So Ready but not prepared in the least

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:26 PM
SoReady
3rd Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default So Ready but not prepared in the least

Hello from central Kentucky,
I have finally been given permission by my husband of 27 years to purchase my first Vette. As bad as that may sound to some, let me explain, in his defense. Ever since he has known me I have never wavered from wanting a Vette. Every time we pass one or I have an opportunity to be near one, I do not pass it up. He on the other hand is a very conservative, point A to point B kind of car guy. As long as it gets him to where he wants to go, he is good. He was the van driving dad while I had the BMW. Now that our children are happy and healthy and (somewhat off payroll) my desire for Vette ownership has intensified. As luck would have it, we endured a Hail Storm (not the lucky part) 6 months ago leaving my Mazda 6 looking more like a golf ball than a car (there it is). Now that I am forced to look for a new car, it is time.....

As you can imagine, I am knowledgeable enough to go - oooohh that one is pretty; enough to be dangerous, right? I am in desperate need of your collective expert opinions and guidance to help me maneuver the purchase of my first Vette. I WANT TO AVOID at all costs, hearing my husband say, "I told you so" with every ounce of my being. I have witnessed your brilliance over the years as I have been ghosting many threads throughout that time. I am ready to make it official and in all seriousness, I could use anyone who would like to help a 50ish (more on 50 side than 60) lady find the right fit. I would be forever grateful!!! I need a new baby to take care of.... Looking forward to checking out the forum in a more intentional way.

PS - I think I am leaning toward a C7, convertible with manual transmission. That should get the party started. Seriously, wide open to any advice. Thanks in advance for holding my hand through this adventure.

The following 7 users liked this post by SoReady:
Bayshore Vette (03-04-2024), Factoid (03-04-2024), Maxpowers (03-05-2024), miami08VETTE (03-04-2024), orwollma (03-04-2024), Red86Cfour (03-04-2024), Redsoxnation (03-04-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Corvette search.

Since you mentioned a C7, I am going to move this over to the C7 General section where hopefully you will get some good advice.
The following users liked this post:
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:34 PM
VMace21
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SoReady
I have finally been given permission by my husband of 27 years to purchase my first Vette. As bad as that may sound to some, let me explain, in his defense. Ever since he has known me I have never wavered from wanting a Vette. Every time we pass one or I have an opportunity to be near one, I do not pass it up. He on the other hand is a very conservative, point A to point B kind of car guy. As long as it gets him to where he wants to go, he is good. He was the van driving dad while I had the BMW. Now that our children are happy and healthy and (somewhat off payroll) my desire for Vette ownership has intensified. As luck would have it, we endured a Hail Storm (not the lucky part) 6 months ago leaving my Mazda 6 looking more like a golf ball than a car (there it is). Now that I am forced to look for a new car, it is time.....

As you can imagine, I am knowledgeable enough to go - oooohh that one is pretty; enough to be dangerous, right? I am in desperate need of your collective expert opinions and guidance to help me maneuver the purchase of my first Vette. I WANT TO AVOID at all costs, hearing my husband say, "I told you so" with every ounce of my being. I have witnessed your brilliance over the years as I have been ghosting many threads throughout that time. I am ready to make it official and in all seriousness, I could use anyone who would like to help a 50ish (more on 50 side than 60) lady find the right fit. I would be forever grateful!!! I need a new baby to take care of.... Looking forward to checking out the forum in a more intentional way.

PS - I think I am leaning toward a C7, convertible with manual transmission. That should get the party started. Seriously, wide open to any advice. Thanks in advance for holding my hand through this adventure.
R3 Motorcars in Piedmont SC look them up ask for Rusty great shop / very helpful / awesome cars . The manuals are getting hard to find

Good Luck the hunt is most the fun

Old 03-03-2024, 09:43 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I would suggest a C5 2001 or newer. They are excellent cars and much simpler for your 1st. I had my 01 for 16 years and 150,000+ miles and it was great.
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:51 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Correct choice. Add to that the trim level of 2LT and Z51 model and your research is finished. Newest year and lowest mileage you can afford. Post pics when you get it and have fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woodson:
MY04CE (03-05-2024), SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:53 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

"I think I am leaning toward a C7, convertible with manual transmission." Sounds great! Go for it... and, enjoy!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Avanti:
Blackwater0323 (03-05-2024), LOLLO_ITALY (03-05-2024), SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:58 PM
^&right
Pro

Received 373 Likes on 179 Posts

Welcome! You didn't say what you are looking for beyond wanting a manual trans so I will offer my .02.

