C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Sounds to me that the OP is getting nailed due to an unusual combination of Interstate and local road selections. I'm thinking that adding a way point (like "Price, Utah" ) that puts him on the shorter more direct (and desired) path would then solve this quirky problem.

Of course, I could be wrong as hell, nut...

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 08-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

In my recent 1600 mile trip, the system only gave me one wrong direction.
I was traveling east on an interstate, got off for gas and the system wanted to put me back on the interstate going west?? Ignored it and got on eastbound again and it quickly corrected itself and no further problems.

Like most systems, common sense and a sense of direction are required.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree something is wrong with nav. system. Just experienced same thing with trip from Monterey, CA. to Denver. It kept directing us up to I80, when we were obviously on Hwy 50 through Nevada (the Loneliest Road in America). Every road we passed, it wanted to take us up to the Freeway.

Ralph
Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Talon90 - I keep experimenting with this Nav system (and keep my ol Tomtom handy for reference). This morning we wanted to do to the local shooting range about 20 miles away, you can go there much of the way by 4 lane highway OR you can take some wonderful backroads thru the woods, over hills etc - a Corvette road for sure. Either way is approx. the same distance in miles, I cannot attest to the actual time difference.

So we started off using the new Vette Nav system - it seemed to insist we take the 4 lane highway, even after we intentionally took our 'country' way of going there. The Nav system kept trying to get us back on the 4 lane.

I have looked but am unable to find a menu option that will allow the "long way" to my destination vs. the quickest way. Is there an option that I don't see or understand that will allow me to take the 'longer in time' way to get to my destination i.e. I want the twisty road over hill and dale method? On the ol Tomtom I can change it the Shortest in distance vs. Fastest in time.

by the way - your hints, tips and thoughts have been VERY helpful - thank you for your efforts.

thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mikefeeser
Talon90 - I keep experimenting with this Nav system (and keep my ol Tomtom handy for reference). This morning we wanted to do to the local shooting range about 20 miles away, you can go there much of the way by 4 lane highway OR you can take some wonderful backroads thru the woods, over hills etc - a Corvette road for sure. Either way is approx. the same distance in miles, I cannot attest to the actual time difference.

So we started off using the new Vette Nav system - it seemed to insist we take the 4 lane highway, even after we intentionally took our 'country' way of going there. The Nav system kept trying to get us back on the 4 lane.

I have looked but am unable to find a menu option that will allow the "long way" to my destination vs. the quickest way. Is there an option that I don't see or understand that will allow me to take the 'longer in time' way to get to my destination i.e. I want the twisty road over hill and dale method? On the ol Tomtom I can change it the Shortest in distance vs. Fastest in time.

by the way - your hints, tips and thoughts have been VERY helpful - thank you for your efforts.

thanks
You might need to set the interstate to off to get it to stop pointing you to the interstate. I know if you say the shortest, you can end up in 4-wheelin' country!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
You might need to set the interstate to off to get it to stop pointing you to the interstate. I know if you say the shortest, you can end up in 4-wheelin' country!
OK, I will try that - thanks.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talon90
The arrows are an artifact of the earlier version of the software. The original plan was to develop an "app" store (Open source coding and development kits were created) but it has yet to have materialized. Once that functionality was enabled, you would have been able to add apps and that would have necessitated subsequent pages. Until that time that this functionality is enabled, the arrows will remain useless decorations.

Pressing on any icon and holding, will place the screen in to edit mode. In edit mode you can rearrange the icons (as you have discovered) and you can add or subtract icons to the quick access tray at the top. You can place up to five icons in the upper tray for quick access from any other app. For example, I have Audio, Phone, Nav, Weather and Microphone (Siri) in my upper tray. This way if I'm in the nav on route guidance and want to see the upcoming weather, one press of the weather icon takes me there as opposed to having to press the home button, press the weather app. It saves a step for frequently used applications. Press the home button to exit edit mode.

No other editable functions for the home screen.
Actually.....

You CAN move some of the (limited) icons to another screen page and the left and right arrows let you see those icons on the secondary screens.

I have moved some of my icons that I don't use to a second screen page where they happily exist out of my way.

Ed
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

OK, I will try that - thanks.
OK I tried the Interstate - OFF. This did not solve the issue.

Made this same trip today. One way using Nav System: 25.5 miles on combination of interstate and primary roads.

Coming back, according to trip ometer 23.1 miles and it was on 'rural' roads - twisty with hills etc (not 4 wheel drive type roads). And coming back the Nav system kept trying to navigate me to the interstate and primary roads.

Any suggestions out there - with this car I enjoy driving on back roads, twisty with hills.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

OK I tried the Interstate - OFF. This did not solve the issue.

Made this same trip today. One way using Nav System: 25.5 miles on combination of interstate and primary roads.

Coming back, according to trip ometer 23.1 miles and it was on 'rural' roads - twisty with hills etc (not 4 wheel drive type roads). And coming back the Nav system kept trying to navigate me to the interstate and primary roads.

Any suggestions out there - with this car I enjoy driving on back roads, twisty with hills.
Turn the volume for the Nav off and enjoy the ride. When you want to get back to civilization, turn the volume back up and it will take you the rest of the way!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:52 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

At the end of the day if you know where you are going what is the point of using navigation? Want to prove that you are smarter than the system see what happens when you are in the middle of (nowhere) an unfamiliar place and see how well you do vs. the navigation system.

Some may be more intuitive than others but once you get used to it I'm sure it will serve you well.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
At the end of the day if you know where you are going what is the point of using navigation? Want to prove that you are smarter than the system see what happens when you are in the middle of (nowhere) an unfamiliar place and see how well you do vs. the navigation system.

Some may be more intuitive than others but once you get used to it I'm sure it will serve you well.
I am willing to deal with the "intuitive" issues of using a new system. (And folks like Talon90 are very helpful in getting us over the learning curve of a new system.) However, as I have posted before, the issue with me the errors in the logic of the routing, of which I have posted a couple, the deletion of useful features from earlier GM systems (direct GPS coordinate inputs from soft keys and 3 route overlays (which would help the above posted routing problem)). Meanwhile, GM has integrated the OnStar system into the Navigation system (but only if you pay an extra $30/month for directions and connections) to "help" you with the routing. I wanted, and thought I was buying, a stand alone built in, state of the art navigation system. What I found was an improvement in some areas (better HUD and voice recognition integration, larger screen) but a step back in logic, deletion of features that you can only get now by involving OnStar, while limiting connectivety and pushing us toward OnStar and Chevrolet AppShop (which has been delayed). Even the vaunted "Remote Link" requires an OnStar subscription for other than the basic RKE fob features (and is limited to 5 years).

(PS, bottom line, I would not recommend the factory Nav system to a potential buyer unless you were either buying the 3LT package or wanted (2015 model) the PDR.)

Last edited by rohard; 08-30-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added PS

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS