C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If you have to ask, perhaps this is more in line with your circumstance

Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most here can easily afford it with no problem, then gripe to high heavens because $500 is far too much money for specifically colored brakes (give me a break, er brake, er calipers). You will not find a group of people as cheap as us right here and when it comes to getting your money's worth, that's not a bad thing. I'll bet when all said and done there is only a small percentage (<10) here that can't really afford this car but are determined to "find a way". Most of us have lived through enough good and bad times to understand the value of a dollar and the value that a dollar brings. We also get big bang for our buck... regardless of how much money we have. It's the American way!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my general rule of thumb is if you wouldn't be forced to sell the car (or if you wouldn't even really feel pressure to sell the car) after losing your job or main source of income for 6-7 months, then you can afford it.

There's probably some factors I'm failing to consider there. There's no perfect way to draw the line. But I think that's a pretty good rule.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If you can afford to be on the internet all day you can afford a new C7 lol
Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
rkelon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All payments to income not to exceed 45% (including house), 6 month of expenses in the bank, active 401K, and safe driving record. Have a nice down payment in order not to end up backward in the car, buy from a reputable dealership that does not rip you off (MacMulkin). Newer Corvettes are not assets, they still depreciate. But they depreciate at a slower rate than most cars. So if you take care of it, keep the miles within reason, you will not loose as much money on this cars as you would with utensil grade cars.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am of the opinion that threads like these are generally started by people who desperately want a Corvette and know in their hearts they can't afford it, but are looking for some sort of approval or voice saying "Yeah, you only live once...Do it!"

What ever happened to the old practice of sitting down with a yellow legal pad, adding up your current monthly bills...including provision for retiring someday...subtracting that from your net monthly income and making a determination, keeping in mind things like roof leaks, frozen exploding water pipes, braces, etc. On top of that, most experts would tell you that you should have at least 3-4 months of monthly income in a liquid account, readily accessible in a "rainy day" fund for illness, temporary disability, etc.

Seriously...grow up!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I am of the opinion that threads like these are generally started by people who desperately want a Corvette and know in their hearts they can't afford it, but are looking for some sort of approval or voice saying "Yeah, you only live once...Do it!"

What ever happened to the old practice of sitting down with a yellow legal pad, adding up your current monthly bills...including provision for retiring someday...subtracting that from your net monthly income and making a determination, keeping in mind things like roof leaks, frozen exploding water pipes, braces, etc. On top of that, most experts would tell you that you should have at least 3-4 months of monthly income in a liquid account, readily accessible in a "rainy day" fund for illness, temporary disability, etc.

Seriously...grow up!

^ Is a white or pale green legal pad OK to use . . . . . .
Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ Is a white or pale green legal pad OK to use . . . . . .
Or a very frugal wife...lol
Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

You simply cannot reconciliate buying a two seat 70 k sports car as a financially responsible decision. It is an emotional decision and therefore requires intangible justifications like " you only live once...get your vette while you can!!!"
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Originally Posted by gofobroke
You simply cannot reconciliate buying a two seat 70 k sports car as a financially responsible decision. It is an emotional decision and therefore requires intangible justifications like " you only live once...get your vette while you can!!!"

I am trying to convince myself and my wife to take the jump into a C7 so I did some calculations.......

We own things for a while(10 years) so I looked at the value of a 2004. It is worth about 50% of what it cost new.

So applying that to the C7.....If we bought one that ran $62000, it would cost us $31000 in depreciation just to have it. That is not considering taxes and insurance. Averaging that out over 10 years and it comes to $8.50 per day just to have it.

That hit me in the face like a sledgehammer when I saw that number. Wow. I have to be sitting really pretty to do that......house paid for, no revolving debt, lots of $$ in the retirement, and lots of $$ in cash. Figuring I've got the first three accomplished but not the 4th.....I'll be buying used in 5-8 years.