I bought my '15 convertible M7 2 years ago with only 3 things I had to have. Manual transmission, convertible, and Daytona Sunset Orange paint. Once I had narrowed down the color there were only two listed on the internet. I had no idea of 1LT/2LT/3LT, mag ride, or anything else. I got lucky. I bought a Z51 with mag ride and performance exhaust, navigation, 2LT car. I've added 12k miles in those 2 years.

the 2LT package is a must. heated and ventilated seats, premium sound system are the most talked about, but there are a few other extras on the package. Many say the Z51 isn't necessary. It isn't, but it is a wonderful package as it also gives you the electronic limited slip differential. Do your own research, but it is a techno wonder Chevy put into these cars. Gives the car another level of capability and enjoyment. For me, mag ride is a must have. I don't really get out of Tour or Sport mode, but it is a noticeable difference and gives a great ride. I do have one shock in need of replacement and current prices are nearing $400 on Rockauto. Not cheap, but neither is a Corvette.

NPP or performance exhaust. This is a 4 mode exhaust that allows you to change the dB of exhaust note from Stealth/Tour/Sport/Track. Quiet as a Camry or open it up to wake the neighborhood at throttle. All done from the infotainment system. I love it. Use track mode mostly when I have a Harley behind my blipping his throttle.

There is an update you can make to the nav system for under $150 and an update to the mag ride for ~$350 at the dealer if you buy one of the earlier years C7.

'16 and up came with flat bottomed steering wheels and apple car play/android auto as standard. Figure paying $1k to update a '14/'15. You have probalby already read about the OEM forged wheel cracking issues.

My '15 hasn't given me a single problem though I was able to hear a torque tube bearing making noise while on the lift running recently. I can't hear it when the car is on the ground. I'll drive it until it makes more noise.
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:06 PM
Itsmebryan
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I just pulled the trigger last year and I got a 2014 7sp manual 2LT convertible (non-Z51). I would recommend getting to get a 2LT. It comes with a lot of features like heated and cooled seats, heads up display, etc.. Pre 2016 C7s don't have AA/Carplay but, there is a easy fix. I have install the upgrade in my car. I have also done other upgrades over the last year. You also want to look up how to detect torque tube problems. If you have any questions let me know.
Welcome, Bryan

The following 2 users liked this post by Itsmebryan:
Redsoxnation (03-04-2024), SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:21 PM
gordoni
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Check out cargurus, CarMax and cars.com to find cars that have the features you like and get an idea of cost. Like others have suggested, the C7 2LT M7 is a great pick. Magnetic ride control is a good option but repairs/shock replacements can be steep cost-wise. Z51 package brings a lot of speed work features but can be a bit harder to find and demands a higher price. If you're not intending to track the car, I think you might skip the Z51 and find the base quite suitable. Still a very capable, beautiful car that you will enjoy driving, a little easier to find and lower price. Hope this is helpful.
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

You don't say. Can you explain how you arranged a hailstorm? Also, now that your kids are off payroll, are you in the market to get one on your payroll? Asking for a friend.

I would go for a 16 and up 2LT trim. I don't think much changed after that, gadget wise. If you want to buy it, you need to know someone to maintain it. Dealership X isn't more than a crap shoot. I would find the Corvette certified tech in your area for the C7 and that should narrow down your tech. Strike up a conversation with them and see which one you like best. When you get your car, find one that either has a warranty, short or long isn't as important. You need some time to do a Pre Delivery Inspection. Most people I see just open the hood, stare at the engine, go for a lap around the block and call it good. I got mine with a short warranty, had it checked out and found a bad key. They replaced it and wiped all other keys and reprogrammed it and the good one. Took over an hour to do the job. My thoughts.
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:01 PM
SoReady
3rd Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Wow - THE legendary Vetteman Jack already helped me out! Thanks!
Old 03-03-2024, 11:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

That's exactly what I decided upon. A new 2017 Corvette convertible, straight-drive with most all of the goodies on it, brand new, got -20% off MSRP, in November of 2017. Brought the price down to $63K. Love the car!
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:06 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Remember before model year 16 no front cameras or Apple car play or android auto
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:11 AM
joekd
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

To me the HUD plus heated/cooled seats were a must have so I only looked at 2LT/2LZ and 3LT/3LZ models, as soon as I saw one for sale I would look for the drivers side door open pic, if I spotted the storage bin instead of HUD controls I was done with that one

The C7 base and Grand Sport models share the same 6.2L with 460HP and same 7sp manual transmission options which is a very powerful combo for a car this light.

Good luck with the search!
Old 03-04-2024, 11:21 AM
MosEspa
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Everyone is going to have their own experiences and thoughts on this topic and I am sure some people will disagree with my opinions but since you asked...

