Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An honest inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned Ford Shelby's and my 2007 500hp had a design flaw in the flywheel and it was on all 07,08 and some 09.s Sometimes when you have high horsepower cars come problems with stess on parts.I had a nissan that had alot of teething problems. GM products two HHR's a 05 and a 11 NO problems @ all.10 Camaro SS no problems.Now a 14 Corvette no proplems . I have seen this on all forums from BMW.Ford and now GM. It comes with the nature of forums. Sometimes it is best to take some post with a grain of salt. The 14 Corvette has tested and tested more then you could imagine. Some people get in thier head it is new therefore it must have problems, The same old crap never buy a first year model is plain BS. AT lease we are not hearing Gov Motors crap.But I will say I am done reading on here and will spend time driving her. When I had a BMW 330i I would swear it was going to be a nightmare after reading the forums. The same thing with my Ford GT and those parts were high as hell and try finding a mechanic . Every one thinks they know the answers and only add to the confusion .

When I asked how long would it take to get my C7 ? Was told 2 months ,3 months and every thing in in betweem on this forum .I got it in 30 DAYS.Customer chat was pretty good and GM,er was great. There are about 10% of the people on here that knopw what the hell they are talking about. The problem is it is hard to filter the noise from the truth. GM is a new GM in my book. Can't wait to see the new C7r at the 24 of Daytona this coming JAN.

One last thing I have a 13 CTS coupe as a DD it still turns heads and love it and after 8 months not a visit to the service dept. I even had the oil change @ a chevy dealer for free. Cadillac dealer was to far.

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 10-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jspridge
An alternative viewpoint for everyone... BG has now produced 3,500 of these cars, and because of the natural tendency to complain louder and more consistently than we compliment, coupled with the unique ability of internet message boards to enable quasi-anonymous complaining to the world, we've been informed of problems with a dozen or so of them. Let's be generous and say that 50 forum members have reported a minor issue. If that's the case, then less than 2% of the cars have come out with even a minor problem that we know about. I'm pretty pleased with that statistic (so far). After having observed the assembly of my C7 a week ago, I can tell you that the people building these cars have an enormous sense of pride in their work and in their product. They have to build them with the parts that are baing supplied though, and with so many manufacturer's parts going into this car, there is bound to be a problem or two.
This is very well stated.
As I said to another member who is constantly looking for reasons to denounce the C7 in another thread last night, there have been 21 threads started with respect to "issues" with the C7 dating back to the day that the first customer cars were delivered (September 27th). Of those, probably half a what I would consider very minor issues (wrinkled leather seat, slight misalignment of the door panel/dash stitching, squealing brakes, center display light levels, two stuck pixels in a display, etc.). Maybe a couple were major...a failed diff unit, and ???. And a bunch that are easily resolved by the dealer (missing door sills, missing seat emblem, etc.). As of yesterday, GM'er's list showed 218 members' cars in status 5000. There are probably at least 100 cars delivered to regularly posting members on this forum. And there are 21 threads started with "issues".
That person also stated there were "many" cars with major orange peel. If you read the threads, there are about two people who complained that they had it and one person who saw a car at a dealer with heavy peel. Yeah, it's a real epidemic.

So agree completely, there are (as usual) a few people who are going to be griping the loudest and swinging feeble strawmen at "quality control problems" that just don't exist. And that's what going to draw more attention that the supposed "problems" themselves.
S.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The issue most of us have is that the cars are leaving the factory missing parts and in some cases options ordered are not there on the build sheet.
"The cars"? As in all of "the cars"? Or some of "the cars"?
Or much, much more appropriately, a very, very small sampling of "the cars"?
S.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

New pieces fitting together in new ways. New employees who do not yet have experience in assembling the C7. I am hoping for a trouble free car but stuff happens.

In my past car life I have seen cars come off the truck with three wheels the same and one different; no windshield, not broken, just not there; hole in the dash where the radio is supposed to be.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
Obviously its some of the cars and not all. However I still maintain this should not be happening especially with all the hype about quality these days. I would not expect perfection. However I would not accept mediocrity either.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM
torijona
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your comments address issues with reliability. The issue most of us have is that the cars are leaving the factory missing parts and in some cases options ordered are not there on the build sheet. There are some procedural problems that GM has since a rudimentary QC inspection should uncover missing parts and fit and finish issues.
I was referring to both reliability and missing equipment. If people weren't calling customer service every 5 minutes to see where their car is at, etc, GM could allocate more resources to QC vs Customer Support. That is why my dealer probably loves me because I called him to build my order, then to get an explanation about shipping to the dealer vs shipping to Nashville, and the last call was to pick the car up.

