C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Corvette Lease

Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I just don't understand what pleasure and "owner" satisfaction you can get from a car you don't actually own. It's sort of like bringing a "working girl" to a family reunion: she may look great, but she really is not yours
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM
J50
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RBLUVETT
I guess I just don't understand what pleasure and "owner" satisfaction you can get from a car you don't actually own. It's sort of like bringing a "working girl" to a family reunion: she may look great, but she really is not yours
You don't own a financed car either until you pay it off. Leasing is good for people who like to dump cars after 3 years or so. Obviously the lease term has to be decent at least for it to make sense. Some cars don't lease out well.

I've bought and leased...each has strong and weak points.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Interested??
Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe as a business expense?
Originally Posted by J50
You don't own a financed car either until you pay it off. Leasing is good for people who like to dump cars after 3 years or so. Obviously the lease term has to be decent at least for it to make sense. Some cars don't lease out well.

When you finance it's not yours either LOL

With a lease there's still a buy out option on most leases at the end of the term. On some cars with heavily subsidized leases it's actually better to lease as your "interest rate" can be very close to 0%.

Depends on the situation, I have a lease on a Volt and am SUPER happy I leased it as they dropped the MSRP $5k which killed resale value. If I would have purchased it I would be super pissed!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by J50

I've done both over the years but the only way I lease is with $0 down...

Don't know if I will lease or finance my C7...rates etc will dictate what I do when I buy in Q1 2014...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Wolfmayhem
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One interesting item to note from this lease chart...the residual value on z51's is 2% higher than non z51s. I knew the resale would be higher for a z51 but it's nice to see that from an outside party as well.

With an increase of 2% on the residual it's basically a free option through a lease. The 2% increase in residual gives you at least $2,700 of additional value at the end of the lease on a $2,800 option.

Good deal!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
patrickboyle
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is interesting to me as well. I've done both in the past ..Lease and buy Corvettes as well as other vehicles. I leased my '03 & bought my 2009 Z06. I'm currently leasing a 2014 LTZ Silverado & the interest rate is close to zero...It made no sense to Purchase this vehicle especially given what I got for my truck on trade! Cash is now invested..making me $$ It will be interesting to see where the lease deals come in when I get ready to purchase :o)
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Your post shows that you are completely missing the entire point when it comes to reasons for 'leasing' something. The point of a lease isn't to pretend like you own it. The point is to limit the amount of time & money you are willing to spend.. while you enjoy it. When that time expires, you then have the absolute freedom to move on to something else. Case in point. You do not hire a working girl to come a family reunion. You hire a working girl for no-strings attached sex. Technically speaking you are paying her to get up and leave when you are done. Because just like most things in life, the longer she stays with you, the more you end up spending.

And thats the same point of a rental/lease. This is for someone who only wants the base Corvette experience for 2 or 3 years.. and then wants to move on to something else. Could be another brand. Could be the Z-car when its finally released. Either way, for many people a brand new car is something they want to enjoy for a couple of years and not worry about any future issues. Headaches that can come from maintenance/warranty/buying/selling/depreciation/taxes.

If they know up front how much they are willing to spend for this few years of experience and they are only interested in a long term 'rental' of a car.. then the hassle of buying & selling would simply end up being a more costly road to take.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Then you don't understand leasing. And you don't OWN a financed car until the LAST payment is made.

It's like folks that proudly trumpet about paying cash for a car, which in this era of cheap financing, is about the most financially stupid thing one can do.

Jimmy
Old 12-03-2013, 06:17 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Your post shows that you are completely missing the entire point when it comes to reasons for 'leasing' something. The point of a lease isn't to pretend like you own it. The point is to limit the amount of time & money you are willing to spend.. while you enjoy it. When that time expires, you then have the absolute freedom to move on to something else. Case in point. You do not hire a working girl to come a family reunion. You hire a working girl for no-strings attached sex. Technically speaking you are paying her to get up and leave when you are done. Because just like most things in life, the longer she stays with you, the more you end up spending.

And thats the same point of a rental/lease. This is for someone who only wants the base Corvette experience for 2 or 3 years.. and then wants to move on to something else. Could be another brand. Could be the Z-car when its finally released. Either way, for many people a brand new car is something they want to enjoy for a couple of years and not worry about any future issues. Headaches that can come from maintenance/warranty/buying/selling/depreciation/taxes.

If they know up front how much they are willing to spend for this few years of experience and they are only interested in a long term 'rental' of a car.. then the hassle of buying & selling would simply end up being a more costly road to take.
And it hasn't been mentioned yet but the size of your monthly payment is always less in a lease deal than in an outright buy. With 0 down on a 36 month buy (for example) your payments are huge, whereas the lease payment on the same vehicle is way, way less. Basically, you are only paying 'rent' on the value above the residual value. Best part is you can walk away after 3 years when the warranty is done. However, I will grant you this....lease deals are based on MSRP minus any incentives in place at the time of the transaction. Whereas, on a buy, the capitalized cost is most often negotiated downward. Well, except in the case of shelling out MSRP when buying a C7.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 PM
chuber1986
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary
Currently we would have to submit the deal to Ally to get the rate as there are no incentivized rates. We have not submitted any leases yet.

As the super low mileage leases start tomorrow we think Ally/GM may give us some idea. Otherwise it will be on a case-by-case basis.
Any idea what those would be as this interests me
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we get some numbers already ?
With 2-3k down , what kind of monthly payments are we talking about ?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM
0Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Can we get some numbers already ?
With 2-3k down , what kind of monthly payments are we talking about ?
I will have my finance department work up a couple numbers tomorrow on a base car. It looks like Ally standard rates will range from 4.79% to 11.29% based on the term and tier. I will have this confirmed tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary
I will have my finance department work up a couple numbers tomorrow on a base car. It looks like Ally standard rates will range from 4.79% to 11.29% based on the term and tier. I will have this confirmed tomorrow.
Wow - 4.79% to 11.99% is pretty high in today's market.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM
0Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Wow - 4.79% to 11.99% is pretty high in today's market.
It certainly seems so. Though those are lease rates. And GM and Ally trully have no need to incentivize the car right now. We'll see what the numbers look like soon.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM
No Shot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

well, for every $1k you put down, it should lower lease approx. $30/mo. I usually lease (business purposes) but I actually bought my C7 as there were no lease deals and I got 2.4% financing. if I calculate right, i'm paying pretty much the same number on a buy. not bad...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by J50

Exactly.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Lease

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

The worst thing about leasing is the confinement. Buying, whether making payments or not, you have far more flexibility any time you wish.

The pro-lease cheerleaders always conveniently ignore this.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt
The worst thing about leasing is the confinement. Buying, whether making payments or not, you have far more flexibility any time you wish.

Please explain your point in a little more detail. I haven't leased a car since 1995, so I am probably out of the loop and actually interested in what you're talking about.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt

Yes, if you drive high miles/year. But on a Corvette a 12000 mile/year deal would most likely satisfy anyone here, unless you are a salesman and use a vette in your daily grind. One thing I forget to mention above is the State sales tax, or excise tax, on a lease deal is always calculated on the MSRP. And, here's the real pisser, you have to pay tax on the incentives too! So. here in Michigan on my latest lease I got $4250 in incentives off the deal, but had to pay 6% sales tax on that amount...and it's upfront coupled with the first month's payment...the gubment will always get their unfair share.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Lease