C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Just curious: why the secrecy? Has GM asked you not to disclose what they plan to do for you? As far a s having a low VIN, I'm not sure that's such a great thing to have if issues with the early cars continue.
It's common to have a non disclosure for buy back for any car company.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand electrical issues and what not with a brand new car, but paint issues like the ones that have been blasted on here is not right. Gm has been painting Corvettes for how long now? Its a disgrace. I sat through all the GM sessions @ Carlise with the C7 people from GM and they said they take great pride in the C7 team and that every section of every Corvette is checked and checked again before it leaves the plant!

Good luck to you and you have much more patience then I would have after dropping that kind of money on a new Vette.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
It's common to have a non disclosure for buy back for any car company.
I wasn't aware that this was a buy back.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Well....now you probably know.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!
Agree it is ridiculous they let this go out of the plant this way. However, I would rather have them take it back and re-skin it, rather than a new car. A new car could have other issues, or even the same ones. If it goes back to the plant, you can be pretty well assured, it will be in tip top shape when he gets it back. I would assume they would go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and it would be like getting a hand built car.

Michael
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Was it eventually covered up for the trip to BG? I know they have protective covers on them when delivered to the dealer.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

His car will come back PERFECT, guaranteed.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder how much difference the internet played in the response by GM. In pre-internet days all one could do is hope your dealer would go to bat for you. If you could not get satisfaction, you could write a letter, or battle your way through the lemon laws. Some repainting of body panels would be the best you could hope for. Today, with the power of the internet, and forums like this one, a single customer can get the attention of the top brass of a manufacturer. Of course the fact that there are a number of paint and other issues has GM paying close attention to the problems of it's new flagship car. I feel for the OP, he is a more patient man than I am.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am happy you are getting these issues resolved. Good for GM for doing the right thing.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

I think most objective followers agree GM is trying to do right by the OP, but "mistakes happen?" Most objective posters should be amazed at HOW MANY mistakes had to "happen" for the OP to be presented with such a slipshod product.

Let's all hope it was just a real bad day at BG.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Gambit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased.

I'm not actually sure about their processes. I do know that the car is going back to the plant at Bowling Green. If they strip the exterior of the car, I would think they would be able to run it through the body assembly line again, but then again, I do not know much about the manufacturing process. I do know that some of Bowling Green's top brass is involved in the process of my repairs and I would bet money that when my Corvette leaves the plant it will have been meticulously scrutinized.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I think their response has been tremendous!

My main concern with a repaint would be the potential evidence of a repaint, which would be a red flag to a potential buyer whenever I decide to sell it, or even the possibility of losing a potential buyer because of it. Another concern is the longevity of the paint if the car is resprayed. Will it hold up as long as an original painted car would? I do not know, but it is a concern, which would seem to be hard to test at this point. I don't expect GM to send me a new car, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. My local service manager thought they might do that initially and thinks they still may do that. A gentleman had an issue with the paint on his 2011 Corvette and instead of repainting the car, they actually replaced the exterior of the car. This would be the most satisfactory solution in my opinion.

But I can understand someone being upset about a situation like this. I just choose not to be livid...I don't need the stress in my life.

Typical process for rejects that don't have substrate issues is to rework the defect and repaint. Every manufacturer does this and you are allowed to repaint a part 2 more times (3 total).

When done correctly you can't tell the part is repainted. In fact it may even look better because repainted parts typically have better (less) orange peel.

The only sure fire way to know is to take a film build reading.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
BS. If they went the extra mile in QC like they should have the op wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. GM is only sorry now because they got caught!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM
kvmontgomery
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 191 Posts

This is an awesome post! Congrats to GM for standing by their product!!!
Thea VY C7 still looks awesome going onto the truck, warts and all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I can't believe you have to be without your new car for an extended length of time.
It sucked seeing it being hauled away yesterday afternoon because I've been enjoying it so much...the attention the new Corvette commands has been incredible. But I know she'll be back as soon as possible...and better than ever!

Just curious: why the secrecy? Has GM asked you not to disclose what they plan to do for you? As far a s having a low VIN, I'm not sure that's such a great thing to have if issues with the early cars continue.
First, it's not a buy back, at least not at this point. There are many things still up in the air, so I'm not being secretive, but rather just sharing information that I know to be absolute fact. Thanks for asking though.