We all have to be patient. It is a new process and people at the factory are humans too. You have your car under warranty and have time to check it out upon arrival. We, the customers, are the ones responsible for this to be high stress project. Hope everyone is enjoying the C7 as much as I am. It puts a smile on my face every day I go inside my garage.

And no worries, if anything happens, GM will take care of you. We are their "special" customers...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM
torijona
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
Couldn't have said it better
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by doneski
to be honest... that's the reason I'm going to Porsche. Because the quality is just NOT there with GM. With the customer service and the quality of the build. If I am going to spend 60-70k, I want something stable and reliable.
Would hate to have problems on a long road trip..
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Let me start by simply saying please DO NOT take this in any way as a slight against the C7, it is more about GM and their lack of quality control.

I really have no idea what the % of new owners are posters/members here on the forum but it is unreal how many complaints and issues have been posted in a few week period. My point is if we are reading just what is posted here I wonder how many other dissatisfied new owners are out there.

I completely understand that things do happen when a product is mass produced but the amount of problems that have been stated are just staggering. I won't get into the specific issues I've read about but I will ask, why is the apparent build and quality process so seemingly inferior?

I have been with Acura for 21 years and I can tell you that I have never seen with our product paint peeling, parts missing, misalignment, unfilled fluids etc. not to mention the electronic and other issues some have posted here. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying we don't have problems too but we aren't selling iconic 60-70k sports cars, and what problems we do have pale in comparison.

Again this is not about the C7, it's about how disappointing the QC and refinement of the C7 is. For the guys who have a "perfect" car count your blessings, for the guys who are dealing with minor or major issues I hope you can see it through and your cars are also perfect soon.

Does anyone else think the amount of problems seem to be exorbitant? Lastly this is a thread about opinions of people who post here whether they have a 7 or not, please do not turn it into anything else!
I'm going to post before I read the rest of the comments so I wont be influenced by what others have said.

I said in the beginning, I would not buy a first MY C7 because of the C6 release problems. And C6 problems continued to show up for a year + . It wasn't until 2007 that I began to see the amount, and variety, of problems start to drop off and by 2008, I figured it would be okay to buy and it was. I had a 2008 Z-51 as well as a 2008 Z06. My Z06 was perfect then, and for the LS7, even though the valve issue had already raised it's ugly head, even 3 years into the release, it didn't seem to be nearly as widespread a problem as it turns out to be.

I am with Big Dan 427 in my surprise at the amount, and the severity in some cases, of the release issues. I really don't remember it being this bad in last half 2004 and 2005 for the C6. (But I am over 60 so maybe faulty memory issues?)

The biggest problem, as I see it, is how GM hyped how great they were going to be after the bailout and all the work that went into the C7. A car that is now almost 3500 lbs (By at least one account), and has far more serious issues than they should have had for their HALO car release. And optioned the way I would want it, it would cost almost the same as my 2013 Boxster. So much for the bang for the buck argument.

You can't ship cars with no fluid, bad paint, missing parts, or even lose cars during shipping without some repercussions. I thought about maybe buying a 2015 because maybe GM was really going to get it right. But now I am back to thinking not before 2016 and I WILL be keeping a close eye on these forums and other sources of info before I decide.

