Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

I just noticed paint runs all the way down the hard lower ridge of both the driver's and passenger's doors of my Stingray. You can see them in the pics I'm posting, but the runs are more noticeable when viewed in person. I provided a couple of contrasting photos that highlight the delineation of the runs.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this situation or if I'm the only one. Not trying to bash GM or my new Corvette, just wanting to see if others have noticed this, and, if so, how do you plan to handle the situation? Thanks!

UPDATE: After finding the paint runs, I thought I would do a closer inspection over the entire car. I've added photos of additional paint issues: debris, runs, significant orange peel, and divots. There are also blemishes on the inside of the headlight lenses.

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 10-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Tell them you want two yellows doors from the factory. Shipped to them. To put on! Instead of the dealer painting it!
After seeing ALL the paints problems on that lemon paint job! I would drop it off back to the dealer and not accept it period!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Velocity Yellow is a very difficult color to match from my personal experience. It is a 3-stage color where the clear coat actually has a tint added, green I think? New doors from Bowling Green will almost never match. You might need every panel replaced for a perfect match if you do not want a body shop re-spray with blending involved. GM will probably offer to re-spray the doors at a body shop first. The body shop will probably want to blend into the adjacent panels so the color or tone differences are not as noticeable. At that point every panel on both sides of your car will have had paint work. The hood and trunk will be the only panels not painted or blended. I have herd from this forum stories where Corvettes are sent back to the factor for replacement of body panels. Not sure if that is true or urban myth but that would be my preference. Even if it involved replacing every panel as long as it is done at the factory. In other words I would insist on a undetectable repair. Hope you have a positive outcome.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 10-18-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Tell them you want two yellows doors from the factory. Shipped to them. To put on! Instead of the dealer painting it!
Originally Posted by rexracerx9
Velocity Yellow is a very difficult color to match from my personal experience. It is a 3-stage color where the clear coat actually has a tint added, green I think? New doors from Bowling Green will almost never match. You might need every panel replaced for a perfect match if you do not want a body shop re-spray with blending involved. GM will probably offer to re-spray the doors at a body shop first. The body shop will probably want to blend into the adjacent panels so the color or tone differences are not as noticeable. At that point every panel on both sides of your car will have had paint work. The hood and trunk will be the only panels not painted or blended. I have herd from this forum stories where Corvettes are sent back to the factor for replacement of body panels. Not sure if that is true or urban myth but that would be my preference. Even if it involved replacing every panel as long as it is done at the factory. In other words I would insist on a undetectable repair. Hope you have a positive outcome.
Thanks for the advice. I'm extremely **** about my cars and can't stand debris, runs, etc., in the paint. I'm trying to stay positive though. Already have an appointment with my dealer on Monday to fix a couple of electronic issues and to look at another paint issue that I had already discovered. GM Customer Service has been working with me on these issues and has been absolutely wonderful. Hoping for the best here. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

First.
That can be fixed by any high end body shop. They will need to blend it so it matches. I would make sure they don't log the paint work so it shows up on a report (don't want to hurt resale). I would also demand that GM warrantee any paint work just in case. How low is your vin #? Is it a first run 1000 and under? Sorry this sucks GM get you QC up this should not be happening.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by fasttoys
First.
That can be fixed by any high end body shop. They will need to blend it so it matches. I would make sure they don't log the paint work so it shows up on a report. I would also demand that GM warrantee the paint just in case. How low is your vin #? Is it a first run 1000 and under? Sorry this sucks GM get you QC up this should not be happening.
It's VIN 1786
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I'm surprised by this. Aren't all the body parts painted by robots?

Michael
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
Hey now! Stop with the stereotyping, Robots have feelings (and actuators) too!

Seriously, they need to fix it, but they would probably be better off wet sanding, blending and recoating clear. I would find a Lamborghini/Austin Martin/ Ferrari certified paint shop. They are used to **** in a big way (that just sounds wrong on so many levels). I use one in San Jose and even under State Farm insurance claims. They just seem to know how to do **** right.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 AM
mikemote
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
Hey now! Stop with the stereotyping, Robots have feelings (and actuators) too!

