C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm extremely excited tonight after receiving a report about my Corvette! They are still working on it, but should have it completed in three to four days. They are basically rebuilding my car with all new body panels, which is absolutely incredible in my opinion. I imagine most of the body replacement has been done/is being done by hand. I'll have bit of a rarity when it's all said and done!

While some like to badmouth QC for even allowing the car to be delivered as it was in the first place, that's water under the bridge and what really matters to me is that my Corvette is being rebuilt and will likely have the very best fit and finish possible. I had hoped to have it back by this Saturday so I could show it off at the Toys for Tots Drive on Sunday, but maybe I'll have it back in time for our Corvette club's participation in a local Christmas parade on Saturday, November 23. Hopefully Santa's sleigh, with my Corvette in tow, will arrive before the 23rd!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Yea! thats great news - glad for ya!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Originally Posted by ksowul
Yea! thats great news - glad for ya!
Thanks! I wish I could see things as they were doing them!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Thanks! I wish I could see things as they were doing them!
Glad to hear things are almost over and you'll be getting your baby back soon. You will be one of the few to have a hand built, super inspected car.

When they did mine I asked if they could take some pictures with the body panels off. One of the quality control engineers said there's good naked and bad naked, and that would be bad naked The only picture I got was when we picked it up sitting in the light booth.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm extremely excited tonight after receiving a report about my Corvette! They are still working on it, but should have it completed in three to four days. They are basically rebuilding my car with all new body panels, which is absolutely incredible in my opinion. I imagine most of the body replacement has been done/is being done by hand. I'll have bit of a rarity when it's all said and done!

While some like to badmouth QC for even allowing the car to be delivered as it was in the first place, that's water under the bridge and what really matters to me is that my Corvette is being rebuilt and will likely have the very best fit and finish possible. I had hoped to have it back by this Saturday so I could show it off at the Toys for Tots Drive on Sunday, but maybe I'll have it back in time for our Corvette club's participation in a local Christmas parade on Saturday, November 23. Hopefully Santa's sleigh, with my Corvette in tow, will arrive before the 23rd!
Nice read.

You sound like you live life "on an even keel". Good for your stress levels. I don't think I could manage that attitude myself.

I think they should have built you a new car and used the old one as a demo, loaner, advertisement, etc.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Nice read.

You sound like you live life "on an even keel". Good for your stress levels. I don't think I could manage that attitude myself.

I think they should have built you a new car and used the old one as a demo, loaner, advertisement, etc.

I agree he's way more patient than I would be...I feel so bad for the ones going through this as there's no reason for this in this day and age..it down right sux IMO.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by svtkeith
I agree he's way more patient than I would be...I feel so bad for the ones going through this as there's no reason for this in this day and age..it down right sux IMO.
Agree. I thought automated automotive assembly technology had gotten to the point of being almost foolproof. The 3D engineering technology we have these days makes designing parts that fit nearly perfectly a cinch. Painting should be tuned to a perfect paint job and once done, the computer repeats every movement and timing EXACTLY time-after-time from that point on. The only variable would be paint viscosity or mixture, I guess.

Maybe BG set up the plant and retooled it and commenced production to stay on schedule despite not having everything working perfectly.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from all the QC and other issues...why would they leave that car hanging off the back of the trailer, aft of the rear wheel set?
Shouldn't the load be centered between the wheels!?
I am not a truck driver, but logic tells me that there is a much better place for that car on an otherwise empty trailer.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Yes, it sucks, but I try to be patient. After suddenly and unexpectedly loosing my mother at the age of 65 two years ago, I'm even more quick to realize that things are just things and that most things we get all worked up about in life aren't really all that important in the end. So I try...sometimes I'm better at it than at other times.

As for where the driver put my car on the trailer, the car is light enough that the position really didn't matter. He didn't want to risk any damage to the front air dam by driving it further onto the trailer. He even got out of the car once to ensure clearance. I was very impressed by the care the driver showed my Corvette.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Glad to hear things are almost over and you'll be getting your baby back soon. You will be one of the few to have a hand built, super inspected car.

