both lenses are NOT polarized. This is because as you turn a polarized lens, it goes from filtering out horizontal to filtering out vertical. The one that is stationary is always filtering out just one of them, lets say vertical. So when both lenses are filtering out vertical, they're both trying to do the same work and no extra filtering is done. But when they are opposite, then all of the horizontal light that gets passed by the first lens gets filtered by the second lens, and no light is allowed to pass through.

Apologies for the long explanation. And please excuse any incompleteness/incorrectness in all of that. I was trying to simplify and summarize information I learned quite a few years ago. Yay Science!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 AM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Awsome thank you for the explanation. I just bought a $300 pair of Costas, and that would stink to not be able to use with the HUD. Hope it works.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
JOHNGFLYER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAmCole
It's going to depend on the lenses. If you don't care why, skip the rest of this.

Here's a quick over simplified lesson on what polarized lenses do and why they can black out screens. First of all light: for this explanation think of each individual light particle as having some magnitude and direction (a vector if you remember your college math courses). So, some look like this: | some like this _ and some like this / or this \. And all angles in between. Polarized lenses filter out all the light that isn't aligned to a particular direction. We'll assume horizontal for this. So, a particle that looks like _ will make it through without being diminished at all. The / particles are both horizontal and vertical, but the lens filters out the vertical part so it ends up with -. Since it's smaller its not quite so bright. The | particles have no horizontal part, only vertical, so they get filtered out completely.

In natural lighting, light is a mix of all the directions, so filtering out the vertical part is ok. With certain displays, the light emitted is all one direction (this is called polarized). So when your screen emits light that looks like this coming to your eyes ||||||||||||| and you're lenses only let horizontally polarized light through, you see a great void of sad and empty blackness, just like your ex-wife's heart. But there's some magic here in that if you're seeing all black and then you tilt your head, now your lenses are filtering out only vertical light, which is exactly what the display is emitting, so you can see it!

This is why I say it depends on the lenses. From my experience, different pairs of polarized sunglasses tend to be aligned to different polarities and had different effects with different screens. But you should always be able to lean your head one way or the other and change the effect.

Last fun fact/tip. If you're wondering if a lens is polarized, you can overlay it with another lens that you know to be polarized and look through them. Spin one of the lenses and if they are both polarized, you will see the light fluctuate from almost as bright as with just using one lens to going completely black where no light is getting through. If it doesn't do this, than one or both lenses are NOT polarized. This is because as you turn a polarized lens, it goes from filtering out horizontal to filtering out vertical. The one that is stationary is always filtering out just one of them, lets say vertical. So when both lenses are filtering out vertical, they're both trying to do the same work and no extra filtering is done. But when they are opposite, then all of the horizontal light that gets passed by the first lens gets filtered by the second lens, and no light is allowed to pass through.

Apologies for the long explanation. And please excuse any incompleteness/incorrectness in all of that. I was trying to simplify and summarize information I learned quite a few years ago. Yay Science!
GREAT INFORMATION POST. I don't use polarized lenses but great info to know!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Brightness on gauge cluster screen adjustable?

Quick Reply: Brightness on gauge cluster screen adjustable?