Sponsored by:

Black C7 Debadged

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 AM
DallasC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black C7 Debadged

First let me start off by saying it's a pain in the *** and takes some time. The debadging part is simple and quick, under 5 minutes to take off the two rays on the side and the Corvette in the rear. HOWEVER it's a PITA to remove the gunk. So be prepared and be patient.

I used a conventional hair dryer, dental floss, Spray on GOO GONE and two micro towels. There was ZERO damage to my paint, clear coat or anything else except my thumb nail. Seriously, my thumb is killing me now, but thats because I didn't have what a shop would use which is a plastic razor blade. The plastic razor blade can't cut through your paint, but is ideal to remove the thick top layer of the adhesive that is left behind when you initially debadge.

If your awesome and can peel the gunk off as a whole (without leaving a thin layer of adhesive behind) than more power too you. However, this glue GM uses is some serious sh*t.

1. use the hair dryer for about 15-20 seconds until the badge and glue behind it is very hot. Use the dental floss and "saw" back and forth, using the floss to peel the badge from the glue. Be careful not to let the badge fall and scratch your paint once it gives.

2. If you have a plastic razor blade use this instead. I on the other hand did not so I used my thumb nail (I tried various different "tools" laying around the house and they all made me nervous that I would scratch the paint) and carefully peeled off as much as the adhesive as possible, you can apply direct heat from the hair dryer to assist with getting it off.

3. In most cases you will have a thin layer of glue left behind. Use the GOO GONE and work the solution into the glue. Let it sit for a few minutes then apply heat from the HD (15-20 seconds) and use your microfiber towel, working away at it. It takes awhile as GOO GONE is not strong enough alone to dissolve the monstrous glue GM uses.

4. Once all the glue is gone, rinse off the areas with water, apply speed shine or wax and your done!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Looks cool
Old 11-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

agreed the black adhesive they are using is tough stuff....takes time but it comes off....the biggest problem is most people rush it. See my debadge post in the appearance section. Make up an eyedropper bottle and marinate it every hour for about 6 hours and it comes off much easier than just applying goo gone and starting the debadge...it needs to SOAK HOURS in goo gone....

I dont mind badges, just not the fish - my replacement:
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been tempted to find a couple Corvette Stingray badges from the 60s and replace the fish…. could look cool…..
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by onthebottom
I've been tempted to find a couple Corvette Stingray badges from the 60s and replace the fish…. could look cool…..
It's been done here...search....
Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice job DallasC7. Looks clean and mean. The lines really seem to flow better without any distraction.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM
DallasC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
Nice job DallasC7. Looks clean and mean. The lines really seem to flow better without any distraction.
Thanks!

Next on the list is window tint and possibly lowering it 3 qrts of an inch.

Get notified of new replies

To Black C7 Debadged

Quick Reply: Black C7 Debadged