Sorry to be a little lengthy here but Big Dan 427 asked for honest opinions and here is mine.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jspridge
An alternative viewpoint for everyone... BG has now produced 3,500 of these cars, and because of the natural tendency to complain louder and more consistently than we compliment, coupled with the unique ability of internet message boards to enable quasi-anonymous complaining to the world, we've been informed of problems with a dozen or so of them. Let's be generous and say that 50 forum members have reported a minor issue. If that's the case, then less than 2% of the cars have come out with even a minor problem that we know about. I'm pretty pleased with that statistic (so far). After having observed the assembly of my C7 a week ago, I can tell you that the people building these cars have an enormous sense of pride in their work and in their product. They have to build them with the parts that are baing supplied though, and with so many manufacturer's parts going into this car, there is bound to be a problem or two.
So you don't think the problems posted on the forum can be extrapolated? If someone joins the forum to state a problem, thats one thing. But if the folks who are having problems have been on the forum anyway and are now reporting problems, then you can look at that as random sampling. Take the number of complaints to the number of forum members who have taken delivery of C7s and suddenly the percent of problems doesn't look so good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its an epidemic. But like I said in my earlier post, many of the problems - in fact virtually all of them are assembly or programming types of issues, not failures of components. That tells me that they were rushing them to meet the third quarter promise.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never purchased a new vehicle without issues.
Neither in the states, nor in Europe.
My european Ford came with the wrong steering wheel and needed a new driver seat, because the airbag was dead.
My US Ford needed the trans cables (stick) re-adjusted and one tire didn't hold air from day one.
My 40k Rubicon had so many issues, I don't even care to list them all...
And so on and so forth.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Obviously its some of the cars and not all. However I still maintain this should not be happening especially with all the hype about quality these days. I would not expect perfection. However I would not accept mediocrity either.
Isn't stating "this should not be happening" in one breath, and "I would not expect perfection" a complete contradiction?
There are going to be issues, some minor, others major. It's the rate of issues that determines the overall success of GM's QC. The bigger issue is that people beat the drum and repeat them over and over again until they become completely overblown. How many stupid comments and jokes have been made about "exploding" or "fluidless" differentials because it happened with one single car of which we know?
S.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jschindler
So you don't think the problems posted on the forum can be extrapolated? If someone joins the forum to state a problem, thats one thing. But if the folks who are having problems have been on the forum anyway and are now reporting problems, then you can look at that as random sampling. Take the number of complaints to the number of forum members who have taken delivery of C7s and suddenly the percent of problems doesn't look so good.
Really?
So 21 threads and probably 25-30 stated problems against 218 cars on GM'ers list "doesn't look so good"?
Have you see how JD Powers rates cars for "Initial Quality"? Hint: It's Problems Per 100 units and the highest scoring cars are in the 80-90 range.
S.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Complainers, naysayers, pessimists, haters, etc... it's simple, don't buy the new Stingray. Look elsewhere.

We'll enjoy ours...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:44 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
if you love Vettes, you have to take the poor service as part of the deal. It should not be that way, but it is. And now, the flame posts will begin!
It is much worse than that. A lot of us will do everything possible to NEVER use the dealer service department. As is oft repeated here, in most dealerships, the Corvette and the Corvette owner are treated just like the Spark owner.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
Complainers, naysayers, pessimists, haters, etc... it's simple, don't buy the new Stingray. Look elsewhere.

We'll enjoy ours...
Want to really laugh.

Look at those who are "complaining" in this thread. NONE of them even own a C7. That says everything that needs to be said.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

To be fair to Porsche the RMS issue was a design issue not a manufacturing issue. The crappy little problems happening with the C7 are production issues that are occurring during the build of the car. I have yet to see a Porsche coming off the truck at a dealer missing door sills, seat trim or differential fluid. GM has some explaining to do in my opinion.
Perhaps, but the poster specifically said he wanted something "more stable and reliable". That ain't a Porsche. Personally, I'd rather have a missing door sill then a complete engine failure.

And for the RMS problem, why is it fair to give Porsche a pass because it was a "design issue" and not a manufacturing issue. I call BS. Its all one company, they charge outrageous prices for their products and present themselves as a premier engineering organization and status symbol.

Get notified of new replies

To An honest inquiry

Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snorman
there are probably at least 100 cars delivered to regularly posting members on this forum. And there are 21 threads started with "issues".

S.
so that would mean issues in 21% of the cars delivered and that's acceptable? That's pretty bad in my book.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Want to really laugh.

Look at those who are "complaining" in this thread. NONE of them even own a C7. That says everything that needs to be said.
I don't know about you, but I research many of the items I intend to buy BEFORE I own them. From the lowly toaster all the way up to my cars. I don't need to own a C7 to post a thought about my perception of the initial release because I am researching, and the evidence is what it is.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

As said earlier, forums will always skew the preception as the loudest posters will always get the attention, and the people actively looking to deem the new car a failure will keep the threads going. Many of them are in this very thread.

Quick Reply: An honest inquiry