Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dalinone
Can anyone provide any comparisons or recommendations on Xpel Ultimate vs. 3M Scotchguard? I know there are two different 3M products, with the Scotchguard being the better of the two.
Thanks.
I have had the Xpel ultimate film on my wifes BMW (18 months) and my 2500HD (16 months) No issues at all.

I hit a large road gator (truck retread) in the BMW on the way to FL at 80+. All it did was scuff the Xpel ultimate film. I polished off the scuff by hand when I got home.

Besides the fact that the Xpel has less orange peel then the 3M product, it is also self-healing if you get a scratch and reacts better to machine polishing.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM
dalinone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmblack3
I have had the Xpel ultimate film on my wifes BMW (18 months) and my 2500HD (16 months) No issues at all.

I hit a large road gator (truck retread) in the BMW on the way to FL at 80+. All it did was scuff the Xpel ultimate film. I polished off the scuff by hand when I got home.

Besides the fact that the Xpel has less orange peel then the 3M product, it is also self-healing if you get a scratch and reacts better to machine polishing.
Very informative. Much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
dalinone
Advanced

Did you do the full hood package or just partial hood/fender/mirror package? Is the full hood package worth it?
Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Besides the fact that the Xpel has less orange peel then the 3M product,
If the 3M product is VentureSheild, your claim is flat out FALSE
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenHorse
If the 3M product is VentureSheild, your claim is flat out FALSE
Actually Ken if you read the posts you will see the original question was asking if Xpel was smoother than 3M Scotchguard. I think its pretty clear what he was replying to... and his reply is correct. Now as to your statement I would actually say Xpel Ultiamte is as smooth or smoother than Ventureshield... and Xpel Ultimate is a superior film to Xpel. I installed Ventureshield for 8 years before switching over to Xpel and then Suntek. Ventureshield scuffs very easily and doesn't self heal. Also Ventureshield was changed a little once 3M bought them out. I prefer Suntek over either film but would not install Ventureshield anymore due to it not having a true topcoat, its lack of durability, and the films has the same adhesive now as 3M Scotchguard... which is entirely too strong and will stay on the paint when the film is removed.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
kirbsc
Racer

I had my C7 completely wrapped with XPEL http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

I'm in St Louis and the company that need the excellent work is Clear Auto Bra http://clearautobra.com/.

You can't tell it's wrapped because the way he does it and wraps under the edges, if possible. I'll put some pics on soon.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:06 PM
dalinone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Actually Ken if you read the posts you will see the original question was asking if Xpel was smoother than 3M Scotchguard. I think its pretty clear what he was replying to... and his reply is correct. Now as to your statement I would actually say Xpel Ultiamte is as smooth or smoother than Ventureshield... and Xpel Ultimate is a superior film to Xpel. I installed Ventureshield for 8 years before switching over to Xpel and then Suntek. Ventureshield scuffs very easily and doesn't self heal. Also Ventureshield was changed a little once 3M bought them out. I prefer Suntek over either film but would not install Ventureshield anymore due to it not having a true topcoat, its lack of durability, and the films has the same adhesive now as 3M Scotchguard... which is entirely too strong and will stay on the paint when the film is removed.
I have received some feedback recently from an installer that sys he has had some recent issues with an inconsistency in the film that has required him to remove it. No, I have no assurance that it was not an install issue, although he does a ton on installs on high end vehicles. The local Lexus dealer recommends him.

He also has been using Suntek and recommends it highly. Says it has the same self healing and chemical resistant properties as Xpel and says the "films clarity is untouchable and leaves a slick finish that is really nice". Does anyone have any experience or know anything about Suntek??
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Point taken (I did miss the Scotchguard part). In which case yes. OP for sure

As for VentureShield, I found it to be quite durable (had over 40K miles on mine) and except for an occasional hit on the nose, looked as good as the day it was installed (this was over a JSB C6)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dalinone
I have received some feedback recently from an installer that sys he has had some recent issues with an inconsistency in the film that has required him to remove it. No, I have no assurance that it was not an install issue, although he does a ton on installs on high end vehicles. The local Lexus dealer recommends him.

He also has been using Suntek and recommends it highly. Says it has the same self healing and chemical resistant properties as Xpel and says the "films clarity is untouchable and leaves a slick finish that is really nice". Does anyone have any experience or know anything about Suntek??
Suntek is the primary film we install for many reasons. It is self healing so no need to worry bout light scratching and bug etchings like other films.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM
VegasAlleycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking into getting my C7 done in Las Vegas but the company uses Avery Nano-Fusion film. Has anybody had any experience with this film vs. the Xpel and/or SunTek?

Quick Reply: Clear bra