Big Problem with New C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM
mysilvertoy
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Problem with New C7

re: fully loaded C7 Z51 Stick

Had Museum Delivery in mid-April. Great experience. Drove it home: 8 days, 9 states, 2,100 miles. Perfection!!!

Today, the car had just under 2,900 miles and I was driving from AZ to CA, west of Palm Springs on I-10, driving around 75...

All of a sudden the D.I.C. reported "Engine Operating at Reduced Power" (or something like that) and the "Check Engine Light" went on. I called Onstar, who told me the diagnosis was Code P16-F3 (I think that was it), which she said has "Problem with the engine propulsion system". Person also told me that the direction was, "take it for service within one day." Onstar also helped me find a dealer at my destingation. Fortunately, I could continue to drive at highway speed. I didn't shift out of 4th, and drove around 65 mph or so. Also, cruise control stopped working and the car locked into Tour mode.

Just as an aside... This has nothing to do with my current dillemma. I had a similar problem with my C6, and it took the dealer months to finally discover the cause and fix it. In the meantime, the car (unsafely) periodically and suddenly went into reduced power mode. And, sometimes I would get into it after I parked and it wouldn't start -- literally it wouldn't turn over.

Ugh! I am hoping the dealer can repair whatever is wrong with my Stingray by tomorrow night. It's essential I leave Monday morning as I must be home by Monday night.

1. Anyone have any idea what's going on with my Stingray?

2. If for some reason they can't fix it by tomorrow night, I'm going to have to fly back to AZ on Monday, leaving my car behind. Do you think GM will help in any way with the situation? And idea who to contact to ask for help?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I believe that particular DTC usually indicates an internal ECM error/fault. If someone has a C7 service manual they can verify but that is the generic fault associated with that code across other GM vehicles. It sounds like it went into a protective "limp mode" because of the error.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

2. If for some reason they can't fix it by tomorrow night, I'm going to have to fly back to AZ on Monday, leaving my car behind. Do you think GM will help in any way with the situation? And idea who to contact to ask for help?[/QUOTE]

The Dealer should provide you with a Loaner Car. My Clutch Master Cylinder went out at 900 Miles, first and last one I'm aware of that happening with any other Stingray.
I was given a NO COST Loaner Car while it was being repaired.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same problem once. A spark plug was loose. Fixed in like 10 min @ dealer. I feel your pain scared the crap out of me. No issues since. Happened @ around 3000 mlles. I have almost 15,000 miles now. I hope your issue is this simple also.

Last edited by sahowley; 06-13-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sahowley
I had same problem once. A apart plug was loose. Fixed in like 10 min @ dealer. I feel your pain scared the crap out of me. No issues since. Happened @ around 3000 mlles. I have almost 15,000 miles now. I hope your issue is this simple also.
Good point. That would be the first thing I would check. Verify that all the spark plug wires are connected the plugs and the coils. Then again, on the C6, the error code would indicate a misfire and tell you exactly what cylinder. I'd be interested in knowing exactly what that code means. My guess and hope is that it's something simple and stupid. Fingers crossed for you!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I did some reading up on that code. Camaro owners have encountered it and clearing the code seemingly resolved the issue permanently. I've also read that it's been caused by a loose battery connection and or bad battery. Given the nature of the code, battery is certainly one thing to have them check. Also, did you fill up any place that might have had questionable fuel? I ask because the code is usually thrown when the computer encounters an issue with it's programming or tune. I can't help but wonder if bad fuel would cause the computer to think the calibration is off. If I dig up anything else relevant, I will post it here. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:31 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Big Problem with New C7

Quick Reply: Big Problem with New C7