Sponsored by:

Carpet removal in rear compartment question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Carpet removal in rear compartment question

When my car arrived the GM of the dealership checked it out and pointed out to me right away there was a small tear in the rear compartment carpet, on the right side of the floor kind of near where the roof stowage brackets are attached. The dealer ordered a replacement and it's already here. I know you need to pull up the carpet to access the battery, but can it all be pulled up and out this way? My idea is to pull it and replace it myself rather than have the dealer lean in/on the car and potentially add some scratches. They require the original back for warranty purposes which I understand, but said I could just bring it to the service dept. and do an exchange if I wanted to go that route. I'm bringing my '05 in for an oil change tomorrow in preparation for storage in a couple of weeks so thought I could do the carpet switch at that time as well. Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
When my car arrived the GM of the dealership checked it out and pointed out to me right away there was a small tear in the rear compartment carpet, on the right side of the floor kind of near where the roof stowage brackets are attached. The dealer ordered a replacement and it's already here. I know you need to pull up the carpet to access the battery, but can it all be pulled up and out this way? My idea is to pull it and replace it myself rather than have the dealer lean in/on the car and potentially add some scratches. They require the original back for warranty purposes which I understand, but said I could just bring it to the service dept. and do an exchange if I wanted to go that route. I'm bringing my '05 in for an oil change tomorrow in preparation for storage in a couple of weeks so thought I could do the carpet switch at that time as well. Any thoughts?
Let them do it...unless you are very unsure of their capabilities.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Uh, let the dealer do it, that is their job.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Totally let the dealer handle it. It's only a car. Hate to tell ya, but it's eventually going to get a scratch somewhere. Have fun with it...and don't worry about it. Enjoy.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by BPhillyc7
Totally let the dealer handle it. It's only a car. Hate to tell ya, but it's eventually going to get a scratch somewhere. Have fun with it...and don't worry about it. Enjoy.
It is difficult to take it out! Having just taken enough off to get at the rear fuse panel, I am not even sure how to get it off from around the left side compartment. I had to pull the right wheel cover out of its tabs just to get enough carpet out to get to the fuse panel. Even then I was holding up the carpet to take a picture. Others have said it is difficult as well. I would venture to say you need to remove both plastic wheel well covers and the trim around the compartment on the left. I think getting the carpet to fit around the compartment door would also hard. Suggest they put a cover on the rear and fenders. They may have already planned to do that.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-22-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

OK, thanks for the input. It has made my decision easy-let the dealer do it. I brought up the scratches issue as it always bugs me when you bring something in for a repair and you find it is done properly but there is something else messed up in the process. Some things are simple enough to do myself but this one sounds like it may be more than I care to deal with.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
awstngray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do it myself, but I'm OCD. I've also had too many bad dealer/ service experiences.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet removal in rear compartment question

Quick Reply: Carpet removal in rear compartment question