Old 03-19-2024, 11:10 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Wall mounted tire rack for storage

Any recommendations for tire rack storage? I've googled and read reviews on Amazon for several racks (wall mounted) and feel like I'm going in circles.

I'll be looking to store a full set of C7 wide body wheels. I don't want to just stack them in the corner and would like to mount a rack. If you use one, how does it handle the weight? Is it wide/long enough to fit a pair of 285 and a pair of 335 tires with wheels?

I'd love to hear first hand experience rather than finding out the hard way, like having it rip off the wall and crash down onto our cars.

I'm also open to homemade racks too, if you'd be kind enough to post pictures and a little info/details.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:33 AM
joekd
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

Think I already answered you on FB but I have one like this from Amazon mounted to my shed wall

Amazon Amazon

Side note, I am in Enfield if you ever wanted to come by and see it

The following users liked this post:
BAT (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 10:58 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Mine is great and is incredibly strong. It feels like it could hold triple the weight of my wheels/tires. I got mine at Canadian Tire which doesn't help you but a quick Google shows me what I believe is to be the exact same rack at Lee Valley Tools for $109.
Edit: I have the heavy duty one.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Do a search online for trailer mounter race tire racks and look at depth / length that will accommodate a full set of Z tires/wheels
Old 03-20-2024, 02:16 PM
FleetManager
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have two of these hanging in my garage and they have held up really well over time.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...e-storage-rack
The following 4 users liked this post by FleetManager:
BAT (03-20-2024), Donwuan (03-21-2024), NortonCO (03-22-2024), westsdad (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:33 PM
westsdad
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FleetManager
I have two of these hanging in my garage and they have held up really well over time.

I have 5 of these racks on my garage walls for the past 4 years and no issues at all. I've also attached a small winch to them to assist in loading / unloading due to project cars parked next to them.

Be sure to pre-drill into your wall studs (hard wood drill bit size) for the supplied 1/4" lag bolts or you will snap the heads off at the start of the threads (if not pre-drilled or an undersized hole).

https://handtoolessentials.com/blog/...izes-for-wood/

Photo is of one with an OEM set of Hellcat narrow body wheels on it. They can extend to 54" wide, so a set of wide body wheels with tires should fit.

Last edited by westsdad; 03-20-2024 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by westsdad:
BAT (03-20-2024), NortonCO (03-22-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:51 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I thought about a wall mounted rack and decided a simple $40 4 wheel moving dolly works best. I can stack my autocross tires/wheels and roll it around the garage and move it as needed.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:59 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a pair of the Tirerack wall mounts. They fit very nicely above your garage door as this space is generally wasted with most garage opener designs.

@westsdad- care to post a pic or two of your winch arrangement? Looking for ideas that don't require me to haul mounted tires up/down a ladder to store them in the Tirerack.
NortonCO (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:21 AM
westsdad
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Used a small winch like the following on the upper bar from the wall to lift the tire / wheel up while up on a small step ladder, hoist it onto the rack, release some slack, and finish stowing the wheel.

The mounts on the winch were slightly larger than the square tire rack frame.

Amazon Amazon

Ultimate would be to have a wall mounted swivel bar above the racks.

Last edited by westsdad; 03-22-2024 at 10:12 AM.
NortonCO (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:44 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Mine is great and is incredibly strong. It feels like it could hold triple the weight of my wheels/tires. I got mine at Canadian Tire which doesn't help you but a quick Google shows me what I believe is to be the exact same rack at Lee Valley Tools for $109.
Edit: I have the heavy duty one.
I have two of these and like them. One mistake I made was putting the second one above the first one (about 8 feet up). I thought I was saving space but carrying the tires up on a ladder is a pain.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Exactly the same here. I put both of them up high thinking I was saving room. Carrying mounted tires up a ladder is dangerous.
Widgeon5 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 01:18 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Ever wondered what would happen if you dropped a fully inflated tire from ~8 foot above your garage floor?? Let's just say 'nothing good'.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by joekd
Think I already answered you on FB but I have one like this from Amazon mounted to my shed wall

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDD58L3...AfdcR5sKt-xWkw

Side note, I am in Enfield if you ever wanted to come by and see it
I have 5 of these racks mounted to the walls in my garage. They will hold 3 of the wide-body tires but not four. The problem is they are mounted on two studs 48 inches apart and a couple of inches short of having enough space. They do make great folding shelves if you need folding shelves. I place some plywood across the bottom and when I need to get them out of the way (like replacing a hot water tank) I just remove the stuff on the shelves and the plywood and fold the racks up against the wall.

The wide body tires require at least 48.81 inches if they are packed tight. I prefer to have a little more space so they easily slide in and out of the rack. To hold my wide body wheels/tires I have this set of shelves that can be adjusted much wider:
Amazon Amazon

It has a top bar that spreads further than 49 inches which permits the rack to be hung from the top bar Vs being bolted into studs that are 16 inches on center.

Blll
BAT (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 06:30 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have 5 of these racks mounted to the walls in my garage. They will hold 3 of the wide-body tires but not four. The problem is they are mounted on two studs 48 inches apart and a couple of inches short of having enough space. They do make great folding shelves if you need folding shelves. I place some plywood across the bottom and when I need to get them out of the way (like replacing a hot water tank) I just remove the stuff on the shelves and the plywood and fold the racks up against the wall.

The wide body tires require at least 48.81 inches if they are packed tight. I prefer to have a little more space so they easily slide in and out of the rack. To hold my wide body wheels/tires I have this set of shelves that can be adjusted much wider:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016SOF7Y...mc_s_m_5_i_atc

It has a top bar that spreads further than 49 inches which permits the rack to be hung from the top bar Vs being bolted into studs that are 16 inches on center.

Blll
I mounted two 2x4's horizontally onto the wall studs and mounted the racks to those so now I can set the racks to any width.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:52 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,497 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by FleetManager
Originally Posted by westsdad
I have 5 of these racks on my garage walls for the past 4 years and no issues at all. I've also attached a small winch to them to assist in loading / unloading due to project cars parked next to them.
Be sure to pre-drill into your wall studs (hard wood drill bit size) for the supplied 1/4" lag bolts or you will snap the heads off at the start of the threads (if not pre-drilled or an undersized hole).
https://handtoolessentials.com/blog/...izes-for-wood/
Photo is of one with an OEM set of Hellcat narrow body wheels on it. They can extend to 54" wide, so a set of wide body wheels with tires should fit.

+1 for these from Tire Rack - very sturdy. I remain happy with the pair I installed in my garage about six years ago.
BAT (03-22-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Wall mounted tire rack for storage

Quick Reply: Wall mounted tire rack for storage