Sponsored by:

Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
Do you know the difference between a Porsche owner and a porcupine ?

The ***** is inside.
Yeah, they tend to be a pretentious bunch don't they( not all, & some may be car guys that have other cars as well, like vettes, but on the whole they are quite taken with themselves. Why I have no idea. It's not cause it's beautiful like a vette, which has always been sexy).
Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Like Corvettes & Porsches

Fortunately I have been driving and racing both Corvettes & Porsches since 1982. Both cars are different and both cars are very satisfying to drive, cruise-in, and race. Love the look of both. If I could afford a third sports car like a Ferrari, I would have it too. Heck, I would like to have all the different cool cars. It is good that everyone has their own opinion and car desires. It is great to be free and have the freedom to buy what we desire. Thankfully the Corvette and Porsche connection have fed off of each other to make each car that much improved. 5-10 years from now these two cars will be even more advanced. Drive'em like you stole'em.
Fuze
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumalan
I may be in the minority here, but I could care less about Porsche cars. As a young man I recall seeing one, and my thought was that it looked exactly like a VW Beetle that someone had stepped on and kinda flattened it out. To this day, it still does to me.

I for one am more concerned about the appearance of the car, and for me it has never even been close. Corvette has always won hands down.

I like performance, but I for one never utilize it on other that entrance ramps to interstates. I am not and have never been a racer.

I seriously doubt that I am in a small minority here. I've owned at least 10 corvettes dating back to the C2's.

I had to get that off my chest!!!! I feel better now!
I've owned a C6 Z06, 3 911 Turbos, 2 Cayennes, and 4 GT-Rs. Currently have a 1100whp '13 GT-R, '07 911 Turbo, and '13 Cayenne GTS in my stable. I also have '14 C7 Coupe on order. Further, I recently spent 27 hours with a used ZR1 that I took from the dealer to decide if I wanted to buy it. I've also owned BMW M3's, M5, Supras and Mustangs.

Porsche makes some of the best sports cars in the world. Period. Better than Corvette in most ways. The GT-R is also one of the best sports cars in the world. Also better than the Corvette in most ways. However, the Corvette is the bang for the buck king, is beautiful, and has a feel and sound that the other two do not. I can't wait for my C7 to arrive.

But from a unbiased enthusiasts perspective (mine), if I could have only own one stock or lightly modded car, it would be a Porsche Turbo. If I could have only one highly-modified car, it would be a GT-R. If I were biased and only liked Corvettes, it would be a Corvette.

I'm just happy that I'm not biased and can see the pros of many fine, world-class automobiles. The Corvette being one of them. What I see here is a whole bunch of insecurity from guys who falsely believe that their car is the best, and anything else is crap. But unfortunately the Porsche guys do the same thing. As do the GT-R guys, as do the BMW guys, as do the Mustang guys, as do many other narrow-minded 'enthusiasts' on the internet. It's kind of sad, actually.

To each his own.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-18-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
Isn't titling a thread "Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches" just inviting more talk about Porsches? Oxymoronic or simply moronic, not sure...

This is my thoughts on looks-
C1 (53-62)- Goes to the Vette by default, there was no 911
C2 (63-67)- I love the Long Hood, but to me this is the best looking vette ever made, IMO no other vette looks even close to as nice, it figures it is by far the shortest run model.
C3 (68-82)- I prefer the SC and Carerra looks over the Vette, but to me this is close.
C4 (84-96)- I prefer the C3 looks to the C4 so early years I pick the 911, but I am not a huge fan of the 964 and towards the end the C4 got better looking so I give the edge to the C4 from 1990-1994.
C5 (97-04)- 993 IMO is like the C2 Vette, the best looking Porsche ever, so up until 1999 I do not think it is even close, the 911 looks better hands down. The C5 continued until 2004 so from 1999 to 2004 I give it to the C5 all day long, the 996 is the worst looking 911 of all time IMO.
C6 (05-13)- Early years I give it to the 911, when the GS/427 came out I think it is a draw.
C7- It is still growing on me, I do think they over-styled it, but that is more than likely just me getting used to the change, many did not like the Headlights on the C6 at first, now to me the C6 looks much nicer than the C5. Time will tell on this one.

