C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pocket do you keep the fob in? On my 2013 GS, if I had the fob in my right pocket when I got out and closed the door, I was close enough that it would sound the warning. Apparently the fob signal was strong enough that the car thought the keys were still inside.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
The C6 had this you just turn off the FOB reminder.
LOL...and that's so, when you're 50 miles from home, stop for gas and turn the car off and realize you left the fob on the workbench...........well, you've got no one to blame but yourself at that point!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Yes, I have - a little crazy but it works - if you leave your car running, and want to avoid the three beeps, leave the driver door open a little and it won't beep at all. That is the only way around it...
Doesn't work for me.I leave door open to check mail and I get the beeps
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noel48
Doesn't work for me.I leave door open to check mail and I get the beeps
That's because the car knows the door was opened, and now it's closed, with the keys inside. It does not know you got out, and then back in.

It's working the way it should.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HummelS
That's because the car knows the door was opened, and now it's closed, with the keys inside. It does not know you got out, and then back in.

It's working the way it should.
Keys are in my pocket.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM
cavemantrader
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, to be clear. You have the key in your pocket, the engine is running. You jump out to run inside the house to get something, and the horn honks 3 times. Very annoying. Too bad it isn't a beep that many other cars have. Those aren't intrusive.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

here's a thought. On my C5 1/2 half of the horn died...it still worked but was much less annoying. I actually bought a replacement, but never put it in. The original horn was still loud enough for traffic, but way less annoying if you were near the car. All you have to do is pull out one of the electrical leads to the horn...one is the high note and one is the low...choose the one you like best.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Yes, I have - a little crazy but it works - if you leave your car running, and want to avoid the three beeps, leave the driver door open a little and it won't beep at all. That is the only way around it...
Anything new on this? I too do the vehicle shuffle in the AM and PM and this triple horn with the key in my pocket is incredibly annoying...the car is running and OF CoURSE the key is in my pocket...really three horn honks is the best we could do? SO ANNOYING on an otherwise flawless machine.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I get out with the engine running, and the key left inside the car, on a regular basis. Sometimes the key is outside the car, too. I have never had it honk at me. It only honks if the engine is turned off. So I guess there must be a setting to do allow this.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I get out with the engine running, and the key left inside the car, on a regular basis. Sometimes the key is outside the car, too. I have never had it honk at me. It only honks if the engine is turned off. So I guess there must be a setting to do allow this.
If you are leaving your FOB inside the car it won't do the triple honk I'm mentioning...though if you have it enabled it will honk at you that you have left your keys in the car...that is controllable. So far my "engine running / key out of vehicle" alert can not be turned off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?