C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

With all those paint issues I can't imagine that they would even try and do a repaint. It would be quicker just to strip her naked and put on all new pretty clothes. GM can save the old clothes for a test vehicle, put them on some movie car they are about to smash up, or more crash testing.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!
Maybe not exactly livid, but waiting 3 weeks, after I already paid for it?

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I don't see what's wrong with a repaint. I can't imagine GM setting a precedence like a new car. Re-skin maybe.
Precedence's been set. Chevy's done it in the last month for at least one Camaro with paint issues and at least one Vette with mechanical issues.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 10-28-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by KingMotley
With all those paint issues I can't imagine that they would even try and do a repaint. It would be quicker just to strip her naked and put on all new pretty clothes. GM can save the old clothes for a test vehicle, put them on some movie car they are about to smash up, or more crash testing.
My service manager said they would likely want to keep the parts with issues for testing so they can properly evaluate why there were issues in the first place.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 AM
KaKruisin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to see them step up and do the right thing. I am sure they are getting the message about these paint issues. I picked my car up at the Museum last week, and after reading about some of these issues, I inspected the paint very carefully - fortunately the paint on my car looks good. I hope that you are happy with the results, and I suspect that your case will make a difference for future Corvette buyers.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?
It won't be a paint repair they will replace ALL of the body panels with issues.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?
Originally Posted by KingMotley
Yes this is what they will do.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Awesome of GM. I'm happy for you.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

It's great to see GM stepping up and doing the right thing. Not to say they wouldn't do this regardless, but with the power of the internet....the whole world is watching....they sort of HAVE TO.

I'm sure your car will be perfect when you finally get it back.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 AM
D nice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw my first c7 in person last Sunday at a car show...A dealer display.

Several paint issues jumped out at me...
-heavy build up on edges of body panels + 1/16" to 3/32"(I guess clear)
-very heavy orange peal...you can tell where some of it was knocked down and buffed out...but only the areas that were convenient. Front quarters by stingray logo was the heaviest orange peel I have ever seen on a new car!

-This car also had body panels way out of alignment...1/8-3/16 deflection in body lines from one panel to another. Rear bumper skin had gap issues...probably measured 3/16" to 3/8". A-pillar and roof transitions had 1/8" + deflections in edge lines.

My wife and I were very surprised at the obvious lack of QC at GM. We both agreed that it looked like a prototype or kit car. I am sure they will work out the bugs...and cant wait for the wide body version!!

Reminds me of a new Golf course that I worked at in College. It opened 3 or 4 months too soon...the grass was not ready, and players were pissed when they got finished.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Adrian-S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job to GM for going the extra mile to make it right!

-adrian

Last edited by Adrian-S; 10-29-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian-S
Good job to GM for going the extra mile to make it right!

-adrian
BS. If they went the extra mile in QC like they should have the op wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. GM is only sorry now because they got caught!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 AM
isdnews
Instructor

WOW, Jagamaetc.etc...... the GM response is, indeed, extremely impressive. They're definitely doing the right thing by you, and that's what matters. And you've got the right attitude about it, too.

It's really encouraging to read this - both their corporate response to the issues, and your response to the problems and the way the company is handling it.

I'm fortunate to have been one of the ones with the 'perfect paint and fit/finish' on my car. I'm sorry it wasn't that way for you - but it will be "all good" within a matter of weeks.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

Originally Posted by red2012
BS. If they went the extra mile in QC like they should have the op wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. GM is only sorry now because they got caught!
honestly GM should just build him a replacement car and call it a day. He should be left to drive this one until the new one can be built, then take the old one back fix it and run it through the GM auction. He shouldn't be with out his Corvette for any weeks period. It's a shame GM can't get its act together and do it right from the start.

Last edited by Red Lightening; 10-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I appreciate the comments. Since I haven't disclosed all that GM has indicated they plan to do for me, suffice it to say that I am okay with not having my new Corvette to drive for a few weeks. If I have to have a new car, that will be okay, too. I would, however, prefer to keep the car I have because 1) it's already broken in, and 2) It is a lower VIN than I would have otherwise. But if they do decide to just build another car for me, I will be happy with that as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Nothing impressive at all about this situation unless you are impressed with incompetence.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 AM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's amazing you guys think GM is doing anything above and beyond - this is what should be expected of any car company at a minimum. They are completely inconveniencing their customers and then worst of all - there's no guarantee that the issue won't be on the next car.

They should let him keep his car until they can deliver a flawless new car to him - it's simple.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!
I can't believe you have to be without your new car for an extended length of time.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Shodanusmc
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
Nothing impressive at all about this situation unless you are impressed with incompetence.
If they really wanted to do the right thing, they should give him a new car with a deep discount. I would not want a repaint or a rebuild.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Anyone keeping track of the color(s) that have major paint flaws?

Seems to be a LOT of VY involved
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I appreciate the comments. Since I haven't disclosed all that GM has indicated they plan to do for me, suffice it to say that I am okay with not having my new Corvette to drive for a few weeks. If I have to have a new car, that will be okay, too. I would, however, prefer to keep the car I have because 1) it's already broken in, and 2) It is a lower VIN than I would have otherwise. But if they do decide to just build another car for me, I will be happy with that as well.
Just curious: why the secrecy? Has GM asked you not to disclose what they plan to do for you? As far a s having a low VIN, I'm not sure that's such a great thing to have if issues with the early cars continue.

Quick Reply: Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)