Just my 2 Cents

To me if you own either your better off than those that own neither.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I've owned a C6 Z06, 3 911 Turbos, 2 Cayennes, and 4 GT-Rs. Currently have a GT-R, 911 Turbo and Cayenne in my stable, and a '14 C7 Coupe on order. I also spent 27 hours with a used ZR1 that I took from the dealer to decide if I wanted to buy it. I've also owned BMW M3's, M5, Supras and Mustangs.

Porsche makes some of the best sports cars in the world. Period. Better than Corvette in most ways. The GT-R is also one of the best sports cars in the world. Also better than the Corvette in most ways. However, the Corvette is the bang for the buck king, is beautiful, and has a feel and sound that the other two do not. I can't wait for my C7 to arrive.

But from a unbiased enthusiasts perspective (mine), if I could have only own one stock or lightly modded car, it would be a Porsche Turbo. If I could have only one highly-modified car, it would be a GT-R. If I were biased and only liked Corvettes, it would be a Corvette.

I'm just happy that I'm not biased and can see the pros of many fine, world-class automobiles. The Corvette being one of them. What I see here is a whole bunch of insecurity from guys who falsely believe that their car is the best, and anything else is crap. But unfortunately the Porsche guys do the same thing. As do the GT-R guys, as do the BMW guys, as do the Mustang guys, as do many other narrow-minded 'enthusiasts' on the internet. It's a kind of sad, actually.

To each his own.
Well Said
Old 10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think GM will be happy just knowing that there are people actually cross-shopping and considering the C7 over a Porsche. I think that was one of their goals when developing the new Corvette, to get buyers of the Germans interested in their car.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM
diablojota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have both in the family (C6 and 4S). They're completely different. Both are incredible. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Porsche. Glad I don't as I love them both. The Vette is more raw, while the Porsche is quite refined and more precise. Opposite ends of the continuum and that's why I love them both.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Corvette was, and will always be the King of Cool. Porsche not even on the radar for me. And, trust me, I can afford anything Porsche makes.
You are very fortunate. The new 918 will sell for $980,000.00. We all wish we were in your snack bracket.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musclecar6
EXACTLY. The 911 is a bad design and no one else makes a rear engine sports car for that reason. The Porsche nuts continue to buy those silly things, so Porsche figures if they are crazy enough to keep buying, they'll keep jacking up the price for these suckers. Ugly looking car too( I had a 2003 996TT, so it's not that I'm envious. My brother's 1961 Porsche super 90 roadster had the same lousy characteristics as my 996TT, only it didn't have any nannys to save you like my 996TT, & my brother did the same thing as you did, only he didn't miss the tree ( fortunately he didn't get hurt, but wrecked the car). 911's are waaay over priced accidents looking to happen if one gets agressive and don't know what they are doing( 99 percent of most amateur drivers).
I would bet more Vette drivers have crashed their cars because of all the HP/TQ and Cold tires than 911's drivers not knowing how to take a turn due to the rear weight bias. My point is one design you have to learn to drive differently than the other, but both in the wrong hands cause an equally dangerous situation for the driver and others.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petee1997
You are very fortunate. The new 918 will sell for $980,000.00. We all wish we were in your snack bracket.
In my experience those that do not talk about how much they can afford usually can afford the most, those that feel they have to bring it up usually can afford the least. Not saying this is the case in this situation, but most people that make good money do not talk about it in this manner.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
In my experience those that do not talk about how much they can afford usually can afford the most, those that feel they have to bring it up usually can afford the least. Not saying this is the case in this situation, but most people that make good money do not talk about it in this manner.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Eric_G
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

My 98 Boxster is a blast and a half for running the twisties in the mountains in Central Oregon. Did a frame off two years ago and it has just been a blast to own. My 13' C6 on the other hand is what I view as a jet fighter on wheels. If I want long road trip comfort with hp to burn I go that route.

