Sponsored by:

#5326 home with pics and comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Electron Mike
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 92 Posts

Default #5326 home with pics and comparisons

First, I want thank Rick Conti from Coughlin Chevrolet! He was able to get my order in with all of the Z51, FAY, and roof constraints in early October which as many of you who are still waiting know is not easy. I did wait three more weeks than expected for the order to be accepted due to constraints, but I count myself very lucky and know many of you are waiting much longer! Thumbs up Rick!

I watched the reveal in January, but didn't get to see a C7 until the ALMS race here in Austin at Circuit of the Americas (which the C6R racing team won!):

The yellow C7 that Chevrolet had on display at the race convinced me to order a Stingray of my own. It looked even better in person that in the many pictures I had seen before:

I HIGHLY recommend the buyer's tour for those of you considering it. Our tour guide Jerry Frey was very knowledgeable about the plant, process, and in fact worked on the assembly line building Corvettes for many years. Truly a great guy! We enjoyed meeting many of the nice folks who assembled the car as it went down the line, and I was able to start it at the end of the line before it rolled away:

We also toured the Corvette Museum after day one of the buyer's tour, a very cool place to visit! The cars in the delivery bays were detailed very well, and ready to go to their new lucky owners:

The anticipation after watching the car role off the line during the buyer's tour was great while waiting for the car. I used Plycar to ship the car from Rick's dealership in Ohio down here to Texas, and they did a great job. Very quick pickup after the car was available, quick transit time, and they have GPS on the trucks that you can use to track in real time. The first peek on arrival:

After two weeks of ownership, I am very impressed with the engineering, content, and improvement that the Corvette team has achieved. Bottom line the car is a blast to drive and draws a large amount of attention due to it's momentary rarity! 2014 Z51 Stingray, 7-speed manual, black wheels, MSRC, NPP, red calipers, black mirrors & spoiler, 2LT kalahari, carbon fiber dash.

Compared to the 2011 Z06:

The Z06 has that violent acceleration that is more subdued in the Stingray, but the C7 is very torquey and extremely smooth in it's power delivery. It is not as quick as a C6 Z06, but it is very quick and huge fun to drive. The improvements in the seats are immediately appreciated, as are the brakes and Michelin's. I was very surprised at the wonderful steering feel and exactness of the chassis, which can be partially attributed to the MSRC as well as the electric steering and new smaller steering wheel. Current C6 Z06 owners on the fence about moving to a C7 have a daunting choice - both cars are wonderful, if a bit different in their strengths and weaknesses.

Compared to the 2014 GTR-BE:

The GTR is similarly violent to the Z06 in acceleration, although the AWD traction at low speed makes it even more so. The MSRC suspension, steering, and chassis is very exacting in the Stingray much like the GTR but the C7 is significantly more refined and compliant. Braking power is immense in both cars, the biggest difference between the two being the tossability of the C7 due to significantly less weight and a higher level of refinement that the GTR is missing. Don't drag race a GTR if you are stock however, the Nissan is quick!

For those considering a C7 purchase coming from a C6 Z06, GTR, LS3 C6, or C5 Z06, I can provide more insight if it helps. I know making these purchases is often difficult when very few are available to drive, and for only short periods.

The C7 is a massive achievement and a huge leap forward for team Corvette in refinement, technology, and cutting edge driving dynamics. It's a looker too, providing sufficient garage art for me to look in on for no good reason!

Last edited by Electron Mike; 11-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Excellent story and comparisons! Enjoyed the photos too.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerdj
Excellent story and comparisons! Enjoyed the photos too.
Stunning ride!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great objective post! I just sold my 09 Z06 last weekend in anticipation of a C7. I placed my order for my 2LT Z51 yesterday. Pretty much the same specs as your. MSRC, Kalahari, Carbon Flash, Performance Exhaust but Arctic White instead of red. I'm really looking forward to the C7 and have no real worries going from the Z06. I was pretty easy on my Z06 anyway and rarely got on it that hard. I'm sure any shortcomings in power will be made up for in refinement, comfort and features.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful to those of making the switch and I feel even better now (not that I was even the least bit concerned) after reading your post.

P.S. Beautiful car and congrats!

Last edited by slief; 11-23-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on getting the new ride.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Stunning ride!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Very nicely done.

Love that color!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Congrats on a really sharp looking car.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL That is one BUSY Street at the NCM!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Electron Mike
Racer

Glad I could help, I'm sure you will be very happy with your new C7! White was also one of my top choices, it's going to look great with the carbon flash accents! Congrats on your order!

Originally Posted by slief
Great objective post! I just sold my 09 Z06 last weekend in anticipation of a C7. I placed my order for my 2LT Z51 yesterday. Pretty much the same specs as your. MSRC, Kalahari, Carbon Flash, Performance Exhaust but Arctic White instead of red. I'm really looking forward to the C7 and have no real worries going from the Z06. I was pretty easy on my Z06 anyway and rarely got on it that hard. I'm sure any shortcomings in power will be made up for in refinement, comfort and features.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful to those of making the switch and I feel even better now (not that I was even the least bit concerned) after reading your post.

Last edited by Electron Mike; 11-24-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Electron Mike
Racer

Thank you all for the compliments!

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Congrats on a really sharp looking car.
The NCM was indeed busy with deliveries! There were an additional six cars in the pre delivery bay as well as two more in the back corner not visible in the picture!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 AM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

GREAT post and NICE car!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

and will add "s" for plural. Nice cars!!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Beautiful in red! Enjoy! I've done two buyers tours and they're great.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by slief

Excellent write-up and nice comparo.

Congrats on your new 7. It's a stunner.

Get notified of new replies

To #5326 home with pics and comparisons

Quick Reply: #5326 home with pics and comparisons