Originally Posted by Michael A
I would assume they would go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and it would be like getting a hand built car.
Michael
This is what I am hoping for!

Originally Posted by Red08
Was it eventually covered up for the trip to BG? I know they have protective covers on them when delivered to the dealer.
They did not cover it for the return trip. Not a big deal to me with all that needs to be done. And even though I took the cover to the dealership as requested, I don't think it could be properly covered with the old cover anyway.

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

His car will come back PERFECT, guaranteed.
Pretty much how I feel about the entire situation. Would I have preferred to not go through this situation at all? Absolutely! Am I content with the process with GM and Bowling Green so far. Absolutely!

Originally Posted by 00247
I wonder how much difference the internet played in the response by GM. In pre-internet days all one could do is hope your dealer would go to bat for you. If you could not get satisfaction, you could write a letter, or battle your way through the lemon laws. Some repainting of body panels would be the best you could hope for. Today, with the power of the internet, and forums like this one, a single customer can get the attention of the top brass of a manufacturer. Of course the fact that there are a number of paint and other issues has GM paying close attention to the problems of it's new flagship car. I feel for the OP, he is a more patient man than I am.
I wondered the same thing until I learned that another Corvette had been taken back to the factory in the last couple of weeks and that Corvette hasn't been discussed online at all. That suggests to me that GM's culture isn't just reactionary to what goes on on the internet. And that is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Gambit
Typical process for rejects that don't have substrate issues is to rework the defect and repaint. Every manufacturer does this and you are allowed to repaint a part 2 more times (3 total).

When done correctly you can't tell the part is repainted. In fact it may even look better because repainted parts typically have better (less) orange peel.

The only sure fire way to know is to take a film build reading.
Good information, friend. Thank you!

Originally Posted by kvmontgomery
This is an awesome post! Congrats to GM for standing by their product!!!
Thea VY C7 still looks awesome going onto the truck, warts and all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! Fortunately, they are removable warts!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I'm seriously missing my Corvette! Don't want them to rush it through, but I'll be glad when it's back!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

After being around car dealers most of my life I've seen cars of various brands arrive with unacceptable paint, my own included . It usually gets corrected locally. My initial impression here was that GM really went above and beyond when they offered to take it back to the plant rather just paying for warranty paint work at a local body shop . I was surprised how many posts here are bashing GM even in spite of this generous and expensive offer . Upon re-reading these negative posts I noticed how many are from C6 owners . Is it possible that there is a subconscious desire to take a little wind out of the sails of this exciting new model that everybody seems so crazy about ?

To the OP, I applaud you for your patient and positive attitude. Your car will be back before you know it and better than ever.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by ZL-1
After being around car dealers most of my life I've seen cars of various brands arrive with unacceptable paint, my own included . It usually gets corrected locally. My initial impression here was that GM really went above and beyond when they offered to take it back to the plant rather just paying for warranty paint work at a local body shop . I was surprised how many posts here are bashing GM even in spite of this generous and expensive offer . Upon re-reading these negative posts I noticed how many are from C6 owners . Is it possible that there is a subconscious desire to take a little wind out of the sails of this exciting new model that everybody seems so crazy about ?

To the OP, I applaud you for your patient and positive attitude. Your car will be back before you know it and better than ever.
I appreciate your positive post!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1

I'm a C6 owner, I like the C7, and I plan on buying one as soon as the QC issues are solved. Your theory is bull$hit and most likely designed to start more crap. Nice try, but these issues are real and need to be addressed. To suggest otherwise is pure ignorance.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I'm a C6 owner, I like the C7, and I plan on buying one as soon as the QC issues are solved. Your theory is bull$hit and most likely designed to start more crap. Nice try, but these issues are real and need to be addressed. To suggest otherwise is pure ignorance.
Yes, there are some QC issues that need to be solved, and perhaps, have already been solved. And if his theory was designed to start more crap, your post suggests that it worked.

I, for one, am not into mud-slinging. I work too hard to keep my Corvettes looking good and mud free.

Quick Reply: Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)