When they did mine I asked if they could take some pictures with the body panels off. One of the quality control engineers said there's good naked and bad naked, and that would be bad naked The only picture I got was when we picked it up sitting in the light booth.

jagamajajaran & R&L's C6 - the only 2 factory, fully hand re-bodied, late model Corvettes I've ever heard of !!!

Maybe you 2 should have very special fender badges made, marking the celebrity of these 2 cars !!!!

Lastly, the VERY best thing about both of these experiences, from which we should all take heed, is the gentlemanly professional manner in which both guys handled their situations. No wailing, no bashing and no threats were employed. Both guys worked diligently and systematically within the GM procedures to bring their issue to the attention of the right folks. Having done so, and recognizing legitimate issues, Team Corvette did the right thing by both of them. I applaud all involved.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 11-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

Lastly, the VERY best thing about both of these experiences, from which we should all take heed, is the gentlemanly professional manner in which both guys handled their situations. No wailing, no bashing and no threats were employed. Both guys worked diligently and systematically within the GM procedures to bring their issue to the attention of the right folks. Having done so, and recognizing legitimate issues, Team Corvette did the right thing by both of them. I applaud all involved.
agreed...polite directness implying you will not go away on this, and doors open...and it looks like you might have done some good with BG as a recent car came in perfect...let's hope they are trying A LOT harder...
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

I'm looking forward to hearing the happy ending to this story!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
agreed...polite directness implying you will not go away on this, and doors open...and it looks like you might have done some good with BG as a recent car came in perfect...let's hope they are trying A LOT harder...
I can tell you first hand the build process is getting better day by day. Stopped by the museum while we are in Bowling Green. Looking at the corvettes on display for delivery you can see the gaps are getting tighter between let say the 2800 vin range and 5200 vin range. Believe they are making improvements every day and it's only going to get better. I'm enjoying the hell out of my C7.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car looks beautiful from here. I hope that it comes back looking even better so that you can regale us with some more awesome photos, but under better circumstances.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it sucks, but I try to be patient. After suddenly and unexpectedly loosing my mother at the age of 65 two years ago, I'm even more quick to realize that things are just things and that most things we get all worked up about in life aren't really all that important in the end. So I try...sometimes I'm better at it than at other times.
That is one example of why when I hear people say this is "sad" or that is "sad" about a car I just sigh to myself and think that there is really nothing about any car production issue which is "sad". Hope your car lives up to your expectations and gives you miles and miles of high performance smiles
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes!

MThomas, thanks for the report! Of course, BG wants the new Corvette to be world class in all regards. They are definitely focused on getting there.

And of course, I will be sure to post a plethora of photos when I get her back!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes!

MThomas, thanks for the report! Of course, BG wants the new Corvette to be world class in all regards. They are definitely focused on getting there.

And of course, I will be sure to post a plethora of photos when I get her back!
Will be looking forward to hearing the end of the story. BTW, two things:

That's the color I would order if I can ever swing it (but would have a tough choice if they brought back Atomic Orange). And secondly, my mother died of cancer when she was 67. Sometimes, my wife chats with her mother on the phone and gets off irritated. I gently remind her with these words, "Baby, remember...you have a mother...I wish I did." I only had to say it twice in the past year and now she has much better patience.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Slynky
Will be looking forward to hearing the end of the story. BTW, two things:

That's the color I would order if I can ever swing it (but would have a tough choice if they brought back Atomic Orange). And secondly, my mother died of cancer when she was 67. Sometimes, my wife chats with her mother on the phone and gets off irritated. I gently remind her with these words, "Baby, remember...you have a mother...I wish I did." I only had to say it twice in the past year and now she has much better patience.

Perspective is everything, my friend!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I decided to activate the OnStar Family Link so I can keep up with my Corvette's location. Here's a screen capture of it's location at the factory tonight!

Quick Reply: Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)