C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally got to see one in person. Pix do not do the car justice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I finally got to see one in person. Pix do not do the car justice.

After weeks of no local dealers having a C7, the website for the dealer where I bought my car finally showed they had one. The wife and I drove over, a vulture greeted us at the door, I said I had bought my C6 there and asked if they had any C7's to see. He said they had one there which was sold and immediately took us back to see it while explaining they did have one allocation slot available.

This car is pure sex. Pictures do not capture the true look. I think because telephoto lens shorten everything they distort the proportions. The first thing I noticed is that it is pure Corvette. The pictures alter the length to width. In person, it is more evolutionary from the C6 than a total departure. I mean that in a good way. When you walk up to it you know it is a Corvette even if every feature is different. The car has the same proportions and stance. No mistaking this for any other brand. So sweet.

Nothing on this car disappointed me or failed to meet expectations. This was a 1LT with the lone option being an automatic. It was sold, shipping to FLA next week and because of that we couldn't sit in it. No problem for me because I still want to sit in a vert before I order one of those.

The car was black. I am not a black fan and the pictures here haven't done anything for me but in person, this car was hot. Even my wife said it looked good in black (and she is not a car person). Pictures don't capture the subtle shading of the creases. Those disappear in pix but in person it is all there and really looks good. However, black also showed up every single water spot on this car and I'd never get one for that.

The base wheels, to my big surprise, looked good on this car. My thoughts had been to get a nonZ51 and immediately change the wheels. I reconsidered that today. They are well balanced to the car's shape and are a good fit. On their own they are boring, but the package looks good together.

The interior is great. Dashboard was standard and seeing it in person, if there were no FAY option, I wouldn't even think about it. It was all good. Something else that looks better in person than it photographs.

Interior was red. My C6 interior is black with red aftermarket accents and I like that. In the photos on CF, I thought the red glowed a bit too much, almost too bright, going pinkish. In person, the seats were a nice red. That would be easy to live with. I want 2LT features but the 1LT is really nice. The seats felt great, nice texture.

A salesman fired the car up for his customer with the remote. He didn't hit the gas (never got in it). Sounded OK (pretty tame though) at idle but I'd already wanted NPP and this confirmed it. Salesman told the customer to get NPP if he wanted better sound. Salesman are definitely not pushing Z51 and mentioned the constraint. I didn't ask price since I have no doubt the Forum dealers will be cheaper.

My only concern: since the car looks different (to me) in person, I really want to see the color I choose on the car. I think colors will be different than I imagine. On the other hand, it is likely they will all be good and I'll go from 4 choices to 8 (still no black). And red is now an option for the interior besides my other two choices. (Except a black and kalihari vert would be so hot.)

The car was squeezed into a bay between the wall, another car, on overhead door (raining today) and another salesman with customer. Pictures were hard to take, but I got two.

(If you can't find one near you to see, I'd definitely suggest offering the spouse a get-away to Bowling Green. My wife won't fall for it so if you want to caravan, let me know.)
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah, Ganley is the ONLY dealer back home to get one - That's ****in' sad.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Pix do not do the car justice."

On this we can agree! I was very skeptical of the new design, particularly that horrible camaro-like rear end.

But for some mysterious reason, in person, the car just looks 10x better. The rear is still my least favorite part of the car, but I can deal with it.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
Yeah, Ganley is the ONLY dealer back home to get one - That's ****in' sad.
Another CF member had seen the two Lally got in and quickly delivered. I think the other local dealers aren't even trying for Vette sales.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I guess everyone has different taste.

Until this week; I had only seen the C7 in pictures, never "in the flesh." The pics did not impress me much, but pictures are not the real thing. Now, I've seen two for real.

This week, the first C7 I saw was a base model in bright red. I thought it looked garishly over-styled, like a big red plastic insect. I might buy one for its mechanical features, but I'd need to walk up to it with my eyes closed because of the appearance. And I'm a guy whose last three Corvettes have all been red.

The second one was also a base, in that dark gray metallic. The difference was amazing. All of the over-styling and cartoonish looks disappeared. It's not that the car looked dull, just that the color toned down the styling so that it looked very nice. Appearance wise, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

As always, YMMV. For me, I'll have to wait for more reviews and a couple of test drives before deciding about a 2015.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Thank you for the informative write up.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to agree about seeing the C7 in person. I liked it in pictures and loved it when I saw it in person.

Red has always been my favorite color for Vettes but the Crystal Red I saw didn't look near as classy as the Cyber Grey one next to it. Now if it was available in Monterey Red....
Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM
gcope63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OP, I agree!!! I finally got to see and sit in one today that one of the local club members bought and it was AMAZING!! It looks a lot better than the photos and it was a lot more comfortable than my '07 C6!! If there was anyway I could afford one I would be at the dealership ordering it right now!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got to agree with the OP. Pictures do not do the C7 justice. I saw my first two yesterday at my local dealer, a Torch Red with Adrenalin Red interior, and machine faced wheels and a Crystal Red with Jet Black interior and chrome wheels. Both were 2LT's. From every angle you can tell that it is a Corvette. I got to sit on the CR one. The interior is awesome! There was not one feature that I did not like. I am impressed. So much so that I ordered a 2LT coupe in Crystal Red with Jet Black interior, auto trans, and chrome wheels. I've been considering ordering one for awhile, but wanted to see one in person first. This week was my 60th birthday, so I ordered myself a birthday present. Now the wait begins.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MWAZ
Now if it was available in Monterey Red....
I was thinking the same thing.

Before I saw a C7 in person, not so much. But now, Monterey Red vert with Kalihari top would be my wish list. Curious if 2015 would bring a new color or two.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scott53
This week was my 60th birthday, so I ordered myself a birthday present. Now the wait begins.
Happy Birthday

Next July is my 60th so I was thinking ordering a vert for spring delivery would be, uh, appropriate? Warranted? Necessary?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
Happy Birthday

Next July is my 60th so I was thinking ordering a vert for spring delivery would be, uh, appropriate? Warranted? Necessary?
Thank you! My opinion is that it would be very appropriate...and warranted. That way you could really enjoy the months of the run up to your 60th. You only go around once, and at age 60 I'm all for enjoying life.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Happy Birthday

Here is another picture of a black one if you're still not convinced

Old 10-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree it looks so good in person. I took a hour drive to a dealer today that had five. So hard to pick a color they all look so good on the C7.
Attached Images       
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Here is another picture of a black one if you're still not convinced

That hood is really nice.
Could just black chrome the stock wheels and be good to go.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Profit
I agree it looks so good in person. I took a hour drive to a dealer today that had five. So hard to pick a color they all look so good on the C7.
Exactly, my friend.

I really want to see the Laguna Blue in person. Preferably the hood looking over the steering wheel.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I saw 4 or 5 of the C7s at Bloomington Gold this year - all were amazing. I will agree the pics do not do the car justice.

Get notified of new replies

To I finally got to see one in person. Pix do not do the car justice.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The one thing that surprised me when I first saw it in person was the exaggerated --- and very attractive -- coke bottle effect of the sides of the car at the lower edge. It's something very unique in cars. And it works very well.

You can't really see it in photos but in person, it's very striking. It makes the car much more dynamic.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

That hood is really nice.
Could just black chrome the stock wheels and be good to go.
The hood is actually even better in person; it's very subtle. I am very pleased with the result.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

They sure do look good!

Quick Reply: I finally got to see one in person. Pix do not do the car justice.