Sponsored by:

A Couple Of Questions For Forum Readers From The Wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM
sebljo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Couple Of Questions For Forum Readers From The Wife

I plan to trade my 2012 5 liter AT Candy Apple Red Mustang coupe in for a 2014 C7 but am not sure whether to include 3 options. I jokingly suggested to my husband that I should just ask forum readers their opinion and he said “go for it” so here goes.

I’m thinking of a 1LT Z51 in crystal red with adrenaline red interior, with black wheels, red calipers, auto transmission, and performance exhaust. My girlfriend says that Corvettes have a very rough ride, which I want to avoid. My husband says the C7 is a different kind of ride, unlike what my girlfriend has experienced. Neither of us has ever ridden in a Corvette so we don't know. I am strictly a street cruiser so my car will be baby’ed....no tracking or even really fast driving. I just want a nice riding car. So, here are my 3 questions:

1. Do any of you recommend getting the magnetic selective ride control option and will it give me the smooth ride I want? Or will the car be a smooth enough ride without it?

2. I kind of like the dealer installed center caps but wonder how they would look against black wheels [and will the lug nuts be chrome or black]? Or will they look to foo-foo?

3. If I order the carbon flash painted rear spoiler and outside mirrors will they come in black or crystal red? Thank you all.

Linda Jo
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the mag ride because the standard z51 suspension will probably be a little rough for you. you could always bet the base model as well. If you order carbon flash painted rear and mirrors they will come black.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Get mag ride...you will like it. Be VERY careful about Crystal red with red interior. They don't match and you may regret it. It sounds like something a guy would do.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Fast Mojo
Cruising

If you're not going to use it, I wouldn't get the Z51. More weight and added maintenance for something you would never use. Plus, I heard the non-z51 is a better ride
Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Depends on what you are going to use it for. I have a non z51 non mag car being built as I want the smoothest ride possible as its a around town driver. I'm not a track person. But if you have to get z51, you have to get mag to get the best ride.

I agree crystal red/ red lthr is a bad combo.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

^ I agree with what the others have said.

As you are 'strictly a street cruiser' the Z51 package is throw away dollars - the non Z51 suspension is fine, very smooth according to owners who have taken delivery.

Black wheels will come with black lug nut and center caps. Take delivery that way and if you decide down the road you want to change either, both are very easily swapped out.

Carbon Flash is black regardless of the color of the car you order. I personally love the look of the Carbon Flash spoiler and mirrors as they match all the vents and the lower rear of the car.

In you want Red/Red, I would suggest Torch Red exterior with Adrenaline Red interior - they were specifically designed to go together according to the folks at Team Corvette. Chrystal Red with Adrenaline Red interior is a 'touch combination' for resale.

The C7's idle sound is totally selectable if you go with the performance exhaust, so you can make it sound how you prefer. The idle is not rough, with all due respect to your girl friend.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 10-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The Torch Red exterior is designed to match up well with Adrenaline Red. Having seen both exterior red colors and the Adrenaline Red interior in person, there is no way around saying it, but the Crystal Red exterior (a gorgeous color!!!) will clash with the Adrenaline Red interior.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

To the OP:

Here is an example of a Torch Red car with Adrenaline Red interior, black wheels, spoiler and mirrors, carbon roof, & red calipers being delivered. This is a 3LT interior, which I would suggest you consider, and drop the Z71 option. I love the total look of this car as everything matches exterior and interior wise.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-z51-pics.html

Last edited by michaelinmech; 10-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The carbon black mirror/spoiler option means the mirrors and spoiler are black.

I agree with the above, I would just get the base model for a smoother ride. If you want the z51 (for looks, or whatever) then upgrade to the MRC.

My wife has a 2012 Candy Red 5.0. She is going to upgrade to a c7 in a few years once we can swing it.

I would go ride in one before buying. Some people love vettes, others can't stand them. My wife 10000x prefers her mustang to my z06. The seats, the ride, the interior, etc. The c7 is different but they are different cars. I would never buy or order a car without atleast riding or driving one. You may land up hating it. I prefer to drive the mustang daily over the vette because the vette is much more of a race car feel. Some people love that, others don't.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Dale427
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP - I have seen a Crystal Red / Khalahari C7 and it was absolutely stunning.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I would not get the crystal red with the red interior or the red brake calipers. Wrong shades of red. Torch red works well with those.

If you're looking for the best ride either go without the Z51 or if you want the Z51, definitely get the mag selective ride.

If your prefer crystal red to torch red, the brownstone interior or the tan (Kalahari) work very well with it (and of course black which works with everything), along with the black brake calipers.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ I agree with what the others have said.

As you are 'strictly a street cruiser' the Z51 package is throw away dollars - the non Z51 suspension is fine, very smooth according to owners who have taken delivery.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Black wheels will come with black lug nut and center caps. Take delivery that way and if you decide down the road you want to change either, both are very easily swapped out.
FYI...lugs on black wheels are chrome.
S.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of good info here, but remember that Q7T Option (Black Wheels) are only available on the Z51. CRM and Kalahari or Brownstone interior would go great.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree....NO Z!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:39 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snorman
FYI...lugs on black wheels are chrome.
S.

^ My bad - thanks !!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I would

definetly get the Mag. If you are to be the main driver you would probably like the 6spd auto, husband maybe not so much

We currently have an 06 C6, memory seats with the F55 (06 Version of Mag) suspension, 6 spd Auto and wife has no problems, flip the switch for touring or sport mode.

I understand the Red is VERY Bright and might be a bit much. I like the Kalahari color.

As for the Z51 you will need to work that out with Hubby (Z51 is a guy thing) but with the Mag option maybe not so bad.

Come March, we plan on the Artic White (So black Vents are highlighted),2LT, 7 spd Stick (Wife Grumbling in background), Kalahari Interior, Z51,NPP.

Good luck with your choices and DON'T FORGET TO WAVE

Get notified of new replies

To A Couple Of Questions For Forum Readers From The Wife

Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fredl11
definetly get the Mag. If you are to be the main driver you would probably like the 6spd auto, husband maybe not so much

As for the Z51 you will need to work that out with Hubby (Z51 is a guy thing) but with the Mag option maybe not so bad.

^ FYI - you can not order the Mag Ride Suspension unless you are buying a Z51 car
Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I'll save ya even more money ..... no Z and no mag ride. Mine is a Z w/o the mag ride and it is a very good ride. I'm am so glad I did not get the suspension.

I'd suggest if this is a keeper car you become familiar with the repair costs....... 8 , 9 ,10 years down the road when the shocks need replaced, then decide. On My Cadi it was north of 4 K.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM
hokiebus
Instructor

Ordered the same vehicle - 2 exceptions 2LT and Kalhari interior. Go for the mag ride. CR and Kalahari stunning - rest for me is resale. Lots of luck.

Quick Reply: A Couple Of Questions For Forum Readers From The Wife