C4 (1984-1996):
If you want a C4 then get a 1995 or 1996. They have the LT1 engine that has a known "opti-spark" issue but unlike the 1992-1994 versions they have wider / nicer seats and the opti-spark is vented (water is what damages / breaks them).
C4 can also leave you stranded if the VATS system decides to not work (thats the little security pellett embedded in the key that passes an OHM level to the car to say the key is authorized to start that car).

C5 (1997-2004):
If you want a C5 then I suggest a 2001-2003 for least problematic. You will see things about an EBCM (Electronic Body Control Module) that can go bad in these but the 2001-2004's are repairable but I say stay away from 2004 for the different gas-tank design. I have had 2 C5's though (a 2001 and currently a 2000 - I am fine risking the EBCM issue as it rarely goes bad).
C5 can also have the steering column lock issue that could potentially leave you stranded but is easily preventable with a gizmo called the LMC5 module.

C6 (2005-2013):
I would avoid last year of C5 and all C6 (2004-2013) as they all are prone to have gas tank issues where the tank leaks and will fill your garage with fumes. Before anyone gets upset with my statement no i am not saying it will happen to every one but as these cars age it definitely will be happening more and more and if a big goal is to avoid an "I told you so!" from the husband I would avoid those, especially if you can afford a C7.

None of this is meant to scare you but these are all real potential issues.

C7 (2014-2019):
If you can afford a C7 just forget everything I said before now and get a C7. They are going to have all the tech you need in them, they are easy to work on and there are no giant known issues that can leave you stranded.
If I were you I would avoid a Grand Sport or Z06 unless you REALLY want one of those and might track the car (This does not sound like something you will be doing) because the stock wheels on those are very prone to cracking and breaking. So plan on buying a new set of forged (not casted) wheels if you want one of those.
As far as Stingray (base model) the only thing to really look out as far as widespread issues is the A8 (Automatic 8 Speed transmission) can cause the car to shudder as you drive it more and more. There is a fix called a Triple Flush where they change the transmission fluid that almost always fixes the issue for people so - known issue, easy (kinda pricy depending on what is pricy to do you) fix.
The 2014 automatic Corvettes had an A6 (Automatic 6 speed) that was from the C6 generation and does not seem to be affected by this issue.
Also if you get a 2019 with a transmission that was manufactured after Feb 1st of 2019 they put the correct fluid in it to not cause the issue. So you should be safe buying one built after that date.
Or you can just get a manual and not worry about that issue

So if you are going for a C7, want an automatic and do not care about having the fastest best handling corvette out there I say focus on a 2014 or LATE 2019 C7 Stingray.
If you want a manual. Get any year of a C7 Stingray and drive it like you stole it. Sounds like other replies have already talked about trim-levels and such and what you might want in that.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps. Lots of things there I didn't go into too much detail that you can google for more info. Happy hunting!

EDIT: Also with any C5 or later just be sure to keep a tire inflator that can run on the 12v inside your Vette unless you put run-flat tires on them because these cars do not come with spare tires.

Last edited by MosEspa; 03-04-2024 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MosEspa:
MY04CE (03-05-2024), SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:34 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Good choice. Add "no 3LT" to that list (because of the dash delamination) and you're 95% of the way there. Also, avoid the wide-body (GS or Z06) unless it has aftermarket forged wheels (the OEM ones crack).

Also, definitely look for the NPP (performance exhaust) which lets you adjust the good sounds from mild to throaty.

The clutches on these things are very expensive to change as the torque tube needs to come out, it's about a $4k job. So don't buy one with clutch issues unless you get a big enough discount to fix it.

On to the finer points.

Next decision point is Z51 or not. The Z51 package will give you better handling and brakes, which you'll appreciate in a place with good roads (like KY) if you enjoy spirited driving or track time. However, it also has higher running costs due to the oil sump (more oil and complicated change procedures), bigger brakes and bigger wheels. The Z51 will cost more to buy but will also be worth more when (if?) you sell.

And then there's whether or not to get the magnetic ride control (MRC). I hear it works very well in improving handling and can adjust from the softest to stiffest. But shock absorbers are wear items and these are expensive to replace - I think around $2k and up? Maybe more? Non-MRC is likely the least expensive to maintain.

The non-MRC non-Z51 will have a soft compliant none. Non-MRC Z51 will be pretty stiff. Any with MRC will allow on-the-fly adjustment either way.