Vehicle specific forums are really funny places, there are those that simply view "other" cars as less than in all categories. As with anything in life, if you don't like something, don't buy it or use it. But no matter what, you will always read in the press the comparison between what ever car and the Porsche as they carry a lot of heritage globally. Live and let live...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by 1986C4Z51
If you're looking to pick up chicks, I think you'll do better in a Porsche. At least in a 911.
I like how Porsche supports racing. Far more than GM does.

But, if you want to compare performance of actual cars that are affordable, a 1999 C5 stomped a new Porsche Cayman at the SCCA Solo Nationals, which must drive the Porsche fans crazy.
You cannot be serious! The 911 is hands down the ugliest car made-period!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The only reason the Corvette has improved as much as it has, especially the C7, is because of Porsche. Corporations don't build better products without competition. There would be no need. The more people compare the Corvette to Porsches the better the Corvette gets. I say "talk it up".

Michael
Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I would bet more Vette drivers have crashed their cars because of all the HP/TQ and Cold tires than 911's drivers not knowing how to take a turn due to the rear weight bias. My point is one design you have to learn to drive differently than the other, but both in the wrong hands cause an equally dangerous situation for the driver and others.
Yeah, rear weight bias. One has to constantly remember to not lift when going around a corner in a 911 which is counter intuitive. Porsche guys pride themselves on being able to "master" the rear weight bias of the 911 to have a more "rewarding" experience. One day I went around a corner faster than I normally do in my 911( while my other daily driver was a supercharged C6) and when it started to skid somewhat, I forgot I was in the 911, lifted, & it instantly went into snap over steer & fortunately I always leave the nanny's hooked up, so they jumped right in and saved me from swapping ends. Hey, I'm happy for all the guys who want to spend all their time mastering the 911, cause they think it's cool and rewarding. As for me, forgetabout it, I can do without the "rewarding" part.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
You cannot be serious! The 911 is hands down the ugliest car made-period!
Have you seen the GT-R and LFA ??

Get notified of new replies

To Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches

Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I've owned a C6 Z06, 3 911 Turbos, 2 Cayennes, and 4 GT-Rs. Currently have a 1100whp '13 GT-R, '07 911 Turbo, and '13 Cayenne GTS in my stable. I also have '14 C7 Coupe on order. Further, I recently spent 27 hours with a used ZR1 that I took from the dealer to decide if I wanted to buy it. I've also owned BMW M3's, M5, Supras and Mustangs.

I'm just happy that I'm not biased and can see the pros of many fine, world-class automobiles. The Corvette being one of them. What I see here is a whole bunch of insecurity from guys who falsely believe that their car is the best, and anything else is crap. But unfortunately the Porsche guys do the same thing. As do the GT-R guys, as do the BMW guys, as do the Mustang guys, as do many other narrow-minded 'enthusiasts' on the internet. It's kind of sad, actually.

To each his own.
Good for you! But Porsche has NO clue as to how to style a car. God awful!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think people that say things like, "I have never owned one and I would never own one", then say in the same sentence they are a "true" car guy, must know that its not too dissimialar to, "I only eat steak and that makes me a food connoisseur". A steak connoisseur maybe, but not food.

The human infatuation with transportation goes back to the beginings of recorded time. I believe we live in the best of those times and probably the pinnacle of times. The marriage of so much technology and super power is amazing. The fact that global capitalism presses these car makers to achieve better, faster and lower cost benefits everyone here, as each tries to outdo the other for our transportation dollar. Capitalism at it's finest and benefiting me. I believe this story ends with the Rush song "Red Barchetta":

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...

Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.

Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.

Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside

What is the car of the future?

I could see this scenario playing out:

Cheers!

Last edited by Dusty Starbucks; 10-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What he said.

Quick Reply: Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches