Sponsored by:

Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
That paint looks like it's not bonding well to the primer. Hopefully it doesn't start peeling off even more....
That's a better pic. They'll fix that. Inconvenient yes. But get all worked up over it? I learned a long time ago that my reactions to life is all I really control for the most part and my level of peace and happiness is in direct correlation to that. Take a deep breath, make notes, it'll all be ok.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
That's a better pic. They'll fix that. Inconvenient yes. But get all worked up over it? I learned a long time ago that my reactions to life is all I really control for the most part and my level of peace and happiness is in direct correlation to that. Take a deep breath, make notes, it'll all be ok.
I completely agree as to OP and how he handles it. To his credit, he doesn't seem like a "go off the deep end" sort of guy, and seems to be taking all this in as much stride as one could be fairly asked to do.

That said, Bowling Green needs to understand post haste that what they have control over is the presentment and finish quality of these cars. And whether or not the C7 will develop a good rep or not, and appreciate just how darned difficult it will be for them and Team Corvette to undo a rep for shoddy finish quality and panel fitment.

Please don't misunderstand. My intent isn't to bust your chops on your post. I just have a real concern at this point that this gets turned around before it provides any more hassle to customers and before it irreversibly impairs the C7s rep.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

First year birthing pains....and heartburn. Lets hope they get things together quickly.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Did GM revert back to 1960's technology for these cars? I have a feeling if everyone that buys one took it to a pro to look over they would be posting up pics too. Most people just don't look that closely, as we expect factory paint to be seamless.
True enough, for some; but, I looked at a TR 3LT car recently and because of these reports looked the car over very carefully. Found no runs whatsoever w/ minor OP. Fit appeared flawless, also. Truley a beautiful car.

F&F issues reported here have everything to do with when the car was built. Obviously earlier builds are the ones suffering the most because the more recent build I looked at appeared close to perfect.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I completely agree as to OP and how he handles it. To his credit, he doesn't seem like a "go off the deep end" sort of guy, and seems to be taking all this in as much stride as one could be fairly asked to do.

That said, Bowling Green needs to understand post haste that what they have control over is the presentment and finish quality of these cars. And whether or not the C7 will develop a good rep or not, and appreciate just how darned difficult it will be for them and Team Corvette to undo a rep for shoddy finish quality and panel fitment.

Please don't misunderstand. My intent isn't to bust your chops on your post. I just have a real concern at this point that this gets turned around before it provides any more hassle to customers and before it irreversibly impairs the C7s rep.
I don't go off the deep end over simple minor issues. If GM said it was normal then yes, I'd go off the deep end. I'm not going to flip and demand a brand new car or even a expect a answer as to how these issues happen. They did and nothing I can do about it! I know that my dealer and GM will do the right thing and make me happy with the outcome.

I post "issues" I have to inform others or even GM to potential issues so that you all can watch for these same issues or even just so others can see they are not the only one.

These post are not to whine and complain about how crappy my car is or how could these issues happen to a car or how they missed it in QC because my car for the most part is wonderful!

Is it annoying? Yes but at the end of the day it's a car and these issues can be addressed.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Runutzzz -

I agree w/ you to a point. however - can you imagine what your dealer would say if you tried to trade in your C7 w/ those paint blemishes? I dunno...the extent to which some of these cars were QC'd makes me feel like they just hit the "ok" button because there was management screaming not to miss dates.

Aceman
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceman
Runutzzz -

I agree w/ you to a point. however - can you imagine what your dealer would say if you tried to trade in your C7 w/ those paint blemishes? I dunno...the extent to which some of these cars were QC'd makes me feel like they just hit the "ok" button because there was management screaming not to miss dates.

Aceman
The dealer should knock off $1-2k because they think the car has been poorly repainted due to the flaking. LOL

I was a "Nashviller" I didn't get my car for over a month after it was built so I'm sure mine wasn't just pushed out to get it out the door. I do wonder what they really did down there.

This issue with the paint wasn't too obvious. I haven't noticed it for the past month and today under the perfect lighting (Fluorescent light reflecting right on the spot) I spotted it.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I don't go off the deep end over simple minor issues. If GM said it was normal then yes, I'd go off the deep end. I'm not going to flip and demand a brand new car or even a expect a answer as to how these issues happen. They did and nothing I can do about it! I know that my dealer and GM will do the right thing and make me happy with the outcome.

