C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?

I've searched the manual and the forum. This drives me crazy as every time I move my two cars around (getting C7 out of garage) and then moving the other car in it's place, I'm waking the neighbors. I've gone through all the menu's but don't see any option of turning this item off?

I know I can take the keys out of my pocket and leave them in the car so it won't beep the horn, but that just seems stupid to me.

Last edited by ldepalma; 11-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure if this is it, but on page 5-45 of the manual:

Remote Left in Vehicle Alert

This feature sounds an alert when the RKE transmitter is left in the vehicle.

Select Off or On.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

See how to video link below:

Last edited by MHFontaine; 11-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

No, this is not it. It's the opposite of this. Leaving the car running and the key (in my pocket) leaves the car - 3 short horn beeps and I believe there is no way to turn this off....
Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Sounds like my 2 1/2 yr old grand daughter if I walk out of the den for a moment. Doesn't matter that she's sitting in her grandmothers lap ........
Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

The C6 had this you just turn off the FOB reminder.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:08 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you walking away too quickly?
The C6 wants to sense the fob outside the car. Sensor is by the gas cap.
If you walk away too fast, the car can't sense the fob outside the car and beeps 3 times.
When I stand next to the car, pocket with fob by the gas cap, close the door and wait a second, my car doesn't beep. Seems annoying to stand like that but it works for me.

Note: after you've had the car a few years and this doesn't work, it means the battery in the fob is getting low. New battery and it works again.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
The C6 had this you just turn off the FOB reminder.
Yep, and the C6 way worked like a charm. C7 doesn't have this option. I've looked everywhere for it....
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DonOH
Are you walking away too quickly?
The C6 wants to sense the fob outside the car. Sensor is by the gas cap.
If you walk away too fast, the car can't sense the fob outside the car and beeps 3 times.
When I stand next to the car, pocket with fob by the gas cap, close the door and wait a second, my car doesn't beep. Seems annoying to stand like that but it works for me.

Note: after you've had the car a few years and this doesn't work, it means the battery in the fob is getting low. New battery and it works again.
This doesn't work on the C7. I just put gas in the car and was 6 inches away from the car and it still honks 3 times. I've even tried leaving the driver door open and as soon as I stand up outside the car, the horn goes off 3 times.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
This doesn't work on the C7. I just put gas in the car and was 6 inches away from the car and it still honks 3 times. I've even tried leaving the driver door open and as soon as I stand up outside the car, the horn goes off 3 times.
Mine goes off every time I get back in after filling up. At least it's a lot less annoying that the 3 loud beeps the C6 did.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey Ide,

I went through the manual and if you refer to page 5-41 for Vehicle Personalization, your answer would be in that section. I looked through the options and I am not 100% sure that it is in there. I may have pointed you in the same directions as the others have found.

Your dealership may know of some way to get this to function in the manor you wish. They would be your next stop. Since I am not able to be hands on, I cannot help much further. I do apologize.

If you decide to go to the dealership, please let me know and I can call ahead for you.

Please let me know the outcome. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Ide,

I went through the manual and if you refer to page 5-41 for Vehicle Personalization, your answer would be in that section. I looked through the options and I am not 100% sure that it is in there. I may have pointed you in the same directions as the others have found.

Your dealership may know of some way to get this to function in the manor you wish. They would be your next stop. Since I am not able to be hands on, I cannot help much further. I do apologize.

If you decide to go to the dealership, please let me know and I can call ahead for you.

Please let me know the outcome. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Kelly, but it is not in the manual. What is in the manual is if you forget and leave your key (keys) inside the car, you will get the horn chirps.

The problem is not leaving the key in the car (in my pocket), I get out of the car while it's running and this is where the problem is, you get the 3 loud horn chirps, whether you are just putting gas in the car or if I'm switching cars around at 5am doesn't make for a good neighbor when you hear how loud the horn is.

Last edited by ldepalma; 11-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Thanks Kelly, but it is not in the manual. What is in the manual is if you forget and leave your key (keys) inside the car, you will get the horn chirps.

The problem is not leaving the key in the car (in my pocket), I get out of the car while it's running and this is where the problem is, you get the 3 loud horn chirps, whether you are just putting gas in the car or if I'm switching cars around at 5am doesn't make for a good neighbor when you hear how loud the horn is.
I am sorry that it is not in the manual. That is why I said I was not 100% sure I had found your solution. I would be more than happy to call your dealership to see if they know of way to get this concern resolved. They would have more hands on knowledge that I would. I am sorry that I was not able to provide you the correct answer.

If you would like me to call your dealer, please PM me with the name of your dealer and I would be more than happy to give them a call.

I am sorry again, and I think its great you want to be a good neighbor.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
I am sorry that it is not in the manual. That is why I said I was not 100% sure I had found your solution. I would be more than happy to call your dealership to see if they know of way to get this concern resolved. They would have more hands on knowledge that I would. I am sorry that I was not able to provide you the correct answer.

If you would like me to call your dealer, please PM me with the name of your dealer and I would be more than happy to give them a call.

I am sorry again, and I think its great you want to be a good neighbor.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
PM sent.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM
cavemantrader
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent.
has anyone found a solution to the very annoying triple honk?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

To clarify, it beeps three times only when you exit the car while it is running? Or also when it is not running?
I've never heard it either way, but I always turn off the engine when getting gas.

Last edited by BigJoe; 03-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

as if this car doesn't get enough attention as it is.....yikes! I really want to avoid participating in this gremlin.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cavemantrader
has anyone found a solution to the very annoying triple honk?
Yes, I have - a little crazy but it works - if you leave your car running, and want to avoid the three beeps, leave the driver door open a little and it won't beep at all. That is the only way around it...
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, I have - a little crazy but it works - if you leave your car running, and want to avoid the three beeps, leave the driver door open a little and it won't beep at all. That is the only way around it...
thanks....that's not so bad.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

or just turn off your engine if you leave the vehicle with the key...seems like a nonissue for 99.9% of people.

if you didn't have a smartkey then the key would stay in the car in order to keep it running. if you take the key with you and leave the engine on I would be glad the car is telling me I am doing it wrong!

Quick Reply: Can you turn off the triple beep of key leaving the car?