Sponsored by:

Prices falling fast on new C7's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 AM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Funny how so few who have driven the car agree with his assessment... clearly no bias in his view after buying his new GS

In all seriousness, it's good that he's so happy with his GS, it's a great car. However, if his modded GS runs into a modded C7 with headers and a tune, he will, unfortunately, be looking at more C7 rear than he might like

I had a C6 and traded it in for my C7. If I had to do it all over again, I would even be willing to pay another 5k more for the privilege. The C7 is by far a more superior car than the C6. I had my C6 for 2.5 years as a daily driver. I have had my C7 for just over a month now and daily driving it as well. All I can say is the difference between the two is like night and day. My wife even agrees with me. She loves the C7 seats. Doesn't care so much for the instrument panel, but appreciates the more user friendly climate controls.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ready folks - I did a Dealer Inventory search and there were 3 pages of cars in the Dallas area. I think the new is wearing off prematurely.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
C7Amaybe
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
It's all relative. I'm sure some people look at me on the road and feel the same way about me and my Corvette. They feel perfectly content to drive their Hyundais and Hondas and feel I have a low self image and need a Corvette to validate myself. Like I said, it's all relative...
I agree. Actually you don't have to look to Honda drivers.

If you are middle age with kids, driving a vette will have more people thinking you are going through midlife crisis, as say if you drive a BMW M3 with 4 doors In fact some argue driving a 911 with the +2 seats for small kids shows more practicality, less of self validation. I do not agree but they do have a point.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bdevault01
Get ready folks - I did a Dealer Inventory search and there were 3 pages of cars in the Dallas area. I think the new is wearing off prematurely.
Just FYI, many cars that show up in inventory have not arrived at the dealer yet, and can also be pre-sold.

I was doing some hunting around before I placed my order to see a couple colors and when I got to the dealerships most had either not received the cars, they were pre-sold, or had been sold just recently.

The Chevy inventory system is pretty crappy.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Everybody loves to come on here and quote ads and then runs away....somebody go try and BUY ONE...and report back. I don't doubt the dam is breaking a bit, but it's nowhere in most metros like this thread portrays it..MSRP's are holding up and there is the occasional rogue dealer that does something stupid and gives away his only 3 allocations. So please spare me the post of "I got one at less than MSRP", I believe you......BUT.....

The general overall national situation is MSRP is holding, NOW ....it'll break big time next spring....GM volume and demand will see to that...

Last edited by Glen e; 11-20-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

As much as I like corvettes, I still think the controversial rear end on the C7 is having an effect on sales. As a C6 owner, I still cant get excited about the C7 and I know other C6 owners that feel the same way. I'm still waiting on it to grow on me, but so far it hasn't happened. Not ragging on the C7, I just feel the designers could have done a better job and created a car that would have appealed to a bigger audience.

Last edited by BigButtLover; 11-20-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
YearOneC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Was offered $2500 off by a local dealer I know yesterday

He said he thought they would be selling them at invoice by spring of 2014
What is invoice on the C7?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
As much as I like corvettes, I still think the controversial rear end on the C7 is having an effect on sales. As a C6 owner, I still cant get excited about the C7 and I know other C6 owners that feel the same way. I'm still waiting on it to grow on me, but so far it hasn't happened. Not ragging on the C7, I just feel the designers could have done a better job and created a car that would have appealed to a bigger audience.
it has been proven time and time again that your personal opin on the rear is NOT having an effect on sales...hell, THEY ARE SOLD OUT....still... in the general sense....
Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Hope the Widebody has some changes...even a small one would be great.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:02 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

You sound a lot like C5 owners when the C6 came out
Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
You sound a lot like C5 owners when the C6 came out
I was a C5 owner when the C6 came out and I didn't particularly care for the C6's design. There were a lot of us C5 owners that passed on the original C6's design, but bought a C6 after they redesigned it......

Then GM came out with a redesigned C6 that had a design that I liked and I bought one, for $20,000 more than the 2005 C6 went for. After the economy tanked, as did sales of C6's, it was the redesigned C6 that saved the day in sales(even though sales still were terrible, but not any worse than the industry as a whole).

Look at the changes in design with the C4 during it's run. Those changes helped keep the C4 alive.

GM won't be plowing new ground if they make some design changes in the C7 to widen their market.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree. And I was a C5 owner when C6 came out- Just not as anxious to move as i was then. hoping the widebody changes things.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree. The rear is what keeps me from getting excited about the C7 Corvette. I don't love everything else about the car, but I do very much like the vast majority of the car except the rear. The rear is the only thing that is a deal breaker for me.

The rear shouldn't "grow on you". That is BS. The rear (unless they redesign it) isn't getting any better. You may decide you can live with an ugly rear due to the rest of the car being so nice. However, don't fall into this "grow on me" crap. If I ever get a C7, they will either have had to redesign the rear, I just accept that I have an otherwise great car with an ugly rear, or I purchase a color which minimizes the ugliness of the rear (which is still not going to make the rear look good). You may get used to the ugly rear, but it is still ugly.

I think GM made a big mistake going with a controversial and polarizing rear. I think they have lost alot more sales than they have gained. If they toned down the awkwardness of the rear and dumped the rear mascara vents, dumped the huge black rear diffuser, and softened some of the hard edges slightly, I doubt many people who say they like the car would have not purchased. I think many people who who have purchased the car would have bought it no matter what the back looked like. The Alice Cooper comparison to the rear is a valid one.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdepew
I agree. The rear is what keeps me from getting excited about the C7 Corvette. I don't love everything else about the car, but I do very much like the vast majority of the car except the rear. The rear is the only thing that is a deal breaker for me.

The rear shouldn't "grow on you". That is BS. The rear (unless they redesign it) isn't getting any better. You may decide you can live with an ugly rear due to the rest of the car being so nice. However, don't fall into this "grow on me" crap. If I ever get a C7, they will either have had to redesign the rear, I just accept that I have an otherwise great car with an ugly rear, or I purchase a color which minimizes the ugliness of the rear (which is still not going to make the rear look good). You may get used to the ugly rear, but it is still ugly.

I think GM made a big mistake going with a controversial and polarizing rear. I think they have lost alot more sales than they have gained. If they toned down the awkwardness of the rear and dumped the rear mascara vents, dumped the huge black rear diffuser, and softened some of the hard edges slightly, I doubt many people who say they like the car would have not purchased. I think many people who who have purchased the car would have bought it no matter what the back looked like. The Alice Cooper comparison to the rear is a valid one.
Thats your opinion and i disagree. I love the new rear and so does everyone i've spoken too that have seen it in person. But you know what they say about opinions ...
If they soften the lines and change the rear back than your back to you dated, boring c6.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sting ya
Thats your opinion and i disagree. I love the new rear and so does everyone i've spoken too that have seen it in person. But you know what they say about opinions ...
If they soften the lines and change the rear back than your back to you dated, boring c6.
One thing a lot of these people do is pose a negative statement/question to people they are with, who agree with them just to shut them up, and then convince themselves that those people actually agree with them
Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did people not expect the prices to fall on the C7 lmao? Come on guys, it's not rare, it's a standard Corvette. Last month there were 2 or 3 of each color at our local Caffeine & Octane. I'm already done with it ready for the big dog to release!

Originally Posted by Mdm23
The fact that the GS and C6Z are still holding means that not everyone is salivating over the C7. And outside of gadgets and new factor the C6Z is a better performing (fact) and better looking (opinion)car.
I agree but the C7 is growing faster on me than I expected. Simple FACT is I don't want a base or even a Z51 C7. Just like I had no desire to own any standard C6. I have a 575rwhp C6Z that turns every head it passes. Guess what? It will continue to as well. While the next HiPo C7 will make all the standard C7s look boring I'm sure, just like IMO the C6s are. I saved and waited a long time to own this car and love it. C7 would be a HUGE step backwards for me. Now years down the road if I can step into the C7 Z0? well hell yeah, but I won't be paying $100k for it. If I was doing that I would be picking up a GT3.

Originally Posted by sting ya
Opinions are fine, antagonizing comments are just irrelevant. Which in return makes you look...well you know.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kdepew

Clearly, based on sales, most people disagree with you . Out of the hordes of people who look at my car and comment on it, none of them dislike the rear. People love it. The Corvette has to move towards the future like any other car. The C6 rear looks just like the C5. It's an old design and needed a refresh.

Get notified of new replies

To Prices falling fast on new C7's

Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
Clearly, based on sales, most people disagree with you . Out of the hordes of people who look at my car and comment on it, none of them dislike the rear. People love it. The Corvette has to move towards the future like any other car. The C6 rear looks just like the C5. It's an old design and needed a refresh.
^^^ YEP.
Here is a 30 year old Corvette. Yes, a major change in look was WAAAAYYY overdue:

Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
GM didn't bring back pop up head lights or the split front grills when the C5 guys were slamming the C6. The rear of the Stingray is the future.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
^^^ YEP.
Here is a 30 year old Corvette. Yes, a major change in look was WAAAAYYY overdue:

C1

C2

C3

C4

C5

C6

Six decades of Corvettes, spread over six generations and no one has been able to tell a C1 from a C2 from a C3 from a C4 from a C5 from a C6 until the C7. LMFAO. Maybe if they had changed the shape of the taillights on each generation of the Corvette over the past six generations the Corvette would have would have succeeded in sales increasing over the previous generation. Think so?

Along with the taillights, nothing else changed with the Corvette's design over the past six generations. Correct?

Quick Reply: Prices falling fast on new C7's