$8.50 per day for 10 years....I'm out without lots of cash on hand.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Just curious to see what some of ya'll say. I considered both on mine. Not sure if their is a formula(like for how much of a house you can afford) for toys. Both my payment and principal as % of assets are lower than 10%. Seems like it wouldn't hurt for me especially because i know my man obama is going to change my diaper when I get old.

What about ya'll how do you budget in a badass toy like a c7.
take your income
divide by the number of kids you have living at home, or in college.
if the final number changes from the original number, step down the showroom and look at the Equinox.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin

I am trying to convince myself and my wife to take the jump into a C7 so I did some calculations.......

We own things for a while(10 years) so I looked at the value of a 2004. It is worth about 50% of what it cost new.

So applying that to the C7.....If we bought one that ran $62000, it would cost us $31000 in depreciation just to have it. That is not considering taxes and insurance. Averaging that out over 10 years and it comes to $8.50 per day just to have it.

That hit me in the face like a sledgehammer when I saw that number. Wow. I have to be sitting really pretty to do that......house paid for, no revolving debt, lots of $$ in the retirement, and lots of $$ in cash. Figuring I've got the first three accomplished but not the 4th.....I'll be buying used in 5-8 years.

^ Plus $3.50 a gallon fuel & maintenance . . . . . . together with your Taxes & Insurance.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 11-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
Personally i always look at these type of things on a cost to net worth basis--nothing to do with income. how much are you worth, after all liabilities are deducted. then, i set a totally arbitrary ratio, say, 10% of my net worth as a threshold for the cost of the item. in such a case, if i had 700,000 in the bank, net, i would think that 70K for the vette would be reasonable. alternatively, an excellent rule of thumb is this: if you have to ask, you cant afford it! (of course, the best rule is:what does the wifey-poo say?)
I don't think that method applies to many. For example a newly practicing medical doctor who earns in the hundreds of thousands a year but just finished residency so it'll still take a few years to save $700k but he can easily afford it.

Also what about the buyer of a Chevy Spark, I'm sure there are lots of people with less than $130k net worth who can afford to buy a $13k car.

This method would also mean for someone who just graduates from school he must take the bus until he can save $20k or so and buy a $2k beater lol.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

^ What is the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Interactive Details Book? Or am I missing a joke?

No joke....but interesting target demographics. One thing for sure is they aren't targeting my income.

My dealer emailed me a copy of the book. He said he emails it to all his customers to review the options before ordering. It's obviously geared toward the sales associate and not the customer. It's about a 1 meg pdf file. I'll be glad to email it to someone who'd like to post it somewhere on the forum???? It also contains links to videos about the car.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I think my general rule of thumb is if you wouldn't be forced to sell the car (or if you wouldn't even really feel pressure to sell the car) after losing your job or main source of income for 6-7 months, then you can afford it.
So anyone who is guaranteed 6 or 7 months of severence pay upon termination can afford it
Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

just think of the smokers lol 10 bucks a pack!

Get notified of new replies

To At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette

Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin

That's a bargain......Less than a pack of cigarettes everyday. I always get $h!t from some of of my coworkers that it must me nice to have money when they see my Vette (as they are sucking on a cigarette)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
drivestwin
Pro

^ Plus $3.50 a gallon fuel & maintenance . . . . . . together with your Taxes & Insurance.
Yeah, I didn't want to make it too scary, but.....

If you figure driving it 5000 miles....

200 gallons of gas at $3.50 per gallon $700 gas per year or about $2 per day.

Insurance..just quoted it, $419 per year for another $1.14 per day.

Taxes of about $4500 for a year, so another $12.33 per day.

I won't even throw in oil changes and tires and we are now at $24 per day of ownership.

Granted the taxes will go down from there, but still......wow.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think all of you are making a bad choice, I just wish I was in better $$ shape to join you all. And I've got stuff paid off.

I will just continue to look over the forums learning and learning until a used one is within my reality.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

If you can go in your mattress and pull out about 74K to pay for the car and not miss it you are good to go.

Quick Reply: At what net worth or what income level to consider a 70k vette