I post "issues" I have to inform others or even GM to potential issues so that you all can watch for these same issues or even just so others can see they are not the only one.

These post are not to whine and complain about how crappy my car is or how could these issues happen to a car or how they missed it in QC because my car for the most part is wonderful!

Is it annoying? Yes but at the end of the day it's a car and these issues can be addressed.

Your posts are very welcome because they are reasonable and well thought out. There are folks like me out here watching the C7 release and we need this info to decide what we want to watch out for if/when we finally decide to buy.

Thank you.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I posted on another thread that my #307 has a very high quality fit & finish, so not sure if the problem is necessarily exclusive to early builds. Inconsistency would seem to be the problem. From my perspective it seemed like they built a LOT of test cars-enough to the point that these issues should not be happening once the retail cars came off the line. Mine made the stop-off at Nashville for several weeks as well, but I doubt that was for F&F issues. This example, and others I've read about, would sure seem to be things caught/fixed at the QC stage and not sent on for the customer and dealer to address.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow another QC thread.

Giving the OP a hard time is ridiculous. These blemishes are unacceptable on any new car regardless of the price.

None of you guys would accept these issues on your new C7 so stop pretending that this is no big deal.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Did GM revert back to 1960's technology for these cars? I have a feeling if everyone that buys one took it to a pro to look over they would be posting up pics too. Most people just don't look that closely, as we expect factory paint to be seamless.
I agree these are some of the worst yet, sorry to see these pics OP, this is total BS
Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Your posts are very welcome because they are reasonable and well thought out. There are folks like me out here watching the C7 release and we need this info to decide what we want to watch out for if/when we finally decide to buy.

Thank you.

Ditto for me!
I Really want to purchase a 2015 but dont need the agravation with respect to QC that should have been taken care of before delivery. Time will tell.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Yeah Ox,

I just sit around all day making stuff up...

Just went out and took a better pic just for you!

WOW that is the worst yet, ignore all the GM Lovers, some on here will never admit anything is wrong with a Corvette, to them it just can not be true.

This is the worst New Car I have ever seen from a Paint QC stand-point.

Last edited by Carnut12; 11-10-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

cheeze and rice, tough crowd here! Not sure what it is about today's forum members, but we were a lot friendlier when the forum started back in '98 ....scratchin' me noggin.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm happy with the car. Im not disappointed.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would say that's pretty darn bad. They need to fix it. Luckily it's easily fixed.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Quick question if these flaws were found during a museum delivery could you refuse the car or would they in fact not deliver it?
I have been reading this forum for quite some time and so far I have not read anyone complaining about anything that major at a museum delivery. Seems to me that they really go over the cars really good to fix any issues that they find. I remember one member saying he found an issue and the car was brought right across the street immediately and the panel was replaced. To me the museum is way worth the money besides for the memories,education and VIP treatment you are given. You get a perfect car, cosmetic free.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This pic makes it look far worse for sure. I'm just shocked you hadn't mentioned it before this as that is worse than any squeaking of the tail lights. Good luck with your getting it fixed.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Put away the magnifying glass and drive the car for &^%$$ sake!!
No kidding. This is getting to be like a mob mentality. A few start to whine then we get more complaining. When in reality, if you want to go around the car, any car for that matter, problems could be found with something. If it's a mechanical problem or something of major concern, (and there are bound to be some), then ya, get it fixed. Otherwise this is getting comical!
Oh gee, I think I heard a squeak. Or, hey guys take a look at this, if you look just right in the proper light, I think there might be a paint issue.
It's a car, drive it. More dings and paint chips will show up in the next couple of months anyway. If it bothers you, fix them. Then drive it some more.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedlink
No kidding. This is getting to be like a mob mentality. A few start to whine then we get more complaining. When in reality, if you want to go around the car, any car for that matter, problems could be found with something. If it's a mechanical problem or something of major concern, (and there are bound to be some), then ya, get it fixed. Otherwise this is getting comical!
Oh gee, I think I heard a squeak. Or, hey guys take a look at this, if you look just right in the proper light, I think there might be a paint issue.
It's a car, drive it. More dings and paint chips will show up in the next couple of months anyway. If it bothers you, fix them. Then drive it some more.
You can not be serious...........

Quick Reply: Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling