Sponsored by:

AC condensation overflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default AC condensation overflow

It seems the hose that the AC condensation drips from is dripping right on my exhaust or cat. Converter. Every time I park I hear the sound of water dripping on a hot surface for a little while which is pretty loud. Is this just where the overflow tube is or is it just not sticking down far enough? Just a minor issue but before I ask the dealer about it was wondering if anyone hears the same thing.

Anyone else?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
It seems the hose that the AC condensation drips from is dripping right on my exhaust or cat. Converter. Every time I park I hear the sound of water dripping on a hot surface for a little while which is pretty loud. Is this just where the overflow tube is or is it just not sticking down far enough? Just a minor issue but before I ask the dealer about it was wondering if anyone hears the same thing.

Anyone else?
My C6 does the same. No issues.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Anyone else?
Yep, mine does it too and no problem.
S.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ditto here on my Stingray. I asked about it in an earlier thread and people said it was common. Certainly sounds "wrong" the first time you hear it!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

This has to be wrong....... mine does it and no way it this by design. On my C5 the hose got clogged and I had to fix that....... but got it a little out of alignment and it dripped on the headers.

By time I got back under there the headers had begun to rust at that point. You take hot metal and drip cool water on them not a good combination.

I will be lowering mine so when I get under there I bet a simple redirecting of the drain hose off the drain unit will fix the problem.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
2VettesMike
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C4 same thing, hole in eval case hits right above cat converter.
No problem in 180K miles other than a hiss or two when I pull in the garage, can't hear it outside.

Enjoy your C7.

Mike
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Anyone else?
Hi Moto,

If you want to take it into the dealership to have it looked at, please let me know. I am not able to provide technical assistance online, but I can call the dealership for you. Keep me posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Thanks for the reply guys. Wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Kelly, thanks for the reply, if that's where the overflow is located then TiVo what it is, just wanted to make sure it wasn't accidentally pushed up . Ill mention it to the dealer when I'm there to have a few other issues taken care of.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
My C6 does the same. No issues.
Same here, it's normal.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Anyone else?
Like others have said, this dripping has been considered "normal" ever since the C4. My C6 had always done the same thing. So here is my stupid question; Since Chevrolet has been aware of this issue for literally DECADES, wouldn't somebody up there in the GM brain trust have figured this out by now? My C6 is the only car I have ever owned that "hissed" as a matter of normal operations at the end of a drive. I know it's not a big deal, but......
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6 and XLR both did it...figured GM would fixed this by now, but minor irritation at best.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The C7 just being a souped-up C6, no surprise even that well-known issue was left alone. You got to love their spin that only 2 parts were the same. It's the same darn chassis, down to the dual leaf-spring suspension. Quality is in the details, not the talk. Anyway, nothing you can do man. I tried to reach to the hose to add an extension or something, but it's too high up the tunnel. Couldn't reach. All you can do is turn the A/C off a few blocks before your destination. Plus that has the effect of your HVAC not developing a nasty smell over time .
Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

GM Doesn't want our pretty garage floors to get wet
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has been doing this for years, its so you get used to hearing it. Then you will hopefully notice if it stops before your passenger side footwell fill with water and ruins your car
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 AM
c7luvr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
GM has been doing this for years, its so you get used to hearing it. Then you will hopefully notice if it stops before your passenger side footwell fill with water and ruins your car
Brilliant!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I've owner a lot of GM cars and never had this happen on any of them. In fact I never had this happen until I moved the drip hose reparing a clog.

If it is designed this way......... I will customize it to NOT hit any hot parts.

This is not the way things work. You don't drip water on hot parts.

Some of you may enjoy the sizzle sound but IMHO you are doing harm to hot parts and facilatating rust.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I've owner a lot of GM cars and never had this happen on any of them. In fact I never had this happen until I moved the drip hose reparing a clog.

If it is designed this way......... I will customize it to NOT hit any hot parts.

This is not the way things work. You don't drip water on hot parts.

Some of you may enjoy the sizzle sound but IMHO you are doing harm to hot parts and facilatating rust.

That was my only quirk, besides the funny sounding noise. Over time is this going to cause rust. In FL we use our AC almost year long. Then again these parts do get wet from rain. It's no big deal but I just find it funny that GM designed it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To AC condensation overflow

Quick Reply: AC condensation overflow