Seriously, they need to fix it, but they would probably be better off wet sanding, blending and recoating clear. I would find a Lamborghini/Austin Martin/ Ferrari certified paint shop. They are used to **** in a big way (that just sounds wrong on so many levels). I use one in San Jose and even under State Farm insurance claims. They just seem to know how to do **** right.
Thank You ..........Robby
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Anyone who thinks "any high end body shop can match the paint" has never had a Velocity Yellow or Millennium Yellow car painted on. Good luck OP. Maybe this is why they closed the line to tours and many have commented seeing cars with different color panels which indicates they found a paint defect. Seems the robot sprayed the paint a little too heavy and it built up on the body line.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
Ditto!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Robots programmed by humans.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Anyone who thinks "any high end body shop can match the paint" has never had a Velocity Yellow or Millennium Yellow car painted on. Good luck OP. Maybe this is why they closed the line to tours and many have commented seeing cars with different color panels which indicates they found a paint defect. Seems the robot sprayed the paint a little too heavy and it built up on the body line.
I agree. A 3-stage color, especially Velocity Yellow is very difficult to match without blending. Blending is a accepted method of repair in the industry though. It's just I would not want 75% of my brand new car repainted due to poor quality control by GM. Too many other possible issues like over-spray, compound residue, non-matching texture, etc. I'd probably insist on a factory panel swap of the entire car, credit for the time out of service, a loaner, and additional compensation for all the trouble.

Not sure why Bowling Green is having so many initial quality control issues but they better tighten up real soon and take accountability for these owners with problems or they will loose customers. Like many on this forum I was hyped up, ready to order a C7 after seeing the car at the Auto Show even though there were obvious quality issues on the show mule. I figured it was pre-production quality issues and would be worked out BEFORE actual production. I was willing to give Bowing Green the benefit of the doubt before. Now anymore after reading about the initial quality of some of these cars.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Even blending won't always work. The job may fool the average person in natural light, but start getting the car in different light sources and you can see where the blend happens. GM paints these cars using a tinted clear. The aftermarket tries to match it using standard clear clear. The result is that the different methods look different in different light sources.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Do not let a dealer do it at all. You need a factory painted door. GM
will shovel you under the rug since got there money. The dealer
messed up a C5 door that came in damaged, (gm would not send a
new door) and I cracked the truck lid on a C6. The dealer could
not match the C6 paint, its a shade off and nothing but swirl
marks. For what we pay for Corvettes, quality is just not there,
C7 continuing the tradition.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM
BATMAN32
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Paint issues

I went to my local Chevy dealer here in Surprise, AZ to get my C6 serviced. While waiting, I strolled into the showroom and found a new Black C7. They would let me sit in it. Turns out, it was presold but the buyer backed out of it because of paint issues. I am waiting to order my C7 for them to work out some of the bugs they are having. Anyway, while I don't want a black C7, this car had everything else I wanted: 3LT, Auto, Wheels, Mag Suspension, Exhaust, etc. That peaked my interest so I talked to a salesman. He said the car was going to be available and at sticker price. He started showing me the paint faults. Some were caused by the cover then put on the cars for shipment (chaff marks, rub marks, quite a lot of them). There were a few bubbles of paint, and then there was a lot of orange peel. Few panels looked really good. There also was a cracked front light lens. He said he didn't know the full status of the car but would I like to make an appointment with his sales manager to discuss the car. I made one for two days later. I got 3 phone calls later to confirm this appointment, he must be one very important manager. Got there on time, had to wait 15 minutes for him to show. He confirmed that the car was available but they had to deal with the paint issues on the car. It might take 2-3 weeks, he wasnt sure. He wasnt sure how or who would fix the paint. He mentioned buffing. How do you buff out paint that is clearcoated? He didnt know. After about 15 minutes he brings up price. For this defective C7, he wants $8K over MSRP. I left thoroughy disgusted. The floor salesman told me that they didnt tell him about the $8K premium price. Not my favorite Chevy Dealer and I wont be ordering one from my local dealer..
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

For what we pay for Corvettes compared to their competition we are lucky. I have seen the same problem on a 911 costing $50,000 more.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I appreciate all the feedback...thanks everyone! I'll keep everyone posted. So is anyone else having similar issues?

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 10-19-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BATMAN32
For this defective C7, he wants $8K over MSRP. I left thoroughy disgusted.
That's just amazing!! Run from that outfit. They'll do a quickie, cheap-as-possible fix and then rip some poor soul off. Disgusting!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ask around for the best paint shop at the local Corvette club or cruise nights, shows etc. I found out all the Lambo, Ferrari guys were going to one particular individual at my local Porsche shop! Took some doing but I got him to do my car and all my Corvette club and car guy friends rave about my better then factory paint!

PS. What he actually did was wet sanding and buffing or "color sanding" and a detail job but people rave about my paint!

Last edited by BPHORSEGUY; 10-19-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?