I wouldn't recommend Corvettes prior to C7 as parts are getting scarce (or so I hear).
SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 845 Posts

Welcome & good luck in your search. A C7 vert is a very solid choice
SoReady (03-05-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To So Ready but not prepared in the least

Old 03-04-2024, 12:15 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Manual convertible... Great choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by boraxman:
Bayshore Vette (03-04-2024), SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:39 PM
Bayshore Vette
@c7gsm7vert

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 367 Posts

You are going to hear many different opinions on what they think is best for you so here is my "two cents". First, please tell me how to get my 30 year old off the payroll! (He's saving for a down payment) Second, set your sights on a 2019 Grand Sport convertible, 2LT trim, with the 7-speed manual. Considered to be the most upgraded, least problematic of the C7s. That said, be prepared to replace the crappy OEM wheels (if not already done so by the previous owner). That is the price of admission if you get bit by the "wide-body" bug as I did. GOOD LUCK!

SoReady (03-05-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by MosEspa
Everyone is going to have their own experiences and thoughts on this topic and I am sure some people will disagree with my opinions but since you asked...

C4 (1984-1996):
If you want a C4 then get a 1995 or 1996. They have the LT1 engine that has a known "opti-spark" issue but unlike the 1992-1994 versions they have wider / nicer seats and the opti-spark is vented (water is what damages / breaks them).
C4 can also leave you stranded if the VATS system decides to not work (thats the little security pellett embedded in the key that passes an OHM level to the car to say the key is authorized to start that car).

C5 (1997-2004):
If you want a C5 then I suggest a 2001-2003 for least problematic. You will see things about an EBCM (Electronic Body Control Module) that can go bad in these but the 2001-2004's are repairable but I say stay away from 2004 for the different gas-tank design. I have had 2 C5's though (a 2001 and currently a 2000 - I am fine risking the EBCM issue as it rarely goes bad).
C5 can also have the steering column lock issue that could potentially leave you stranded but is easily preventable with a gizmo called the LMC5 module.

C6 (2005-2013):
I would avoid last year of C5 and all C6 (2004-2013) as they all are prone to have gas tank issues where the tank leaks and will fill your garage with fumes. Before anyone gets upset with my statement no i am not saying it will happen to every one but as these cars age it definitely will be happening more and more and if a big goal is to avoid an "I told you so!" from the husband I would avoid those, especially if you can afford a C7.

None of this is meant to scare you but these are all real potential issues.

C7 (2014-2019):
If you can afford a C7 just forget everything I said before now and get a C7. They are going to have all the tech you need in them, they are easy to work on and there are no giant known issues that can leave you stranded.
If I were you I would avoid a Grand Sport or Z06 unless you REALLY want one of those and might track the car (This does not sound like something you will be doing) because the stock wheels on those are very prone to cracking and breaking. So plan on buying a new set of forged (not casted) wheels if you want one of those.
As far as Stingray (base model) the only thing to really look out as far as widespread issues is the A8 (Automatic 8 Speed transmission) can cause the car to shudder as you drive it more and more. There is a fix called a Triple Flush where they change the transmission fluid that almost always fixes the issue for people so - known issue, easy (kinda pricy depending on what is pricy to do you) fix.
The 2014 automatic Corvettes had an A6 (Automatic 6 speed) that was from the C6 generation and does not seem to be affected by this issue.
Also if you get a 2019 with a transmission that was manufactured after Feb 1st of 2019 they put the correct fluid in it to not cause the issue. So you should be safe buying one built after that date.
Or you can just get a manual and not worry about that issue

So if you are going for a C7, want an automatic and do not care about having the fastest best handling corvette out there I say focus on a 2014 or LATE 2019 C7 Stingray.
If you want a manual. Get any year of a C7 Stingray and drive it like you stole it. Sounds like other replies have already talked about trim-levels and such and what you might want in that.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps. Lots of things there I didn't go into too much detail that you can google for more info. Happy hunting!

EDIT: Also with any C5 or later just be sure to keep a tire inflator that can run on the 12v inside your Vette unless you put run-flat tires on them because these cars do not come with spare tires.
I waited 3 months for a set of power steering hoses from 2 vendors on my C4. So many others. My usual habit was to go to GM, have a look up and hear "Obsolete. Now what can I look up for you?", go dumpster diving for a part that is in better shape than mine and hope to get it. Done with older cars. Won't ever recommend them to someone I don't like.

From what GM says, they used the old fluid on the A8 transmission and it was more sensitive to moisture in the fluid than the A6. I would and did just triple flush the transmission when I got it and go on. Jumping from the 16 to the 19 is a big price hike.

Even if I were to get a manual, I would NOT look at anything older than 16 for the gadgets.
SoReady (03-05-2024)

Quick Reply: So Ready but not prepared in the least